Any other vegetarians out there?

Online Users: 1,235 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Any other vegetarians out there?
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 9:11 PM

Hey,

So I'm a vegetarian, have been for a couple of years.
Anyways, I am constantly trying to switch it up and keep my meals versatile...but I find myself getting bored sometimes.

I eat fish.

Anybody want to share some meals?

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: Any other vegetarians out there?
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I can help with this one!

I don't actually have any specific meal suggestions at the moment, but if you have money to spend on a couple of cookbooks, here are my recommendations:

"The Crank's Bible" by Nadine Abensur.
(Just a warning: she's English, so some of the names of foods in her books you'll have to look up, e.g. she uses the word "courgettes" for zucchini, "rocket" for arugula, etc.) When I discovered her, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. She comes up with wonderful and unusual combinations of ingredients. Some of her recipes are complicated gourmet stuff, but others are just really yummy simple things.

"How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman.
I didn't think I would ever find a cookbook writer to equal good ole Nadine. But I love him, too, because his recipes are simple and versatile--like he has ideas for various creative baked potato toppings so that if you have a family (or even just a husband with different taste than yours), you can easily have a "baked potato bar" for dinner that night and each have your own toppings.

One of my fave bake potato toppings from his book (actually, I combined a couple):
Chopped green olives (or black, if you prefer), hot red pepper flakes, chopped parsley, olive oil, and goat cheese (the goat cheese was my addition). He didn't provide quantities--it's just to taste.

If you're interested in homemade pasta sauce recipes or a risotto recipe or two, I'll be happy to post them. I didn't want to keep going on and on.....Just let me know.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Making fresh pasta and risotto are two things I have been really interested in tackling recently.
I would love your recipes!
Thanks!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 12:50 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

What's your typical meal? Basically, what are you sick of and what's your food genre (I can't think of the right word, lol). Is there anything in particular you want to try?

My favorite it a vegetable lasagna FH and I made up, it's a combination of a Betty Crocker chunky veggie lasagna recipe and my mom's traditional meat-cottage and mozzarella cheese-noodles version. We served it to my meat-loving family and they thought it was delicious! I could give you the details on that if you wanted.

HappyGirl, I would love for you to post your recipes too!

mizbex Posts : 40 Registered: 1/10/07
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I do eat alot of pasta, but you can get organic whole grain pasta which isnt bad for you, and it comes in all types even lasagna noodles. I also cook with alot of meat subsitutes from mornign star, this way I can have stir fry, tacos, manwiches, even hamburger helper all types of food with fake meat

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 11:16 PM Go to message in response to: mizbex

I have a lot of yummy veggie friendly foods! I rarely ever eat pasta!

-Veggie hot dogs

• Veggie Burgers
-Boca Spicy chik'n patty(These are AMAZING!!!!!!!)

Here are some that you have to actually cook. I love mexican food and refuse to give it up even though I am not eating meat!

Fajitas
Extra firm tofu drained and pressed then cut into cubes
lemon juice
bell peppers
red onion
jalepenos
garlic( pressed)
pepper
olive oil
Throw them all into a wok or pot and cook until the veggies are sauted

Throw that mix into a tortilla with whatever toppings you want! I put beans(I will give you the recipe next), lettuce, salsa, and avocado. It is amazing. You can also use taco seasoning or fajita mix if you dont love garlic and lemon.

Home made refried beans(these are to die for!)

40 oz can of Sun Vista beans(In a yellow can)
1 can of the pickled jalepenos (la costa I think is one brand, but there are many). There is carrots and onions in it also.
envoya oil( it is a healthier, lighter oil) I use olive oil sometimes

Pour some of the water in the can of beans out. Make sure the water is just barely covering the beans(while still in the can)
if your jalepenos are whole, cut them in half to get the stem and seeds out
In a pot, pour enough oil in it to coat the bottom of the pan decently
Then pour some of the juice from the jalepenos
then put how ever many jalepenos you can handle! I put about 10 and it is smoking hot!!! Also put some of the carrots and onions in there.
Turn on the stove and let the jalepenos, carrots, onions, oil heat up. Let them simmer for about 5 minutes. Then pour the beans in.
Turn the heat down so that the beans don't boil.
Cover it, but stir it frequently. Cook the beans for about an hour. To know if they are ready, check the jalepenos. When they are like mush, the beans are done. Then you take a masher, and smash the beans.
Then enjoy! They are sooooo good!!!

Pizza! This is my new obsession!

I love to use Trader Joes pizza dough, but if I don't have time Boboli works.
I don't like pizza sauce, so I make my own sauce(but you can use the boboli sauce)
My "sauce" is olive oil and I press garlic cloves into it. Then spread it on. I am a garlic freak!!!
Then I put some cheese on it
Then load the pizza with sliced garlic, artichoke hearts, onions, bell peppers, olives, zuccinni, jalepenos and any other veggie I can think of! Then sprinkle cheese on the top and cook.
This is one of my favorites!!!

Tacos
Throw Black Beans, corn, diced bell peppers, diced onions, diced zuccinni into a pan and pour your favorite salsa over it. Cook it until it is hot. Then throw it in a taco or burrito. I also put the beans, avocado, and brown rice into it. Sometime I will throw the rice into the pan(I use the microwave brown rice) after its cooked and sprinkle cheese into it also so it is ready to go. If I am not in the mood to a tortilla, I will make a taco salad. I will put this mixture into a bowl, throw some lettuce into it and throw a handful of chips into it. Yum!!!

Salads
Lettuce, avocado, bell peppers, cucumber, hard boiled egg whites, olives, corn, black beans. Some times I will saute some red onions and throw that into it also. Then I pour some salsa ranch dressing and some crushed tortilla chips.

For a super quick dinner or lunch I love Vons new Eating smart stuff! They have the most amazing cheese pizza! And they are only 2 bucks!!! They also have a bean fiesta thing that is really yummy.

I am sure I have some more recipes I could share. These are just my usual meals. I have been a vegetarian for a little over a year and I haven't gotten sick of any of these yet!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 1:12 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Amen to all of the above- but I use alot of baked tofu to add to salads- pasta salads (there's that pasta again!), shredded asian salad (Trader Joes).

I add the veggie bacon and salami to the pizza (at the end so it doesn't dry out too much).

There is a meatless sausage that is awesome as a breakfast scramble with tofu (soft or medium), sauteed onions and bell peppers, and potatoes (we add hot sauce and or soy sauce to tofu), add avocado if you can for an extra yummy addition.

I also use that same sausage to make lasagne (with tofu and parlsley instead of ricotta cheese), spinach, and I add bread crumbs to soak up the liquid from the tofu).

Sausage again for a stuffed bell peppers with rice (brown usually) and tomatoes. It's wonderful.

I use the mexican flavor meatless ground beef for my tacos and burritos and to make a taco salad.

I just finished a pot of incredible lentil soup which is easier than heck to make.

I've been cooking vegan for 6 years or so, and I've got lots of alternatives to keep things interesting.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 8:26 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4905 is just $419.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine