Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 39

Soon2bWellsFargo Posts : 125 Registered: 4/29/09
Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 3:18 PM

Hi this is probably going to sound really shallow and a lot of you already think that of me but here goes.

Derrick gave me a gift the other day and I know he put a lot of thought into it but I really don't like it. I like to workout to music daily and I always play my stereo when I am on the treadmill or bike. Well when Derrick is over he likes to watch TV while he is waiting for me. He says he can't hear the TV if I am listening to music so he got me an IPOD. I hate it. I find it to be the most useless piece of equipment ever.

I don't want to feel like I am strapped in or something. I like the freedom of my music all over the house no matter what room I am in I can hear it and work with the rhythm I just can't do that with that stupid IPOD. How can I tell him I don't want this thing without hurting his feelings. It was a thoughtful gift I know I just don't want it.
Daddy's Little Girl

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Re: Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Personally, I would LOVE a new iPod; but anyhow...

They make speakers for iPods! Most of them are pretty reasonably priced (from $50 or so), but if you want high-quality sound and are willing to spend more money, even Bose makes speakers for ipods. The speakers don't take up much space at all and your ipod just "docks" right onto them.

Here's the link to the Apple Store's speaker section if you're interested, but you might want to check out amazon or another site for cheaper prices: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/speakers

Otherwise, if you really don't want the ipod and definitely don't see yourself using it, let your FH know! iPods aren't cheap; you wouldn't want his money to sit in a box at the back of your closet!

Best of luck!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

TheRealMrsJ Posts : 15 Registered: 6/11/09
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Have you even given it a try though?

I'd suggest maybe trying it out a week and see how it goes - you never know, you might love it!

I remember in college, before I had an ipod, having to take my bulky CD player to the gym. It was nice to be able to tune out everyone else and the noise around me while I was on the treadmills, but the CD player itself didn't have a clip on it so I had to carry it or try to snag one of the nicer, new treadmills that had a little rack up top.

It's real easy to build a playlist in iTunes and put it on your iPod, and it can sort through albums too, so if you want to listen to a specific CD or a mix you can.

The iPod is a lot less bulky and lighter than the old CD players we used to use - did it come with a belt/pants clip? I listen to my iPod while I wash dishes, since we don't have a dishwasher. I could easily put on the stereo if I wanted, but half the time I can't hear it in the next room while I have the water running. So I just clip it onto my pocket and listen to my tunes while I clean. I don't even notice it's there most the time.

And you can use any set of headphones too with it - DH hates the earbud type so he has a pair of those ones that like wrap around your ears - he claims they stay in and on his ears better than the standard iPod earbuds.

But try it out for a week or so and if you still don't like it, then don't use it. That way if he asks, you can't say you didn't at least give it a try. You can be like "I really appreciate the thought and the gift, but after trying it out, I still just don't like using it as much as I do the stereo" or something like that, so he at least knows you tried and it wasn't a total waste...
Formerly TheNewMrsJ

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Can't help you there - I LOVE my ipod!

Like the PP said, you can buy great stereo equipment for Ipods, or even hook it up to your existing stereo. And downloading music is SO MUCH better than buying CDs (and having to find a place to store them). I wouldn't give my ipod up for anything.

Anyway, I'd give it a chance. You'll find it useful if you decide to go running outside rather than on a treadmill. Or if you go to the gym and don't like their music.

Also, one of the biggest challenges of living with another person is compromising and respecting that your space is not soley YOURS anymore. If he's trying to watch TV, it's probably pretty disruptive that your music is blaring. I think it was thoughtful of him to get you an ipod rather than asking you to turn the music off completely.

My advice is to give it a chance. When I first got my ipod, I thought I'd never use it. Now I never leave the house without it. That thing rocks!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

I like the freedom of my music all over the house no matter what room I am in I can hear it and work with the rhythm

I think that the gift was really thoughtful and that you should try to find a way to make it work. I can understand if you want total freedom in one room to work out as you please--and he can watch TV in another room and shut the door. But you want the whole house. Sorry, he's compromising, and you'll have to, as well. You can't have the whole place anymore, because now you are two people and your needs do not always match. My husband loves to work at his projects with loud music going--and our taste in music definitely is not the same. But, he works in a separate area and, if needed, wears earphones, so I'm not subjected to his music. If I'm snug in my bed with the TV on, and he wants to get to sleep, I either turn off the TV or go to another room. You simply cannot subject another person to your demands all the time and not expect to give a little on your end. That's not how it works.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Oh no I'm sorry I think you all have misunderstood me. I understand about compromise and I am willing to turn down the music while he is watching tv or even turn it off. The problem I am having is how do I tell him I don't like the IPOD without hurting his feelings. I truly just don't like the gift. I just don't want to hurt his feelings.

I tried to tell him last night and I just can't seem to do it.
Daddy's Little Girl

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

First of all I am biased - I love my iPod and I wish I had been born with it implanted in my arm! What specifically don't you like about it? I have the speakers which are great especially for travel. I also have an adapter so I can listen to it in the car. I use it at the gym every single time I go. Have you tried itunes? I also love itunes.

I don't know if there really is a way to say you don't like it without hurting his feelings. I'd say give it some more time. Everyone I know who has one loves it. My husband and I have also had to learn how to share the "listening time". He loves tv and I prefer music. Sometimes I put on my headphones when he listens to the tv and sometimes he puts on tv headphones while I listen to iPod stereo. Yes tv headphones! They are wonderful. I bought him some from Brookstone and they have prevented many, many potential conflicts. Maybe you should consider this as his next gift and you could take turns "sharing the listening time".

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Ok, if you're absolutely against simply giving it a chance, that's fine.

But why do you need to tell him that you don't like it? Why does it have to be a production? If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't want him to think that you hate it, let him see you using it a few times, then retire it. That doesn't seem like a big sacrifice to me. Use it a few times. Who knows - you might even like it.

I don't get it. DH has given me a lot of gifts over the years. Sometimes, he's hit the jackpot. Other times, I'm not crazy about the gift. And it goes both ways. Look at it this way: you're planning to spend your entire life with this man. In 30 years, are you really going to care that he got you a gift that you weren't crazy about? Of course not - you won't even remember it.

My advice is to use it a few times, make sure that you don't like it, and then stick it in a drawer. If he comments that you're not using it, be honest and tell him that you prefer not to use it while working out, but that you're looking forward to taking it with you the next time you fly somewhere. Ipods are GREAT for airports and planes!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

You're right I guess I was just overanylzing the whole thing, This is the first time he has given my anything that I just flat out didn't like. I will get the speakers and use it that way.

I think it was Tanis that asked, I don't like the feeling of the cords. I just have a major issue with cords and laces and things like that. I don't like anything tight fitting on my arms. It makes me feel like I am tied up.
Daddy's Little Girl

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Soon2BeWellsFargo maybe you can try an ipod shuffle with cordless headphones, suggest to him you appreciate the gift but don't like to have the cords hanging down or an arm band wrapped around your arm and would like to exchange it. I got my FH an ipod shuffle and cordless headphones that the shuffle fit into for when he works out and he loves that thing, he uses it ALL the time. He has a regular IPOD too but it's more of a hassle to carry around and we mostly only use it in the car or in our speaker dock.

ipod shuffle
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8773017&st=ipod+shuffle&type=product&id=1204332007539

cordless headphones
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8721154&st=ipod+shuffle+cordless+headphones&type=product&id=1200703056097

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: 2009ToBeMrsV

Thank you I will look into those. They look like the may do the trick. That whole thing about being tied up is probably all in my head.
Daddy's Little Girl

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Ladies,

Sigh.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Some people have to be nasty no matter what. A comment from you really wasn't necessary

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P, People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 6:36 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

OH MY GOD ,QUICK!!! Call the police! Someone has put down AOTB's precious iPod lol. Whatever will you do Aunt? lol. Someone doesnt love the iPod -- oh the travesty!!!:)

Fargo, although I agree with others that its probably best to simply use the iPod now and then and not bring this up so you dont hurt fhs feelings, I actually do understand where you are coming from.

I am not an iPod fan either. I know, weird. I totally get the convenience of it, and I looove uploading songs from itunes or cds onto it, all of that. And if I can ever afford a nice Bose or whatever they are called so I can listen to it like I would a stereo, I will be in heaven! But as far as using it in my ears during workouts or on a plane or on trains or any of that other stuff , I just dont like it. For me, there are two reasons. One is similar to what you said. I dont like all the cords that seem to tangle all around me everywhere. Again, I know this is weird and stupid, but its just how I am lol. It bugs me. And two , the damn earpiece thing ALWAYS falls out of my ear. ALWAYS. I have tried like 5 different kinds of earpieces, and NONE of them work in my ears. DH laughs at me and says I have "the weirdest ears ever" because he doesnt have this problem, and neither does anyone else I know. But I do. I put them in, and seconds later, they pop back out, especially if there is ANY movement involved. My ear canal just does not want to hold the things in my ear, which is severely annoying. Now, I suppose I could get those giant headphone things that go OVER your ears, but then I feel like a weirdo who was sent from 1984. I dont know. iPod and me are just not compatible so far. And its a shame, because I used to love listening to my Walkman back when I was a super cool 80s chick lol. So the IDEA is great, but I get really sick of spending my entire trainride or workout shoving the thingsback into my ears over and over.

So, I realize Im the minority on this one because the iPod is like the coolest thing ever and I get that. I just need to find some earplug things that will STAY in my ears,and figure out why I have the only ears on the planet apparently that wont take to an iPod.

So, use it as much as you can, but I think the idea of going cordless is a good one for your cord issues lol. It really was a sweet gift.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 7:35 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I use the big over the ears headphones because of the ear piece issue. I hate them mine fall out all the time too.

I think maybe the cord thing has something to do with bondage. Are you afraid of feeling trussed up like a Christmas goose? I don't like the cords either I just clip my MP3 to my neckline, wrap up the cord with a bagtie and go. The cord is not hanging so it isn't annoying.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine