Thoughts on Silk Flowers?

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

VermontFutureMrs Posts : 34 Registered: 1/6/09
Thoughts on Silk Flowers?
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 8:48 PM

Hi ladies, I was wondering what you guys think about silk flowers? I was thinking about going with them because they look pretty and last forever. My Aunt even had them in her 70's wedding and she still has them to this day. Did anyone else use fake flowers for the wedding?

Thanks,
Jen

wedding website

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: Thoughts on Silk Flowers?
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

My opinion on fake flowers is that it actually costs more than real flowers to have them look real. I'm not a fan of the inexpensive silks, but if you put the money in to it because you want to have them forever then maybe it's worth it. :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 10:03 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I used fakes in my wedding for two reasons. 1 - I am horrible allergic to all real flowers. If I had touched my flowers, then my face, my eyes would have swollen shut. 2 - I could have cared less if I had had flowers. I've never been a big fan of flowers. Now, mine didn't look totally real, however, no one really saw them up close. The only place I used flowers were in the bouquets and boots. They didn't look horrible cheap, but you could tell they weren't real.

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

With the current economy we have opted to go with Fake flowers. From the quote we got for real vs the fake we are saving literally hundreds of dollars. I personally like the way they look and from a distance don't think people can actually tell the difference. I think they will look great in pictures and I won't have to worry about them wilting by the end of the day. I also love the fact that you get to see exactly what your flowers will look like before the day arrives so if it's not quite what you had pictured you have time to change it. I say if you like the idea go for it.

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

I did! I'm allergic to so many and also allergic to bees (which there were already enough at our outdoor wedding!) so it made sense. But yes, to get real looking ones isn't cheap! I got mine at www.afloral.com and I was able to put sweet pea (my birth flower) and Lily of the valley (his birth flower) as well as shamrocks (for our celtic theme) in the bouquets.

Weddingdisc1097.jpg picture by carebearny1999
I think this is the only close-up of the flowers! I do have them in my curio cabinet though!

Weddingdisc5123.jpg picture by carebearny1999
Neice thought they were real! LOL

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

sjhc132 Posts : 164 Registered: 3/18/08
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

hi Jen!!
i used both fake and real flowers and fake swags of leaves and stuff at my wedding...i bought most of my flowers from michaels using coupons and shopping their sales and then i bought my real flowers from walmart...i just bought a bunch of different bouquets and rearranged them for my bouquets and boutineers...i definately couldnt afford to do all my floral stuff in real flowers so if you keep your eyes peeled on the sales with michaels or hobby lobby or even joanns you can proabably catch some killer deals...good luck and congrats

i was meant for him and he was meant for me :)

bride4life Posts : 499 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: sjhc132

I did...and I am very happy that I did. I have my bouquet in my hutch and I see them everyday!!!

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: bride4life

actually, the cost of a real cut flower vs. that of a silk flower is actually less. Silk flowers cost more per stem than real flowers. the extra cost comes from the florist having to wait until the last minute to put them together, ordering extra so that if one of the real flowers breaks, or comes damaged they have extras, etc.

So, dont think that silk ones will necessarily save you hundred...they could end up being a lot more expensive. However, if you can buy them on sale at the local craft store, and arrange them youself, then yes they are cheaper, and will last a long time.

Good luck! :)

VermontFutureMrs Posts : 34 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Jen

wedding website

TRACYJOHNSONBRA... Posts : 42 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 5:53 AM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

I chose silk because i could arrange them myself, I thought they would be cheaper, and they would last longer. My bouquet is attached to fan (a dream of mine). I am hoping to get pictures posted soon of all my arrangements as well as all the other wedding accessories my FH and I worked on togeter. i was blessed with a very creative and artistic guy.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 8:03 AM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

I think it really depends too on what flowers that you want to have. I priced fake roses versus real roses and unless you're going to get the super cheap looking ones then they're not that far apart. My florist did my bouquet with white roses, my sister's with orange roses, 3 boutiniers and 4 corsages, my cake, and she decorated two tall metal plant forms (like stuffing them with moss and then putting flowers and grape vine on teh outside of them) for about $400. I think you just need to shop around.

I made it clear to my florist that I didn't have a big budget, so she helped me find flowers that had a lot of bang for the buck. Flowers like lisianthus LOOK like a rose, but you get more than one flower per stem with them, so we mixed them in with the roses to fill out my bouquet. She used a lot of "greens" in my bouquet as well, and then some berries to add colour.

Also, I had made a deal with her about the topiary forms. I found them at Joanne's fabrics for a steal (like $30 for both) and I told her she could have them afterward, along with the shephards hooks that I bought for a song at the same sale, if she would decorate them for the wedding, and she said yes! Now she can rent them out for future weddings!

I think if you're creative then you can find ways to use real flowers, maybe along with silks, to create a more lush feeling.

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08

Edited by: Nalamienea on Mar 7, 2009 8:05 AM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

Why on earth not? I doubt anyone is going to examine your bouquet that closely. I really don't think anyone would notice if your flowers were real or silk.

That said, I went with real flowers. I thought about using silk, but I wanted bright yellow lilies for the BMs and the color of silk ones just didn't compare to the brilliance of real ones. Since I didn't want many flowers anyway, the cost to have real ones was pretty reasonable.

We did, however, use silk rose petals to decorate the tables at the reception. I didn't notice them at all on the day of the wedding, but they look fine in the photos.

Oh, as for the 'lasting forever' thing, silk flowers are a good option if you want to keep them forever. With real flowers, I know they have 'bouqet preservation,' but I don't know how it works or how expensive it is. Personally, I didn't want to save my flowers, as a fancy wedding bouquet just doesn't go with the decor of my house.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Edited by: ArtBride on Mar 7, 2009 9:02 AM

BabyToshi Posts : 1 Registered: 4/3/09
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 7:40 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

Nowadays silk flowers look very realistic. Plus it keeps the cost down and after the wedding I still have my bouquet to look at. Especially I had my wedding at a outdoor gazebo. It was next to a beautiful lake. There was no point to use real flowers when people are only seeing the flowers on the arch and gazebo from a far distance. I got my flowers from http://www.usifloral.com they have a wide selection of flowers at and affordable price. They also have suggestions on how to use there flowers. I made a replicate bouquet with their Gardenia and Lilium bush. Here's a picture of it http://www.usifloral.com/page.html?id=45 I used it as my toss bouquet. The flowers are so lovely and elegant.
My friend is using the spring Ranunculus/Cosmo bouquet for her wedding. The flowers are so color and bright....perfect for spring! http://www.usifloral.com/page.html?id=53

redheadgrl Posts : 9 Registered: 2/13/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: VermontFutureMrs

I am not a major fan of silk flowers. The way I think about it is, how would you feel if your fiance gave you silk roses just to say I love you? It's not the same.

======================
Future Mrs. Rebecca Howard-Lin

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: redheadgrl

Our florist had a couple of silk arrangements you could rent for a fraction of the price of a real arrangement. You may look into that. We decided that we'd do real bouquets and that's it for flowers to keep the cost down. We are going to recycle to bouquets by putting vases around to put them in after the ceremony.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine