Engaged but no e-ring

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

TrustLove Posts : 73 Registered: 3/7/08
Engaged but no e-ring
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 1:51 AM

FH and I have been together for three years and engaged for a little over two years. We plan on getting married on July 29, 2011. We will be having a very intimate beach wedding. For the moment I wear my promise/commitment ring that he got me about a month before he proposed on my ring finger. I have not received my e-ring yet. I was just wondering if anyone else is engaged but no e-ring yet.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: Engaged but no e-ring
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

I never had an engagement ring either. I went from no ring to a gold band. I really didn't want an engagement ring. I wanted a wedding band. When we decided to renew our vows a couple of years ago my husband brought me an engagement ring then it was actually part of the wedding set he bought. So in answer to your question yes, I was engaged with no e-ring for me the ring didn't make me engaged, the fact that we decided to marry and had a plans to make that happen it what made me engaged.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I considered us engaged the moment the words left his month and I said yes. We had talked about getting married for a long time before he proposed. It was the perfect proposal and I wouldn't change anythng about the way he proposed. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who was in the same boat.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

Yep that is when you became engaged. The way he asked you is the story you tell for years to come. The ring is a piece of jewelry it is a nice piece of jewelry don't get me wrong but for me the more important thing is the piece of paper that said I was his wife. The gold band was the outward symbol for the rest of the world.

I don't know if there are others that feel this way or not there are so many people who don't think they are engaged until they have a diamond ring on their finger. To me they miss the whole point of an engagement.

AriesArmyCouple Posts : 14 Registered: 2/14/09
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

My fiance and I have been together for 2 years and we have been engaged for 8 months without a ring. I thought that by having a ring, it would make the engagement official. But an engagement is the promise that you and your fiance make to wed each other. The ring is the symbolic meaning of that promise. I do not have a ring either, but I will be prospose to again with a ring!

Therefore, I am techincally engaged and loving it!!!!

missyess

Sharkgirllovesc... Posts : 39 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: AriesArmyCouple

My bf has yet to propose but he told me to go ahead and plan things since we both know we want to get married this summer. We have the reception venue booked, photographer booked, caterer booked, the girls have all purchased their dresses and such but still no ring =(

He told me he wanted to get one to make me proud & with all his hints he dropped last fall, I thought for sure that it would happen over the holidays. But nothing.

Then I lost my job =(

He just found out his tax return is less than last year (although he paid more in taxes this year??) and no one in the office is getting the annual raise or bonus.

It seems as though I'm never going to get an e ring.

It's difficult telling people we are getting married but not only are technically engaged, but I have no ring and NO ONE besides my wedding party is taking us seriously whatsoever.

And to make things more difficult, he refuses to do anything on credit (which I totally understand) but at this point, I will never have one =(

Any advice, suggestions??

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: Sharkgirllovesc...

For me an e-ring was not important. I also didn't feel it was necessary to prove to anyone that I was getting married. If it is that big of a deal for you why not check out QVC and get one of their Diamonique Rings for the time being. They are inexpensive and look like the real thing. It will shut up the doubters.

wedding websites

sherrim2tobe Posts : 1 Registered: 2/17/09
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

I am late on this....but I do not have a ring yet either. We just picked it out this past weekend and now that he has the actual ring he wants to do some grand romantic gesture to ask me. The first proposal was just us talking about it then setting a date and getting a color scheme down then realizing that we really want to do this. We decided to not tell our parents until we have the ring and it is done and he will do it shortly after asking my grandfather for his blessing. We know we are getting married, we have the date, the ring will just be icing on the cake and something concrete for us to show our parents If you knew our parents you would understand this one....they will be more than excited but very old fashioned.

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: sherrim2tobe

Sharksgirl: Hang in there, hopefully the ring will come soon for both of us. I know what you mean about people not taking you seriously. It gets frustrating at times I know, but try not to let their comments get to you, because at the end of the day as long as you know that you and your FH are serious about getting married that's all that matters. I wish we were getting married this summer. It sounds like you have a lot of planning already done, that's really good.

Sherrim: That's so exciting that you went to go pick out your ring this past weekend. What does it look like? FH and I had been talking about getting married for a while and one day in early Dec of 06 while we were lying in bed he turned to me and asked me to marry him. We have decided to also wait to tell the parents we are engaged until after I get my engagement ring. I think the ring to our parents (atleast) would be very concrete and show them how serious we are about getting married.

wedding website

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

Hey good for you, love conquers jewelery every time. Get a ring if you both want to, but don't do it because you feel pressured or judged by other people. I wouldn't mind not getting an e-ring--it's the wedding band that I'm looking forward to!

TexasSweetAngel Posts : 34 Registered: 1/16/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

me and my sweetheart been together for 12 yrs. ive been through 2 engagement rings. i havent gotton mine yet. im hopin to get mine soon. dont care how much it is or the size of it. as long as he loves me for who i am

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

congrats!! And even though you have no e-ring does not mean your FH don't love you. Your still going to marry him, regardless of ring or no ring.

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: Sharkgirllovesc...

Shark, that sounds like a tough situation for you two to be in. I would suggest just reassuring him that you will be proud regardless of what the ring is, and see if you can get something inexpensive in order to have that symbol, since it seems important to you and would help others to take you more seriously (though I think it's quite rude that they're not already), and then if you want something more expensive later, you guys can get that when it's a better time financially. The important thing is that you want to marry each other and share your lives. I hope it all works out and comes together soon.

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

I don't think you need a ring to be engaged. It's just a symbol. It's nice to have if you like it, but what's important is what is being symbolized, that you are planning to get married and be together for the rest of your lives. So, congrats to all you ladies who are engaged, with a ring, or without one.

nestyn08 Posts : 156 Registered: 7/11/06
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

Hey girls,
I'm in the same boat. I was engaged before and the ring meant something for me. Everybody knew I was engaged but no plans were ever made concrete. I mean we talked about the wedding but never set a date or started really planning. Know I'm with this guy that means the world to me and we are finally talking about getting married, we have a time of the year that this can happen, we even start talking about the type of wedding we want and how we both want to buy a condo by the end of this year if we meet our economical goal but still no e-ring. Then again it doesn't mean I really need one because as I said I had one and didn't make that huge deal or made things work.
The downside for me is that I don't know if I should start planning since we both agree to get married the latest by Dec 09 or if I should wait until he proposed which I know he wants. So I wouldn't worried if I were you at leat we planning is moving on. Don't listen to people, noone is ever happy and people will always mind other people's bussiness. If you are happy as other girls have said the important one at least for me is the wedding band and you are getting yours!!!! so congrats and be happy!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine