Engagement Ring sans Diamond

Online Users: 1,329 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

niagarawedding Posts : 1 Registered: 5/5/09
Engagement Ring sans Diamond
Posted: May 5, 2009 11:59 AM

Does anyone have experience looking for/purchasing an engagement ring without Diamonds? I'm looking for an engagement ring with (real, not genuine) topaz. Do you know of any website/store that has this/can make it?

I've been looking, and it appears that many sites have genuine topaz -- a quartz made to look like a topaz (which is often called citrine).

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Engagement Ring sans Diamond
Posted: May 5, 2009 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: niagarawedding

I don't anything about pricing or where to buy, but I'd recommend you continue research online and talk to a few reputable jewelers in your area if possible. And yay for another woman who doesn't want diamonds! ;)

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: May 6, 2009 1:35 AM Go to message in response to: niagarawedding

Real and genuine are synonyms. You're right in that citrine is a variety of quartz, but citrine is not called genuine topaz. I would personally avoid any jeweler who would intermix the two. Any legitimate business would not lie about their gemstones. That said, you can go to any online vendor that does custom settings, and they'll make it for you.

Here's one that's premade from BlueNile.com
Lots at Mondera.com
More at Ice.com

"Though the world will tell you it's not smart
Ever ever after
The world can be yours if you let your heart
Believe in ever after"
- Don't settle for less than what you deserve.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: niagarawedding

I would go talk to a jeweler. They can make you whatever you want, and can get whatever type of stone you'd like to use. Personally, I wouldn't buy jewelry online...but that's me. I'd recommend going to a small, independent jeweler and asking for advice. You'll probably get a better product than you would online or at a chain jewelry store.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: May 6, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I agree with the chain stores thing, but online vendors can also be a good deal because they don't have the extra cost of a brick and mortar store. Depending on the independent jeweler, it can be more expensive, or less. Either way, I think we can all agree that the OP just needs to shop around more and avoid vendors who say that citrine is genuine topaz.

"Though the world will tell you it's not smart
Ever ever after
The world can be yours if you let your heart
Believe in ever after"
- Don't settle for less than what you deserve.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 6, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Oh yeah - online or chain stores can absolutely offer better prices than independent jewelers. I'm not talking about low prices - I'm talking about good service, unique work, and better products. But I agree - you can get good deals online or at chain stores. Personally, I like unique jewelry and prefer to buy from a local jeweler with whom I have a good working relationship.

Since the OP is looking for something different than the average engagement ring, my advice is to find a local jeweler who can design a custom piece with the stones of her choice. Sure - she may be able to find a better price online, but it's more likely she'll get what she wants if she works personally with a jeweler to design her ring.

OP, don't be intimidated by the sound of 'custom made'. It's generally not as expensive as you'd think it is, and jewelers LOVE getting opportunities to be creative.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: May 10, 2009 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Go to Kay. They have a gorgeous topaz selection (it's my birthstone).

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine