Going off the Pill

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Going off the Pill
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:23 PM

Ok, so I'm thinking about going off the pill and using condoms for birth control. I have plethora of reasons, but the main one being I have no sex drive. We have sex once a week maybe. Also, I am experiencing some serious mood swings. One minute I'm all lovey-dovey, the next I'm all "leave me alone before I throw something at you" and about to cry. Also, I am trying to lose weight. I have changed my eating habits, and I work out 1 - 2 hours at least 4 days a week, and it's not moving. So I am wondering if it's a hormonal thing. My normal OB-GYN left the clinic and this time I had to see the "grandpa" of the clinical. (Like literally, he started the practice.) And he was no help at all!

All that being said, I was wondering if anyone else had gotten off the pill, and what side effects did you experience? This is my last week of active pills, and I was just going to not start the new pack after my cycle. DH is on board as long as I document when my cycle are to make sure I'm regular and to know when I am ovulating to make sure we don't have a happy accident.

Thanks for your input

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Going off the Pill
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I don't know about going off, but I wanted to let you know that we still use two forms of BC. Either the pill and condom or the pill and something called VCF (Vaginal Comtraceptive Film).

The film is great, not messy, and is effective for up to 4 hours after insert. I really like it. I'm not sure if it is as good if you have already had kids, but if used with a condom, it's just another barrier.

I don't know about you, but I like that peice of mind. :-)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

My advice would be to find a new gyno and discuss different options of BC. What pill are you on? A lot of women get big emotional side effects from the hormones in high-dose (high-estrogen, I believe) pills. I can't take them. I need to take low-dose pills (which I believe have less estrogen and more progestin...or maybe the other way around). There's also the patch, NuvaRing, micropills, and various other forms of BC that you could try. Have you always been on this pill, or have you tried others and had better luck? I was switched from pill to pill for YEARS before I found one that worked. I get no side effects at all from my current pills, except that I get really light periods (sometimes no periods, which freaks me out and makes me think I'm pregnant for a couple days, but it's nothing a trip to the drugstore and $15 stick to pee on can't fix!)

It sounds like you need a new gyno anyway, so I'd take this opportunity to find one who will listen to you and work with you to find the best BC option. Personally, I can't stand using condoms - even the thin ones feel like rubber to me. I never used to think that, but after not using them for years, it felt terrible when we used one. But that's me - if you and DH are OK with the way they feel and you're Ok with the 3% fail rate, that's up to you.

I went off the pill for about a year a few years ago when I didn't have insurance. Yeah, I know I could have gone to a clinic and gotten them, but Dh was living in a different city at the time, so BC wasn't a constant need. But we'll say that that period of my life was when I learned that I hate condoms. Anyway, I didn't really have any side effects. My periods got heavier and lasted longer, and I found that I naturally have (or did, at that time) a 32-day cycle rather than a 28-day cycle. Other than that, I didn't experience any side effects at all...but everyone is different, so it's hard to predict how your body will react.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

My pills have been all over the place I've been on at least 5 different pills since 2001. They include Ortho-Tri Cyclen, Ortho Cyclen, Yaz, Yazmin, and Levora, which I am on now. Have been for a year. I only recently noticed the weight gain, but I think that had less to do with the pill and more to to with denial. I think I may use a condom a few times before quitting just to get use to it. I had a higher sex drive in college, but I think that has a lot to do with lifestyle changes than anything.

PharmTox, thanks for the infor about the VCF. Unfortunately I am allergic to nonoxyl - 9, so those aren't an option.

Art, I do need to a new OB, I just hate starting over.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I had surgery 'down there' about a month and a half ago and went off my pills as i couldn't have sex for a month anyway and then we have to use condoms for the 2 months after that - i didn't see the point in spending $15 a month when there wasn't a need for them. i didn't really have much side affects from the pill i was on (which was a low dosage) and when i went off, things seem fine. I got my prescription refilled and picked up my next pack, but im not planning on starting them for another still, not to mention my doctor gave me an even lower dosage and I'm not looking forward to the surprise as to whether or not ill have side effects with this one =/

Friends since December 1997
Together since December 2006

September 13, 2008
Legally, I became his and he became mine.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

That sucks. I'm allergic to latex, so we have to use the non-latex condoms. So the film for me is a good thing.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Hi Chirs,
I went off the pill before the wedding, in hoping of getting pregnant. But that still hasn't happened. But getting back to you.....It took about 3 or 4 months for my cycle to get back to normal. Right now I'm on a 26 or 28 day cycle. I've always tracked the beginning & ending of each cycle, so I know when I'll be (so should be) ovulating.

The only thing that stinks about being off the pills, is the bloating & the cramps.

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

I just wanted to say, how long has it been since you switched to the last pill? Remember it takes 3 months for your body to full adjust.

I am on sesonal ( I was an emotional basket case for 3 months) I also gained weight. Now that the 3 months is over, I can loose the weight (yes, slowly, but it still happens).

I second Art though, check with a new OBGYN and see what they have to say, or what options they suggest.
Me, my honey and our kitties make 4.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

I've been on this one for a year. I did schedule an appointment with another OB-GYN facility for next week, but I'm thinking about calling another one that is associated with the network of doctors I already see. (Avoid some of the redundant paperwork.) Hopefully I can get in within the next week, because they will keep me from having to delay getting off for a month. I want to make sure I have all the information I can get before I make this decision.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

My 2 cents even though everyone's different and everyone's already given you good advice:

I went off the pill 3 months ago and have had no side effects except for my period coming on a weird schedule. For example, I'm now 6 days late (and the pregnancy test I took said I'm not pregnant).

I remember when my best friend went off her BC she just started getting the terrible cramps she used to get before she went on BC.

So my guess is that you'll just take a bit to get regular again and whatever PMS symptoms you had pre-BC are what you'll have after you go off.

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I haven't gone off pills so I'm no help there. Just wanted to let you know that if you can't get into an associated dr. next week, see if they can give you a sample pack of whatever you are on to hold you over. Just tell the nurse that your prescription is up and you found out that your old OBGYN left the practice and don't want to go off and then start back on pills a month later. They should be pretty accomodating.

I have been switching pills around and my Dr. has given me 3 months of sample packs and then schedules a 3 month follow up. Well, on this pill (Femcon FE) my appt is 1 week after I should have started a 4th pack. I don't think I want to stay on this pill, so I didn't want to go get my prescription filled (the prescription is for a 3 month supply). I called up and told the nurse that my situation and they had 2 more months waiting for me to pick it up.

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I went off the pill once for about a year and a half (that was about 3 years ago). Actually, I noticed a bad difference in going off the pill for me. I was REALLY moody, and had terrible mood swings. My cycles came back with a vengeance and every month for the first two days of my cycle, I would have to call in sick (that went on for about 6 months and my cycle returned to "pre-pill" state). I cramped and bled really bad.

We want to start a family one day and I just know going off the pill is going to be pure hell the first 6 months. So good luck with that Monica!

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

"We want to start a family one day and I just know going off the pill is going to be pure hell the first 6 months."

Not always. For a lot of people I've talked to, only the first month sucked.

Or, you could be even luckier and have NO problems.

The biggest "side effect" I've heard is this: remember back when you first went on the pill? Your periods suddenly seemed a lot lighter, didn't they? So when you go off of the pill, they'll probably seem a lot heavier, at least at first.

I had no problems going off of the pill (I dont ovulate on my own, so that could be why, lol). But also, it did NOT increase my sex drive and I actually gained weight when I went off of it because I ate more (generally, the pill doesn't actually make you gain weight, so unforunately, you probably won't have any extra luck losing weight when you stop taking it)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 7:28 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Thanks for all the comments. Honestly, I can't remember much about my cycle pre-pill. I remember it being horrible in high school but I would think that that may have changed since it was almost 10 years ago. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I just hate that my old doctor left. She actually took the time to talk to you about things you had going on or any concerns you may have had. This doctor acted like he was irritated because I kept him in the room for 5 minutes after he did my Pap.

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

i have gone on and off the pill before. in previous times i wanted to give myself a break from it. this time i want to clear my system of it so that my husband and i can try for a baby later this year.

i just wanted to add i also have lack of sex drive when on the pill. if i am off the pill for a few days i will notice the difference and so does my husband.

the pills i take are always low dose but i still get the side effects. i would say that when i am on it i tend to gain 5 pounds. in the times i have stopped the pill the 5 pounds seem to immediately disappear.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine