Living close to powerlines?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Living close to powerlines?
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 2:58 PM

Ok ladies I am driving myself crazy with research so I thought I would ask for some more opinions.

My DH and I are trying to buy a house, and earlier this week found a house we like and put an offer on it. Its a HUD home so we won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday once they get through all the offers. The thing I am worried about is the house is VERY close to a few powerlines. Theyre are across the street and on the other side of the very small park. Does anyone know if there really is a risk to living this close to them? I have found so many contradicting studies. And heard stories of women who had no problems getting pregnant not be able to carry full term after moving close to powerlines. I really want to start a family soon, but if it is going to be an issue, I don't think that is the house for us. What do you ladies think??

Thanks for the input!

FutureMrsPrice Posts : 12 Registered: 3/30/09
Re: Living close to powerlines?
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hi Nessa

I'm from a town situated right beside a nuclear power plant (ie. a lot of power lines) and I have never heard anyone report any ill effects. There is a family from my church that have a row of power lines directly on their property and they are the proud parents of six children (two sets of twins) so I doubt it has a negative effect on fertility, in her case it seems to have had the opposite effect!

Anyways, this is just my personal experience. I am by no means an expert on the subject and if living that close to power lines makes you feel uneasy, I wouldn't suggest it as your peace of mind is most important. However, my father has worked at the power plant for 30+ years and is healthy as a horse and is the proud dad of both myself and my sister :)

Just my two cents! Good luck whatever you decide :)

• Nicole

wedding website

Edited by: FutureMrsPrice on Jul 31, 2009 3:15 PM

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hey, I have to go off of personal experience as well. I live right next to OUC (Orlando power). You can hear the powerlines humming all the time. Really cool. There's a nuc pwr plant about 5 miles from my home. The only negative effects I had heard of were headaches and allergies being bad because of the powerlines/pwr plant. I haven't experienced either more than I used to so you never know.

Personally, I would ask your OBGYN to provide you with solid facts one way or the other.
Happiness is you MIL's face on a milk carton.

wedding ticker 

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Thaks so much for the input. I didn't think to much about it, but our realtor told me to do some research and thats when I started getting a little worried. But the big one isn't as close, and I don't recall hearing any humming or anything. Plus the park is right there, and a huge sports park, so I don't think it is a huge deal. Like I said I did a little research and got worried with the conflicting stories

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I can assure you that the stories of issues with them is when they are literally in your backyard and you can hear them hum. (That's what causes the headaches I've been told) If you have concerns I agree with the PP who said ask your ob/gyn. Good luck!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 6:03 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Dear Nessa,

I do not believe the issue is with the power lines. Instead, I would be worried about the perception of power line danger on the part of potential buyers of the house when you eventually sell it or need to rent it to renters.

In other words, you will most likely sell it for a depressed price. If you can buy it for a depressed price, then you haven't lost any money. It's a push both ways.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 11:40 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I will talk to an OB/GYN as soon as I get insurance to be able to see one. I may ask at my appoitment at planned parenthood here in the next week or so also.

Aunt~ The resale issue did cross my mind. But the area and subdivision its in is very high in demand, and Denver's housing market is already soaring up so I am not to worried about it. I think this house is the only vacant house on the block, and there were about 3 that sold with in the last month.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa, my parents, sisters all have powerlines near or on their property. My parents had 5 kids, and both of my sisters had 2 kids each. I never heard of powerlines causing feritility problems.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 7:03 AM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Sweetheart Neckline Strapless Cathedral Train Taffeta Wedding Dress Style Monalisa Royale
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Sexy Deep Sweetheart with Spaghetti straps Knee-length Organza Cocktail Dress
Save up to 44% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $78.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sexy-deep-sweetheart-with-spaghetti-straps-kneelength-organza-cocktail-dress-p-32631.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine