Ex-BF has died

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Ex-BF has died
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 6:44 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Dear PTG,

I'm glad it worked out for you. Sometimes connecting with someone from your past can be a good thing.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I love the part about finding out how people from your distant past look now. Most of the time, I just say,"Yikes!" when I see the photos. Of course, I have not aged at all!!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:37 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I just googled my only serious ex-boyfriend and found out that he works at the dog kennel his mom owns. HAHAHAHA! I am SO MUCH COOLER than him!

I laugh because we didn't part on good terms, nor was it ever a great relationship. I was very young - we started dating when I was a freshman in high school and he was a senior. We stayed together for almost three years - he was in the military and I was still in high school. I was young and naive and I truly believe that he took advantage of me in many ways. I don't think he ever intended to emotionally abuse me, but the way he treated me left some scars - and at the time, I was too young to realize that it wasn't right. When he cheated on me, I forgave him. We eventually broke up when I began to grow up a little more - I got over my teenage self-esteem issues and realized that I was NOT in love, nor did I have a good relationship. (This is one of the reasons I tell young brides to wait a few years. I thought I was in love and everything was great - but over the course of about six months or so, I grew from the kid I was into the SEED of the woman I am today. And I laughed REALLY HARD at myself for being so stupid.) So I don't have particularly warm feelings about that guy - though I am grateful for the experience, since I'm sure it did its part in shaping my character.

In truth, I don't really wish him ill. I hope he is happy and healthy and has a great family. But I find the dog kennel job HILARIOUS, as he always thought he'd do something amazing with his life and that I'd be his stay-at-home wife with no education or career of my own. HA! So what do you want to talk about first, lame ex-boyfriend: my PhD, my kick-ass job, all my published articles, or your LAME KENNEL JOB???

I feel the need to add a disclaimer: I don't necessarily think that working in a kennel is bad, nor do I think I'm better than everyone who does. I just think I'm MUCH BETTER than my lame ex, who thought he'd have a kick-ass job and that I'd do nothing with my life! HA!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Dear Myra,

"Of course, I have not aged at all!! "

No, darling, of course not.

But then again, I happened to show my wedding album to a niece. (Brother's daughter, not the niece who lived with me.)

She took one look, gasped and said "That's YOU???!!!???"

Um, yes. Such a shock to see me without grey hair???

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Dear AB,

We learn from our boyfriends, even from bad relationships.

The guy who dumped me at 15 (the now chubby, grey-haired guy, not the dead guy) was really great.

Before I met him, I was very insecure about myself. I always wondered if I was good enough for this or that boy. Was I tall enough? Short enough? Was my hair OK? Makeup OK?

Then, one night, I met Mr X. I wasn't even thinking about a new boyfriend at all, but Mr X asked me and a girlfriend to go riding around. I was introduced by someone who knew him and his family very well, so I felt perfectly safe. (I was.)

We had a great time. I wasn't even trying to impress him or anything and was just being myself.

The next day he asked me out and I accepted. We had a great time, and my wee 15-year old heart fell in LUUUVVVV for the first time.

Later, he dumped me (sob!) and we both moved on with life. But I learned a valuable lesson. Do I wonder if I am good enough for this or that guy, or do I wonder if this or that guy is good enough for me?

Rather than be fake and put up a false front of glamour, sophistication, football interest or whatever to impress some dude, I decided to just be myself.

I wanted to be attractive to someone who is attracted to someone exactly like me.

And, I finally found HIM. He's in the next room, watching SciFi on DVD right now. Sigh. No one's perfect.

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art, I totally undertand you. My first b/f once told me that he didn't know why I was wasting my time in college b/c if I married him, I was going to be a stay home mom. I was so mad. he never go to college and works in construction (nothing wrong with that), and I got my degree and have a very good job. He always tried to put me down. I didn't google him, but he find me on myspace and facebook and wanted that I add him and be friends. He kept asking to mutual friends to convince me to add him. Two of our mutual friends went to visit him and he lives in a bad neighborhood. My friend told me the best thing I did was breaking up with him.

Aunt, Hope your feeling better.

Can't wait to be Mrs. Snyder

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art, you're a woman after my own heart. A little bit of Schadenfreude is good for the soul, not to mention the ego!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 11:55 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I think it's normal to feel shocked, but like a PP said there is no one way you are SUPPOSED to feel. If you want to cry, please cry...if you don't, then don't try to make yourself.

And no 56 is not old. My dad is only 50 and so i know that's young. My grandfather died at 60, so that weighs heavy on me always! Besides I knew a 15 year old young lady that died in a car wreck 2 weeks ago and another young lady who's my age died earlier this week. Age truly is a state of mind. People pass away at ALL ages.

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Dear RyAnne,

Knowing someone your own age or younger who has passed on is a terrible shock.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

A-line Orange Sweetheart Open Back Mini Prom Dress With Sequins
Save up to 38% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $99.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-orange-sweetheart-open-back-mini-prom-dress-with-sequins-p-32107.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine