TIPS FOR THE NEWBIES - Very long

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 67

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: TIPS FOR THE NEWBIES - Very long
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

NO, I REFUSE TO CHANGE MY FONT FROM BLUE. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

but Kennys, I also really like this one. THANKS FOR SUGGESTING IT!!!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P., People Offended by Offended People

Edited by: cyndi33 on Jun 19, 2009 1:46 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

If you start a thread, don't come back later and delete it. If it is
months old it will stay buried. No one will see it and frankly no one
cares.

That's my single biggest Brides.com pet peeve. Why delete a thread that you posted ages ago? Nobody will see it if it's buried back a few pages - but if you delete it, it gets bumped back to the first page and you'll just confuse people, and we'll ask each other until we find someone who remembers it and paraphrases the original post. Then we'll end up talking about the situation anyway.

On a similar note, while you can delete your own posts, you can't make us delete our responses to you, so I really don't even see the point of deleting anything. Nine times out of ten, you can get the gist of the original post just by reading the replies that were posted before the original post was deleted...so you really don't protect your privacy (or whatever the goal of deleting posts is) by deleting it. We generally still know what the issue was - and anyone else with half a brain can figure it out, too.

And that reminds me: some people delete posts because it was about, for example, their FSIL and they don't want her to find out. Really, people? Do you really think that your FSIL has nothing better to do than scour internet message boards in case anyone has said anything about her? Unless your screen name is your name (which is stupid), or you mention your FSIL by name, she wouldn't even know it was her if she did read it. Which she won't. Believe me, I BASHED my BIL's wife on here endlessly, and they only got married two months after we did, so there's a chance that she might have joined the boards. Either she wasn't a member or she didn't realize that it was about her - either way, it never got back to her because I wasn't stupid enough to give an identifiable details.

Urgh, I think that yellow font is giving me a migraine...

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

SteffMay already did what I had an almost overwhelming urge to do, which was come and post Deleted. Or "A."

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Mrslinn, while you're hunting: I always thought the llama thread was funny.

In honor of the llama thread, here is a verse from the llama song. Courtesy of Weird Al (I never knew that):

Here's a llama
There's a llama
And another little llama
Fuzzy Llama
Funny Llama
Llama Llama duck

preview image

Edited by: HappyGirl13 on Jun 20, 2009 6:35 AM

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Artbride, I don't know if you know this, but brides threads DO appear in google search results. Already tested that one out ;)

But, I'm not so spineless as to delete anything I've written about people. I figure if I am irritated with someone, rest assured they know I'm irritated. The world tends to know when I'm irritated. Haha!
My Planning Blog

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

show me I wanna see what it says.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

FoundTrueLove Posts : 54 Registered: 8/18/09
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

so i'm a newbie and wasn't around for this "mean brides" thread, but i would love to see it! hehe does anyone have a link to it? i can't seem to find it on the search

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

I'm one of the dreaded lurkers that's been reading forever and rarely posting =) And the only thing I disagree with so far is that long time posters shouldn't be attacked. I think no one should be attacked period, but that has nothing to do with length of time on the boards.

Anyway, here's the link to the the Mean Brides/Friendly Brides war (well the "Mean" half at least) and a few others that had interesting discussions. Enjoy!

http://www.brides.com/forums/nwr/thread.jspa?threadID=52856&start=0&tstart=1320

http://www.brides.com/forums/planning-and-etiquette/thread.jspa?threadID=32074&tstart=7620

http://www.brides.com/forums/planning-and-etiquette/thread.jspa?threadID=39263&start=0&tstart=0

http://www.brides.com/forums/fashion-focus/thread.jspa?threadID=50134&start=0&tstart=0

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Hey you lurker. I don't think anyone should be attacked either. The reference to the long time posters is when someone posts something, a long time poster comes along and gives their opinion and then either the OP or someone else says something like "well what are you still doing here anyways, you're already married. So its not just a comment about the person being a long time poster but the fact they are married. There is no expiry date on brides.com. Just ask kelleyiskelley our current champion with 11,000 + posts.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Good tips! This is a good place to vent... and what's the point of venting if you are going to delete.

But always remember not to sign your name to anything that you don't want the world to see! That is what my Dad always tells me.

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

I agree that it is pointless to go on long, mean attacking tirades. It accomplishes zero. It does make for interesting reading however... LOL!

I am big on supporting each other as women and disagreements can be done in a grown up way. There is no need to be rude. But that is just me and it's a free country. If people want to open up a can of whoop ass every once in awhile... who am I do say it's wrong?

How long do you have to be here before you are not a newbie anymore? Maybe there should be an initiation test or something? :)

www.bride-whisperer.com

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

I don't know really, but you are probably not a newbie if:

You know what a dirty sanchez, blumpkin, hot lunch is or know enough not to look up any new phrases like these :)

You know what the standard responses and typical posters will be to issues like: vow renewals, children at weddings, cash bar/vs open bar, gift registries in invites, cash registries like honeymoon registry, showers by moms or other family members, or complaints about someone planning a wedding in the same month, week, season, decade as you did, you wonder how to "ask" for more money from family to pay for your wedding, (probably left some out, but these will get many of the same posters to reply and generally with standard responses to repeated similar issues), etc

You got married and keep coming back long after your wedding or renewal is over, just for fun or whatever, advice to those still planning, etc

You generally only post in and read threads under NWR or Married

You remember BBS or turkey girl

And those are just a few.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P., People Offended by Offended People

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi thats definitely outside of newbie territory and probably well into "married old hag" territory.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I reckon I'm still a newbie although I am a fast learner! I have fun here and hope I will be around for awhile! I've learned a lot. I think one thing a newbie should always do is show respect to the veterans. You can't join a new club and just expect to be the center of attention. If you just be yourself and participate.... you will be accepted and people will want to get to know you.

That is a newbie's advice to newbies. :)

www.bride-whisperer.com

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

With so many new engagements, I know a number of you ladies might be a bit lost with things on the boards, like abbreviations, etc so I wanted to bump this thread up.

This is a good thread with some info and I'm adding abbreviations to is below:

FH- Future Husband
DH- Dear Husband
EH- Excellent Husband (or ExHusband, watch for context)

FMIL-Future Mother-in-Law
FFIL- Future Father-in-Law
FSIL " Sister " "
FBIL " Brother " "

MOH- Maid/Matron of Honor
BM-Bridesmaid or Best Man (watch for context)
GM- Groomsmen

RD-Rehearsal Dinner
DW-Destination Wedding
STD-Save the Dates
E-ring- engagement ring
W-ring/band- wedding ring/band

Obviously remove the F for 'Future'.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift