Ring questions

Online Users: 1,366 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Ring questions
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:39 PM

My bf and I were at the mall and went into a jewelry store, which we've done before, and looked at rings. I like the three stone rings, and so that's what I've mostly looked at previously. Well, the woman there said that three stone rings were originally designed to be anniversary bands and that women come in to the store a lot trying to find wedding bands that go with them and have a hard time because there is generally a gap between the engagement ring and the wedding band. She showed us this one type of ring by Martin Flyer, that has what is referred to as the "Flyer Fit" which basically just means that the setting is raised above the band in the engagement ring so that I wedding band fits better against it. However, we are on a budget (not wanting to go over about $1000 for the engagement ring) and rings like that are more expensive. He wants me to help pick out the ring, and I'm not sure at this point what to choose. I don't know whether to go with the three stone ring as I had planned, go with a solitaire, or try to find something else. Also, I have very small fingers, so anything too big wouldn't look right and I have to make sure that I can get whatever ring I choose in my size. I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences or if you knew how to deal with the issues of getting the wedding band to fit with the engagement ring? I know we could buy a set, but given our budget constraints, I think it would be better for us to be buying the wedding ring later on when we get closer to the wedding.

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Re: Ring questions
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Generally speaking most of the 3 stone rings are sold to anniversary rings. They mean "Past, Present, and Future". However, its YOUR ring! If thats what you want, go for it! I certainly don't think anyone would look at it be like "oh, thats not an engagement ring, its an anniversary ring." In fact, I think there are a few women on here who have 3 stone rings as their engagement rings and they are beautiful! The 3 stone "anniversary" ring IMHO was just a reason to market diamond rings in another way to get people to buy them! If thats what you love-get it!

I do see how a band would be hard to find to match, do you need a band? I had a ring in my previous marriage that just didnt look right with a diamond band so I ended up getting 2 small plain white gold bands and wearing them on either side and I thought it looked nice.

Hotari Posts : 51 Registered: 2/2/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: JennHatesWaiting

Me and my FH actually picked out a 3 stone ring for my engagement ring. He didn't like how the solitaire looked and we also loved the price of my ring. $1,000 dollars cheaper!! Basically in the end all that matters is that you love the ring I found quite a few bands that actually look great with my ring.

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Hi PrincessDee - I agree with the PP. Its going to your ring forever, so get the one YOU want. However I'm having problems finding a band to sit flat against my solitaire e-ring. I've seen 2 options to overcome this that arn't bad. The first is getting a wedding band that is curved a little to fit around your e-ring stone. The second is a e-ring enhancer, it makes your single stone engagement ring look like a 3 stone engagement ring Here are some photos of the two. this is the enhancer (they have lots of different designs besides this one, this is the more basic)here is the curved band:

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

You mentioned you have a budget below $1000. I also had a budget (well fiance did) and that was between the $500-$1000 range. We went to go look at rings together and I always figured I would get the wedding band after I get my engagement ring cuz I thought if I bought then together it would be more money. Well I was wrong! The set is actually cheaper in the long run! We got a great deal on a set. If I were to go back and get the wedding band another day it would have been too pricey. So I would suggest you and your boyfriend go check out some jewlery shops (We went to Zales and we love them!) and check out the different types of rings. I think you will find the ring you want within your budget if you keep looking at different stores.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 9:24 AM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

I have a 3 stone engagement ring. In fact, I know a LOT of people who have that style. I had no trouble finding a wedding band that went with it. Sure there is a VERY tiny gap between the two rings, but you have to be a few inches away to notice it. If that is what you really want, try shopping around. I would personally be annoyed if a salesperson told me what I liked wasn't an appropriate for an engagement ring. Frankly, it seems like she is trying to get you to spend more money, since she probably works on commission.

Since he asked for your input, it really should be what you want.

If you'd like to see how the 3 stone looks with the band, I'd be happy to post a picture tonight.

Don't make me go Brooklyn on you. I have brass knuckles and I know how to use them.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

Edited by: Bride2008 on Feb 27, 2009 9:25 AM

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 10:00 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

My first e-ring(we had issues with it. ) was a 3 stone. And yes finding a band to fit it exactly was hard. But in one jewelery store they told me to either get over the tiny gap(honestly unless you are getting them sauldered(SP) together, the rings will move on your finger anyways and may not sit perfectly togeter) or get one made to fit the ring. Check out zales. They had some 3 stones with the band and the prices at zales is great! I found a ring there I love with the band for $2500 its almost 2 carats. I found a very similar one at Ben Bridge for $7,000! Good luck.

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

MrsPJM3 Posts : 129 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I have a three stone ring and it doesn't stand for past present future for us. It stands for not only marring me but also one stone for each of my children. FH found a band with princess cut stones inset to match the stones in my e-ring. He said we are all on the e-ring and he is on the band and we will all be togther on our day. Yes there will be a small gap and my e-ring has a very high setting and sits off my finger and my w-band will be flat against my finger. I love both my rings I love the way they look even though it wasn't my perfect idea when I put them together I loved it. I love what they mean and I love that fh went alone to pick them out and that he put so much thought and love into it.
wedding web site

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: MrsPJM3

I also have a 3 stone engagement ring. It was a family heirloom from my fiances' dad's mom and it is over 75 years old! So...needless to say, that style as been around FOREVER! ha ha. And, it was HER engagement ring, NOT anniversary band!!

I have been looking at bands while at wedding expos, and I will probably go with some type of band that has a slight curve to it (one other poster had a pic of it). It just seems to look good with my ring. I am also going to try and find an antique band that is of the same time so they match (white gold now is NOT the same color as white gold that is 75 years old! ha ha!!)

But, I have tried on several bands, straight and curved, that look good with the e-ring.
You can also look into getting a band that is custom made to fit around your e-ring. I talked to 2 different jewelers and their prices were VERY reasonable!

And, yes...some ring sets (e-ring and wedding band) can be close to your $1000 range...just depends on what you want for diamonds and such.

Above all, you want a ring that YOU like and that YOU are happy with! DONT let a saleswoman try to change your mind by telling you its not right! A solitare is not right for everyone! A diamond is not right for everyone! I know someone who wanted a saffire in white gold, but the saleswoman talked her fiance into getting her a HUGE solitare in a gold band!! And, she hates it! So, dont let someone talk you out of what you love. After all, would you let the woman at the bridal shop talk you out of your dream dress?

:)

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

My e-ring is a 3 stone, technically an anniversary ring, but I LOVE it! It has the 3 stones, bigger one in the middle, and baguetts on the side. I've been looking around at different places for wedding rings, not seriously shopping for them, but just when I'm in a jewelry store I glance at them, and I've seen a few that would work. The only hard thing w/ mine is the baguettes on the side, if it was round diamonds I think it would be easier. Plus, the jewelry store my fiance got it at has a wedding band that goes with it, I'm just not that crazy about it, but I've seen other ones. I don't think you would have trouble finding a band, just gotta look around.

I love the 3 stone ones too because you don't see them as much as the solitaire diamonds. I know a lot of people with solitaires and I like them, but I like that mine is different too :) I think that the rule that 3 stones is for anniversary only is just an old rule, and rules are meant to be broken!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Get this, my ring is a SOLITARE with PPF engraved inside so.....a 3 stone ring can be a wedding ring! ha ha Get what you want girl! Don't worry about what others tell you. If you like it and want to wear it forever, then get it. Trust me, you won't stop looking at it!

Mrs. Pinky

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

First off, paying $1000 for an engagement ring means that you will get a very nice ring, it sounds like you really don't have to worry about a budget, just being picky perhaps!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

My ring is a three stone with pave stones on the band and I love it! I never understood how "past, present, future" couldn't apply for an engagement ring. You dated in the past, the wedding is the present, and the marriage is the future. My wedding band has a slight gap, but the band I got is really cool for a three stone ring. It has 3 round diamonds and two baguettes that alternate. Don't fall for the diamond industry's marketing. Get what you like.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Bride2008, I'd love to see a pic of your rings.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and the support. My BF and I went looking at rings again today and it was a much better experience. We even looked at wedding rings to go with the engagement rings we were looking at just to see how well they fit together. It really didn't seem to be a problem. I like engagement rings that are 1/2 carat tw because my fingers are so small, so they don't stick out much and they fit with wedding bands quite nicely, especially the ones designed to curve around the three stone rings.

One thing that we found out that I was really excited about is that they can get a ring with additional side stones in my size. They have to order it in a 4 1/2 and size it down, but apparently sizing it down a size and a half is not at all problematic. I found a ring that I absolutely love. It's only $699 and it looks beautiful on my small finger. It's so sparkly. Surprisingly, the one I liked best was princess cut, and I was almost sure I'd want round. I didn't want to give it back to the saleswoman. Lol. It will be better to get one that fits my finger, though.

Here's the one I like (but it looks so much nicer in person...I wouldn't have chosen it just based on the pics):

http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|990544708|15051|15051.15057.15108

I'm not sure exactly when he's going to propose, but he said it's within the next few months. I'm very excited. I love him so much and he's so good to me and a really great guy.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: facen

Facen, I agree. That's the upper limit though, and I think we'd both be more comfortable with something that was a bit less than that.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine