A good laugh about my NOT engagement

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

ashes2 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/30/09
A good laugh about my NOT engagement
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:35 PM

Sorry for the long post coming up....

Background: my BF of 4 yrs and I have decided (my decision) not to exchange Valentines Day gifts, we have been openly talking about marriage/next level seriously for at least a year.

So... he sends flowers to my job with the quote "This is just a prelude" so I tell myself, don't get excited cause you'll only end up being sad if nothing happens, so I'm ok with that. Then we have reservations at a really nice steakhouse, at dinner, my bf grabs both hands over the table (in a very soap opera/television drama way) and says a toast to a wonderful and exciting new year. So now I'm excited b/c who does that in the middle of February, unless something special is gonna happen??

So we leave dinner and neither of us have cash to tip the Valet so I tell Valet guy that I'm going to run to the ATM really quick and the bf is telling me to hurry up cause he has a really big suprise, "special surprise" by now I can hardly contain my excitement. We get the money, drop the cash off and head to the hotel. Bf is on the phone texting and getting up to have privacy from me and I'm like cool, he's arranged for someone to walk in with the ring...Then he tells me one of his friends (and his girlfriend) are meeting us there. I'm beyond mad at this point so I get up and go to the bathroom, bf follows me....

I come out of the bathroom and my bf grabs my hand as I walk past him (once again in a way that could've won an Oscar) and we stop right in front of the Waterfall that's in the hotel lobby. He gives me a penny and says to make a wish, of course you all know what I wish, then he makes a wish, and then that's the end....NO RING!!!! We had a good time, we went out with the friend to a couple of clubs, but OMG I was soo unbelievably depressed. I just knew I was getting a ring that night. Now I can look back and laugh, but I figured someone else would get a kick outta my story. :)

Edited by: ashes2ashes on Apr 7, 2009 5:35 PM

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Re: A good laugh about my NOT engagement
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: ashes2

I wonder if he was going to do it then got really nervous and changed his mind...

Does he normally do stuff like this?

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:11 PM Go to message in response to: ashes2

LOL that is pretty good. Be sure to tell this story back to him when he finally DOES ask.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: ashes2

I hope this doesn't come off too bitchy, but I will never understand why some women insist on ruining a perfectly nice evening by getting mad that it isn't something else. It sounds like you had a lovely Valentine's Day...minus the part where you got upset that it wasn't a proposal.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:46 AM Go to message in response to: ashes2

I HATE when that happens!! There were times when I thought for sure that my FH was going to propose to me and then I ended up disappointed. When you expect something and you don't get it you feel disappointed. Hmmm but in your case why would he tell you that you have a surprise and not give you anything? Don't worry your time will come :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: ashes2

That sucks that you dind't get your ring... but I am sure when he does give it to you, you will be thrilled that he didn't do it on Valentines day. When my FH moved back from Ohio I was sure he was going to propose on the Saturday night afterwards... It was what i thought would be "perfect" We were out with all of our friends and dressed up and everyone was having a good time... Sunday morning there was no ring so at first I was little depressed but got over it... I knew it would be special in its own way... Monday night we were in bed when he asked me to get him a tshirt and when I finally stopped arguing with him about it I walked over to find the ring sitting on top of his tshirts. It turned out to be better than I had expected because I didn't expect it...

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

ashes2 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: Lilmisssouthern...

Hey, Yes, I retell this story (not to the bf yet of course) because it is actually funny to me now. And Artsy, it didn't ruin my evening, as stated we had a wonderful time b/c I'm the type to make the best out of everything. But, I will be honest and admit I wasn't too thrilled about making my V-day a double date. I'm actually friends with the guy and the other girl was really cool so I got over that. And DrmComeTru, I think the best proposal is an unexpected one. I just thought everyone could get a little laugh about my story since not much was on the boards yesterday. Have a wonderful day ladies.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine