Am I over-reacting?

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 5

ADazzlingEvent Posts : 69 Registered: 4/24/08
Am I over-reacting?
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:20 PM

Hello all,

Everytime I bring my wedding up to my best friend/maid of honor, she makes me feel like she don't want to hear what I have to say. When I asked her about it, she says that I sometimes talk about the same stuff and it becomes redundant. That really hurt my feelings. I very well may talk about the same things, but I am getting married and I am excited. She has been my best friend for more than 10 years, I would think that she would feel the same level of excitement.

What do you think? Am I over-reacting?

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Re: Am I over-reacting?
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

I think this falls into the category of "No one will be as excited about your wedding as you." Which would have had to have been THE best piece of advice I ever received about my wedding. You MOH is probably happy for you but can lose patience when all you ever talk about it wedding stuff.

Try taking a weekend or afternoon and do best friend stuff together. Get coffee, talk about life, go window shopping, get a pedicure...all without talking about ANY wedding stuff. She might just need a break.

Good luck!

Mrs. Pinky

vday.gif picture by jenny3_26_05

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

I agree with MrsPinky. Also maybe your bestfriend is a little bit jealous. Try to balance things out and not talk too much about the wedding and also try to put yourself in HER shoes. I know you are excited but talking too much about something can get annoying after awhile.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I'm with Pinky too with no "no one is as excited as you." I know it stinks to think about where you are now, but your Best Friend may very well be very excited for you, but she still has a life happening too and other things going on. I remember I had to keep telling myself that too. Definitely make sure to spend time without weddingy stuff coming up. :)

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

Yes, you are overreacting. You're also expecting far too much from your friend.

As others said above, your wedding is the biggest thing going on in YOUR life right now, but it's not quite so big for anyone other than you. She may be truly excited for you, but even so, when it's not your wedding, hearing about it nonstop can get boring. She misses her friend.

I would try to keep the wedding talk to a minimum. Like Pinky suggested, get together with her to do other things. Call her to talk about something other than wedding stuff. Listen to what is going on in HER life.

Yes, I'm sure your friend is very happy for you...but hearing you debate the merits of different centerpieces nonstop can get old. That's why we have this website. Obsess about your wedding details HERE, with other people who care about debating the merits of tiny details. That way, you can spare your friends and family from having to listen to every wedding-related thought that goes through your head. You can save the good stuff for them, and we'll listen to all the rest.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

I agree with the others, but I have a question. You posted in the "Waiting for the Ring" section--are you actually engaged yet? If not, maybe that's a reason for her reaction.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine