Birth Control Blues NOW UPDATED

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Re: Birth Control Blues (Yaz anyone?)
Posted: Jul 10, 2009 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo until I was about 21, then I started with the spotting and my cramps and mood were unbearable so I was switched to YAZ. My doctor told me that was common because my body was changing and the Lo was too low, I guess.

I was on YAZ for about 5 months and I had the spotting every 2 week problem. I would get my period and then 2 weeks later spot for a couple of days, so I was then switched to Loestrin24. I have really bad cramps and YAZ was making my cramps bother me on the 2nd day, my doctor said that was normal of YAZ and that Loestrin24 regulates that. That is why I switched. I am like you, although I never tried a ring, the idea of it being there bothers me.

As far as acne, I know that you said that yours isn't bad, you only get it around your period, the only problem I get sometimes is I get a couple right before my period sometimes because of my hormones. I think sometimes if I have been stressed and due for my period I get a pimple.

My only other problem with YAZ was that I am large ontop and it made the width of my boobs get larger, if that makes sense because of the extra fluid.

Hope that helps, but I don't know anyone else who was on it. good luck!

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 10, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Ariana- I could use some more fluid on top. lol j/k I never thought about the Lo being too low. My hormones probably aren't as raging as they were at 21. I think the best thing for me to do is write everything down that I'm feeling so I won't forget in the dr office.

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

I'm on Yasmin and I find it's alright. It certainly has helped with my headaches/migrains and after several months, my minor acne spots totally cleared up. My pd usually lasts for about 5-6 days but I'm used to it and it hasn't changed regardless of what pill I'm taking.

The one thing I have noticed is that I become emotional wayyyyy more easily than ever before. I'm guessing it's the pills (seriously, a sappy commercial can bring a tear to my eye... ugh).

Anywho, it is expensive because it's name brand but if you're really unhappy on your current pills, it's probably best to switch. Ask your doctor what he/she thinks - I've seen an pretty awesome chart describing all the different available pills and what they work best for (aside from preventing conception).

Good luck!

MrsLorJesCar Posts : 30 Registered: 3/20/09
Posted: Jul 16, 2009 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I've only been taking birth control regularly for about 2 years. I tried it when I was a teenager because my gyn sorta pushed me into it. I guess since most teenage girls are having sex, so was I. Anyway, since dating my husband I have been taking Yaz...and for a brief time Yaz's big sister Yasmine. The same gyn put me on Yasmine because I was having ovarian cysts. They were afraid I was ovulating with Yaz so they changed it as an experiment. However, I'm now back on Yaz.

My comments
Yasmine-Basically the same as Yaz. It cleared up the cysts, which means I WAS ovulating on Yaz. I wasn't getting pregnant because I've been on BC so long my uterus wouldn't make a happy place for a baby to grow (Thank God!). However, the side effects on me were not, absoltuely not worth taking birth control at all. (Sidenote: we were switching around during wedding planning!) My hair started to thin, mood swings and fatigue were out of control and I gained a good 15 lbs. I tried the gyn's new regime for about three months and I finally begged her to put me back on Yaz. Id rather have the pain of ovulation than be a complete b*t*h to everyone. Not worth it.

Yaz-LOVE IT! I still have ovulation pain but I simply take tylenol or ibprofen to subside the pain. no acne, no hair loss, no weight gain (even though I am having a horrible time taking off the Yasmine weight), and PMS symptoms are very much better. I do get fatigued right before I start my cycle but it's not as bad as before. For the last 4 or five months I have noticed a pattern though. When I start the placebo pills, my stomach emergency room needing hurts! I have taken days off work because of this. I'm convinced that when I come off the hormones, it does soemthing to my tummy.

I really began taking BC for my mentral pain. It has lessened the pain of cramps but I still sometimes have to take a day off work. I'm not sure how much longer I will take it, just because it's foreign and potentially harmful to my body and fertility ability :). I know we don't want a child for a while but I'm not so sure I like the side effects I'm seeing in my body. I believe in BC but I'm not sure I want to be on it much longer. If I got pregnant, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Re: Birth Control BluesTHE UPDATE
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsLorJesCar

So after talking about it at great lenght with my doc, I decided against Yaz. I didn't exhibit the depression etc systems of PMDD. I just felt strange. Since I was on a BC that was devoid of Estrogen, the doc wanted to put me on Loestrin. However, Loestrin said that sometimes it can made acne worse. The chances were no more than 20%, but that was a 20% risk I didn't want to take. Since I had already been on Yasmin, I opted for that.

I've been on Yasmin now for a month. I owe this update primarily to DH. I gave him the task of monitoring me. He said that my mood has improved. He said that I no longer have flash bang flippy moments. He said that when I am hungry the need to eat is less dramatic and bitchy. He said it's more of a friendly reminder, like to put on your seatbelt and prepare for flight landing. I also don't mind when people act stupid. someone hit my cart with their cart being an idiot at Wal-Mart. I just laughed. Before, I would have probably gave them a burn in hell look. I feel relaxed. I feel motivated. Also, from DH, he said that there's a change in my sex drive.....like it's more relaxed rather than a need. That's a hard one to put into words. Take what you want from it.

Anyways, I'm not saying my pill should be your pill. I'm just saying if you're feeling kooky or just not all there on your current method, just get to your doc asap. Write down all your symptoms. Get with the program. lol

Doc says it could take 3 months to fulld adjust to the pill so I won't know for 2 more months about the acne thingy.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Happiness is you MIL's face on a milk carton.

wedding ticker 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Mush - I'm glad that you have gotten yourself situated.

I'm in a quandry right now. In the past, when off of birth control I get my period every 2 weeks and have had HORRIBLE cramps - they seemed pretty sure it was endometriosis. Who knows.

Well, I've been on BC Othro Tri for YEARS. But I've noticed that my acne had gotten worse - OK, I can live with that. BUT my moods were OUT OF CONTROL.

I need to go back in for an appointment as it's time and with everything I stopped taking my BC.

Now that I've been off of it for a couple of months, my period has evened out, not every 3 weeks but not every 2 weeks and my mood has improved greatly.

At this point, as we're looking to get into having kids in the near or not so near future, me being off BC is probably better anyways.

But that's scary too! LOL I don't want to get pregnant before we're ready. sigh

OK, sorry to hijack and vent myself, but I don't think you'll mind.

Glad you found out what is working for you.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Mush - I'm glad that you have gotten yourself situated.

I'm in a quandry right now. In the past, when off of birth control I get my period every 2 weeks and have had HORRIBLE cramps - they seemed pretty sure it was endometriosis. Who knows.

Well, I've been on BC Othro Tri for YEARS. But I've noticed that my acne had gotten worse - OK, I can live with that. BUT my moods were OUT OF CONTROL.

I need to go back in for an appointment as it's time and with everything I stopped taking my BC.

Now that I've been off of it for a couple of months, my period has evened out, not every 3 weeks but not every 2 weeks and my mood has improved greatly.

At this point, as we're looking to get into having kids in the near or not so near future, me being off BC is probably better anyways.

But that's scary too! LOL I don't want to get pregnant before we're ready. sigh

OK, sorry to hijack and vent myself, but I don't think you'll mind.

Glad you found out what is working for you.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Thats great that you got this all evened out and taken care of. It funny how us women can be raving lunatic bitches and not know it just because of birthcontrol. I seem to be okay on the nuvaring.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, feel free to hijack away. I'm not sure to or not to send you preggo vibes. haha

DPN- I'm glad that it works for you! I couple of ladies at my job have had pretty bad reactions to it....like their bodies reject it and cause a ton of pain. Now, one of them is preggo! lol. She took it out and didn't use a back up method for the week before she saw the doctor.

wedding ticker 

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

oh geez don't jinx me! I am going to see my hubby this week and if i get preggo i'm suing you for child support LOL JK

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Im on Yaz. Hate It.
I had the worst cramps, migraines, leg cramps, throwing up, diarrehea, mood swings, and even missed work over my periods. Finally went to the Gyno, they first said Endometriosis, but never comfirmed or denied. then said PMDD and put me on Yaz.

I gained 10lbs, have no sex drive, hate people, and eat like crazy. My cramps still are terrible, still get headaches, but all the other symptoms have cleared.

I have only been on it for 2 months. completing my last week on my second month now. Still dont have a regular period.

wedding website

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I need to vent my birth control woes.

In 2006, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in the lung because of my birth control Yazmin. Ever since then, I can never in life take birth control with hormones. I tried the IUD and it slipped out of place twice.

I just had a baby, whom I love dearly, and do not wish to have anymore right now. I'm going to try the IUD one more time and if it slips again and I get pregnant, then I'm going to tie my tubes after the baby is born!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I gotta tell you--your daughter is so precious!! I love the picture of the little sleeping angel!!
I had a blood clot in my leg and was promptly yanked off whatever pill I was on. Think PMS times 10!! UGH! They finally put me on a super low dose (Avaine) pill because to them the pregnancy would be more of an issue than the clot, especially since mine was superficial. (I'm likely to not make it through a pregnancy) They tried to pressure me into Mirena last time I was in the office which I don't understand! I'm on the pills for BC yes, but also to regulate my hormones. They said the Mirena does have hormones so it wouldn't be an issue. Yet as I read about it online it says it's NOT for people who have not had a baby! Why?? More risk of it falling out? (It's an IUD) Anybody know?

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 9:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

MrsCox- that was my my doc didn't put me on Yaz. She said that for people who aren't 100% PMDD confirmed that it's terrible to put you on. My personal doc asked me to write a journal for the month prior to my well woman. Maybe you could do this with your doc. Here's an example:

Pill 5- Food cravings: none; Drink cravings: sweet tea with lemon; Sexual mood: around a 6; Sexual activity: none; Feelings of anger, sadness, depression and what level: anger 3 (DH "forgot" to clean ANYTHING knowing we had guests coming)

I did that for the full 28 pill pack before my exam. My previous BC was progesterine only. She said based on my results I didn't have PMDD. My anger, sadness, mood swings never went above a 3 IMO. DH said that at the very worst I only got to 5 (scale 1-10). You need to get to 6s, 7s to be experiencing PMDD. Here's a link to one I found online! This one is 1-5 and more detailed, so I'd fill it out and take it to your doc!! http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/symptoms2.pdf

Again, this is just my personal physician. If your doc isn't willing to take extra steps to help you, find a new one! My doc before my current one was so apathetic towards all my symptoms. Drove me insane!

All in all I've gained around 5 or 6 lbs. They've been the happiest 5 lbs I've gained ever! I told DH I knew that with the estrogen I would probably gain some weight. When I was on the scale the other day, he caught me looking at myself in the mirror. He said I was sexy. I told him he lied and that I had gained weight. He asked if I was happier. I told him yes. He said then that's all we need to know, kissed my pudge, and made me feel so cozy inside.

Diva- I'm sorry. I've had good results on Yasmin before so I felt very confortable using it again. I've always been paranoid about blood clots simply because I smoked almost 7 years on and off which I know is a big no no. I second your daughter being an angel. She looks so big for just a couple of months!

Care - Holy Christ! Mirena is that one they input in your vaginal area! I don't like IUDs as a general rule. Here's a couple of reasons. 20% of women experience no periods at all after about 6 months - 1 year. I'm not OK with this. I was put on BC at 17 to give me a normal regular period. Why is it that 10 years ago it was important for me to have a period every single month but now it seems a lot of BC methods are skipping, even taking away periods. If you've had issues with high progestine (sp?) doses in BC, then I would seriously recommend more discussion or discussion with another physician.

Here's the official pharmacy sheet on it.....

http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf?C=&c= from Bayer (the maker). This is the same thing they put in your Rx if you got it. I think I'm one of the few human beings who reads those things from cover to cover. My dad has always had blood pressure problems so my mom has always read them to make sure no drugs will interact with each other or cause his blood pressure to go up.

wedding ticker 

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Thanks Mush! I printed that sheet out about Yaz. I have an apt with my gyno is Sept, I have one packet left so I will use that chart to document this pack. I still havent recieved my menstrual yet. Was supposed to get it last week. Now Im starting my 3rd pack still with irregular periods. so frustrating, and FH does a freaking happy dance every month when Im late because he really wants me to be pregnant. Not cute. Then he gets all sad when my period comes all late and wrong lol. I just want to be normal! lol

wedding website

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine