Is this too much money?

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Is this too much money?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 9:56 PM

I have always wanted to have my honeymoon in Jamaica. My dad has time share so he is going to give us a week anywhere I want to go! I would prefer an all inclusive package so that I don't thave to worry about paying for food and drinks. When I told my dad the price for an all inclusive package he told me that it's too much money. The price is $785 per couple. (that means my FH and I combined right, instead of each of us paying that amount?) It's at Ocho Rios Sandals Grande Resort. I really want to go there!!! I'm tempted to just pay that amount because I know I will regret it if I don't go there.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Re: Is this too much money?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Oooh thats where we stayed!!! Is that for the whole trip or per night for two? Did you check for sales?

We stayed in the butler-included Romeo and Juliet suites for $6000 for the week (that was @ 40% off full price). They told us when they left they were remodeling most of the rooms and they were doing a couple restaurants over while we were there (since we went in the off-season/October).

I have like 200 pics from my trip on myspace/facebook... I wish I could go back this year but with the baby that ain't happening. PM me if you want to see them and I will give you my info.

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:40 AM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

Thanks MrsJLA. I will PM for those pics :)

Since my dad has time share that price is for the whole week. So I guess that isn't bad considering you paid $6000. Wow! But I am not sure if we get to pick our own rooms or if the time share company picks for us and we have no say in the matter. I would love to have a butler for the week haha.

I'll PM you :)

chitowngirlinlove Posts : 17 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Sounds like a really nice place. You have got to call them or talk to a travel agent. With the way the worlds economy is right now I would bet you could get a better deal.

chitowngirlinlove Posts : 17 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

My boss was there 2 years ago and said Ocho Rio was wonderful. He only had 1 problem. If you have the all inclusive and are not there early you might not be able to order what you want. They ran out of the special 2 times. So if you go and want to have 1st choice on the menu I say go early and play nooky later...

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

What does the $785 per couple cover? Just food and drinks, or any additional perks? Do you know how much a drink/a meal typically runs there?

I can't decide if I sort of agree with your Father - I think it REALLY depends on typical prices there. Let's say that you're there for 7 days, so that's $100+ in food and drinks per day to come out ahead.

If breakfast is $10 ea, lunch $15 and dinner $20, you'd be at $90 for the pair of you for the day. (Plus drinks, so that can definitely add up more). Then, I think it's a good deal.

BUT, if you're going to skip breakfast or lunch some days, or leave the resort.... Or, if the food prices are cheaper than that, you may not come out ahead.

So, I'm torn. I'd probably look into the prices if you were paying by the meal/drink before I made a decision.

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

With Sandals, food and drinks are always inclusive. The cheaper rooms are smaller and will not include certain luxuries. For example the butler suites have EVERYTHING. Including your own liquor bar (we drank sooo much champagne), fridge, 24 hr free room service, they book all of your activities and dinners, and are on call for most of the day/night. Plus they drive you around in golf carts the entire week and pick you up at your room to take you where ever you want to go on the resort. The 2009 booking price for our rooms was about 12,000 (remodeled) and with 40% sale off that is ~$7200 (taxes included). You never tip anyone, period. They will not take it. However, butlers are allowed to be tipped, we gave them their tip at the end of the week... BUT you only tip butlers if they went above and beyond the call of duty so to speak. The average tip for them is $200-$400 dollars.

The next level down is concierge service level rooms. We were going to go this year (about $3000 with the sale) for a week in said rooms until I found out I was pregnant... also we figured with this economy, we better not take any chances with our extra cash/savings. Those include 24 hour room service and use of the concierge services (by phone or in person) to book reservations and activities. No personal bar or on-call person though.

The lowest rooms do not have 24-hour room service and everything has to be booked at the service desk. I don't know how time shares work, but if you could upgrade for a bit more, I would check it out to at least get concierge services. At any rate, I have NEVER seen ANYONE pay for food or liquor. And outside excursions are always extra (beyond what is at the resort). Hope that helps.

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I think that is a great price for a couple. Does it include airline tickets, food, drinks, etc...? DH and I went to Playa del Carmen for our honeymoon and stayed at The Royal. It was a beautiful hotel and it was all inclusive. Our room was gorgeous and it included a bar, fridge, whirlpool tub and each hotel had a little patio with a hammock and patio set. We also got free room service for food and alcohol.

We stayed for one week. The food was awesome, we drank whatever and whenever we wanted, and there was a very big pool with a swim up bar and it was also very close to the beach (steps away). We paid about $3,300 and that included airfare.

I think the best way to look for deals is to just compare compare compare! Sandals tends to be a little pricey, but everyone who goes on a sandals vacation says that they are nice.

Edited by: MrsMcCain on Mar 13, 2009 5:42 PM

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

FYI - Airfare was not included with ours, but they do offer deals where they give you an airfare credit on your room, since they legally cannot discount airfare through the hotel booking.

To fly to Jamaica from Philadelphia, non-stop on Jamaica Air was $800 round trip for both of us. Air Jamaica is mostly owned by Sandals and they even play a movie for you and give you a hot meal & drinks on the flight! Hot dang that was nice.

Edited by: mrsJLA on Mar 13, 2009 8:13 PM

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

Wow the airline gave you a free meal!? That is soo cool! I sent you a friend request on My Space since facebook for some reason didn't recognize your name.
Oh I have another question for you: how was the ride from the airport to the resort? I've read reviews where people had to wait for hours for a bus to take them to the resort and that it takes a long time from the resort back to the airport.
Also, how was the beach? Was it small or decent size?
:)

AdelaRubio Posts : 1 Registered: 12/10/12
Posted: Dec 10, 2012 4:10 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Not at all if you really love that place. It is totally acceptable. By the way, you should opt for some gorgeous long prom dresses and prom dresses 2013 to look your best!

Have great fun!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine