Allergic to certain metals!!

Online Users: 1,291 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

AriesArmyCouple Posts : 14 Registered: 2/14/09
Allergic to certain metals!!
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:11 PM

We have been engaged since july last year, but finally getting the ring in march, but he plans to "re-proposal" to me with it this time. Unfornately, I have history of being allergic to certain jewelry because it has nickel and cobalt in it, especially cheap jewelry. My skin gets red, itchy, puffy, and looks like it is going to bleed whenever in contact. Although I rather for him to surprise me, I do not think that is going happen. I am afraid he will buy a ring that will make me have a skin reaction. I am very disappointment because I want him to surprise me too--- I am a sucker for romance. So should we buy the engagement ring together and then leave it to him to surprise me? What if the ring makes me react?
missyess

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: Allergic to certain metals!!
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:15 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

You could just tell him that you're allergic to those metals and remind him to ask the jeweler if it has any of that in it. Or you could tell him which metals you are safe with, and have him go from there.

"Though the world will tell you it's not smart
Ever ever after
The world can be yours if you let your heart
Believe in ever after"
- Don't settle for less than what you deserve.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

Dear Missy,

You want the ring and the proposal to be a surprise, but you don't want a horrible rash as part of the deal.

Oh, gee, I can understand that.

So, you tell him.

"Honey, are you aware that I have some weird allergies to jewelry? On the hypothetical off chance that you might be thinking of (cough cough cough) surprising me with some jewelry (cough cough cough), I though I'd let you know that I have this little problem. Here is a list of what kind of metals I must NOT have in anything that comes in contact with my skin.

Now, I'll just forget we had this conversation."

Another tactic would be to get someone like your mom or sister to take him aside. "Bob, are you aware that..."

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

I am a sucker for romance. So should we buy the engagement ring together

Just a different point of view--I've always found shopping for special jewelry with my husband to be very romantic. We picked out my engagement ring together.That didn't make receiving it any less exciting. It's especially important to communicate with your FH about your allergies. It would be far less romantic to have to return your ring because you broke out in a hideous rash than it would be to have a discussion beforehand or to shop together!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

AriesArmyCouple Posts : 14 Registered: 2/14/09
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Wow. Never thought about it that way. Thanks!
missyess

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

If you can afford it think about Palladium. It is less expensive than platinum (last I checked) and is also the purest jewelers metal you can buy. I personally have a friend who can only wear stainless steel and cannot even wear platinum - so I would definitely chat with an experienced jeweler first, and try on different rings of different metals to see if you react to them (if it happens quickly) or ask a relative to test drive some of their jewelry if they don't mind.

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

I feel ya.

My husband bought me a lovely white gold ring, and, about a year into wearing it, my finger broke into a nasty rash. Unfortunately, all gold has some amount of filler in it, so I'm pretty much stuck with platinum as a metal for my ring. Hubs and I can't afford the upgrade now, so my jeweler does what he did when he first sold the ring to my husband -- he dipsit in platinum. Eventually it wears off and has to be re-dipped, but that's just what we're going to do until we pony up the cash to replace it alltogether.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the worst case scenario is that he buys you a ring, and you have to take it to the jeweler to be dipped. In the meantime, I see no problem with picking it out together or dropping a hint that you're allergic to gold because gold typically uses filler metals (and, mark my words, regardless of how expensive the gold is, all gold uses some kind of filler metal) so he'll know he'll have to go platinum or something else.

Course, then you've got a possible financial problem. . .platinum is expensive! (sometimes my hubs jokes that he's convinced my "allergy" is just my secret plot to score a platinum ring! It's not, but he jokes.)

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

I have the same problem...allergic to nickel. I can't wear most belts, and have only found two brands of jeans that don't give me a rash from the rivets. Fun, huh? I did some research on this, since my boyfriend and I are on the brink of getting engaged, and also talked to my dermatologist about it and it sounds like platinum is the best choice. I have also heard that if you do have a reaction to your ring, you can have a jeweler put some kind of coating on the inside of the ring to help with the irritation?

AmyLarr Posts : 8 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

I would definitely have a conversation with him. Palladium is a good option for people with allergy problems. It is as Hypoallergenic as Platinum but, I believe right now, cost less than gold. It has all the same characteristics as Platinum and is from the Platinum family. Pure 950 Palladium is the good stuff. If you could find an article about hypoallergenic metals and read it by him or just show it to him as something that excites you because of your allergies, he would get the clue, I hope. Good Luck.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine