Share the details about your ring!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 314

BlissfullBride Posts : 32 Registered: 12/29/08
Share the details about your ring!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 7:39 PM

Ok I know some ladies are going to say this is pretentious but hear me out... If I was just engaged,but haven't gotten the ring yet, I would want to know if there is a place to get rings that were affordable and stressfree.. if you are like me, and you already got the ring, don't you ever wonder if he got a good deal? should we go there for our wedding bands? and if you don't want to share than that's ok too.

I want to know all the details about your rings! What is the carat weight, the clarity, etc. More importantly, where did he get it? and did they have good service? how much did he have to spend?

Well here are my details.... He went to Robbins Brothers and he said a few times they pressured him but most of the time they just tried to educate him. Not quite sure if this is a pro or con.

My ring is a four prong ring with two colorless side baguettes. The center stone is a princess cut, 2.01 carats, colorless (D), vs1. He spent about $16,000 on the center stone and 1,200 on the setting. This seems steep to me but they have guarantees.

Minutes before he popped the question!! The future Dr. and Mrs. Peter Leung... 

IMG_5926 by you.

"It's best to remember that after the party, it is still just about you and me."

Edited by: BlissfullBride on Feb 26, 2009 9:50 PM

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Share the details about your ring!
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:09 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

I love my ring, I picked it out myself lol. We both went to Zales and he told me to pick the one I like. The sales people were very nice. They showed us a few rings and I fell in love with one that they didn't even consider showing me since it's not your average engagement ring. The one I picked is white gold and it has a heart shaped diamond. My promise ring was heart shapped so I find it pretty neat that my engagement ring is also heart shapped. I honestly don't know the clarity or the weight or things like that. I do know that it's 14K. There are smaller diamonds on the side of the heart (on the band) and also smaller diamonds bordering the bigger heart shapped diamond. I LOVE it when the light catches the ring lol. My engagement was a set so it came with the wedding band as well. The wedding band has smaller diamonds on it. I can't wait to wear them both!! lol. My FH payed for warranty and insurance on it so I really don't know how much the rings were. I know he got a good deal on it since they were having a sale. I know the price he payed is between $500-$1000. I love my ring!

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

When you say colorless, which is it; D, E, or F?
Robbins Bros is my client and you're right, they have great guarantees and you're a customer for life. I compared the details of your center stone with the ones on Blue Nile and I would say he got a pretty good deal - plus the other perks that Robbins Bros offers makes it even better.

My husband ended up buying my ring from Security Jewelers in Duluth MN. By purchasing from out of state, he didn't have to pay sales tax, which saved him a good chunk of change and resulted in a better deal than the Robbins Bros vendor discount. Plus, buying from Robbins, he would've had to pay tax. Anyhow, he said Security Jewelers was wonderful to work with and highly recommends them to anyone looking for a fair deal and great service. My husband is very well versed in diamonds so he was able to view the GIA report and know that the diamond he selected was great quality (there is more to diamond buying than just the 4c's).

My ring is a Jeff Cooper designs, style 3100, in platinum. Center stone is Round Brilliant, Ideal cut, 1.27c, F, VS1 (four prong). The tapered baguettes in the setting are also F, VS1 (I have no idea the carat weight of the side stones). Total cost of my e-ring was 12,275 (appraised for 16,400). The matching wedding band was about 2500, which also has F, VS1 diamonds.

Did my husband get a good deal? I'm not sure... but he says he did and that's all that matters is that he's comfortable with the purchase and knows that he did his due diligence to find the best price for the quality received.

I don't have great pictures of the ring. I have no idea how the professional photogs get such good pictures of rings!!!

rings.jpg rings picture by tobiandbrian

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:   "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, your ring is really gorgeous!!! What type of band are you looking at getting or is there one specifically made for your ring? I liked that there was a matching band for mine and I really like the curved style of the band because it fits together so nicely. I'll be taking mine into Robbins Bros to get it soldered together. I've just been putting it off.

Photobucket 

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

My ring cost about $3000 total and I thought that was a lot of money. Its 1/2 carat colorless and GIA certified. I opted to go for quality over quantity. We got it from Helzberg Diamonds and I was very happy with them.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

BlissfulBride - Your ring is gorgeous!! Just stunning! Was that the ring you wanted, or did he surprise you?

I got really surprised with mine! I originally wanted a diamond that had the calla cut to it, but what I ended up with will always be my favorite. FH picked out a 1.5ct, vs1, F color, round brilliant cut ring. Its 14k white gold with a 4 prong platinum setting. Its a Leo Diamond so it has the extra facets in it and it sparkles like crazy! FH got it at Kay Jewelers because he has gotten all of my jewelry there, he has a great relationship with them and they give a great warranty. He didn't tell me the price, but he said he could of bought a car for the amount. He might have been exaggerating though. I love it and that is all that matters!

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Ok I'll play. I have a custom designed ring made by a private jeweler here in NJ (although he has jewelry manufacturing sites in Italy).

It is 1.58ct tdw with...

1.23ct Round Brilliant GIA graded, F color SI1 clarity (although the inclusions are on the edges and under the prongs, so when set in the ring, it appears to be closer to VS2/VS1 clarity).

My band is platinum with 0.35 ct of F, SI/VS2 round brilliant diamonds (4 on each side and 2 each on the front and back). The band is made to look like a crown and there are four "double prongs" holding the diamond.

Price - just under 10k total inc. taxes, diamond was between 7-8k. The ring has a lifetime guarentee on workmanship - no questions asked, & lifetime cleanings/setting care. NTM DH's mom and dad are two of the jewelers top customers, so he takes care of us :) The appraisal was 14k about a year ago, although its hard to find a comprable price online for the custom setting (which I know tends to cost more than a pre-made setting).

Also, my wedding ring is... 14k WG, with 10 4mm x 3mm pink sapphires and 32 round brilliant diamonds totaling 0.48 cts; diamonds are I/VS-2 or better. GIA Appraised value $1815, paid 1k.

Wedding ring:
Oval Pink Sapphire & Diamond Ring  14kt White Gold

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 9:24 PM

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 9:31 PM

BlissfullBride Posts : 32 Registered: 12/29/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

CaribbeanBride08: Your wedding looks fabulous! Thanks for the compliment! I love how your ring fits together. Mine is a D colorless. There is a matching setting but I'm not too fond of it. I think I would rather just have baguettes all the way around. I know I will wear them both sometimes but my engagement ring is kind of gaudy so I don't want to wear it everyday. A eternity baguettes band would mean i don't have to worry abt the spinning (which don't know why but it totally bugs me).

SweetSunset: we went to a ring store once and I tried my hardest not to choose a ring. I kind of let him know what I like and why so he can ultimately choose one he thought suited me. I think we chose it together ^ ^

mrsJLA: That is such a chic ring! and the color is awesome!

Minutes before he popped the question!! The future Dr. and Mrs. Peter Leung... 

IMG_5926 by you.

"It's best to remember that after the party, it is still just about you and me."

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

Thanks - I love love love pink and I wanted something unique and sparkly so that I could wear it on its own. When I do wear my e-ring (I go through phases where I won't wear e-ring at all for weeks) I wear the wedding ring on my right hand. Even with all the stones it is pretty low profile an dwell made and doesn't roll around on my finger, which is also super annoying IMO.

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 11:21 PM

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullBride

BlissfulBride,
I know it's sort of late notice but I wanted to let you know that a few of us SoCal brides.com gals are getting together on Sunday (March 1st) in Newport Beach. We'd love to have you join us if you can. We're meeting at Woody's Wharf. Here's the link to the thread that has all the details.

http://www.brides.com/forums/nwr/thread.jspa?messageID=496858񹓚

Hope to see you there!!

Photobucket 

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

mrsJLA - Your ring has inspired me to get a pink band like that...not yours. But damn, now I really really want one.

Mrs. Pinky

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I'll take that as a compliment :)

I was originally looking at a single row of stones (or maybe alternating pink sapphires/diamonds) but the one I like was at Tiffany's and IMO they are a friggin rip off. It was like 3,600 or something like that. Hell no I was not spending that on a wedding ring. lol.

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

Well we actually saw a band of pink saphhires and diamonds that I'd love to wear with my e ring. Maybe we'll still do that.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

So pretty - but of course Iif you didn't guess I am uber partial to pink!

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:14 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

Me too...clue: Mrs.Pinky?

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

RSS

Thank You