Post your favourite healthy recipes!!!

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Post your favourite healthy recipes!!!
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 6:39 PM

It seems like a lot of people are into the Diet&Fitness forum and we are all helping and supporting each other.

I thought it would be nice to sort of create a brides.com community cookbook!

Everybody can post their favourite healthy recipes that still taste delicious for the other brides on here!!! It doesn't necessarily have to be a step by step method involving different measurements, but maybe even just a description. But for those who are willing to do the step by step or measurements, it would be nice for those who aren't martha stewart or rachael ray. Personally, I make up a lot of my recipes on the spot so I may not have measurements.

I will post some soon. Just thought I would get this thread started.

Edited by: BrighterThanSunshine on Jan 18, 2009 6:39 PM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Post your favourite healthy recipes!!!
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 12:55 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Favourite Breakfast recipes:

Berry French Toast:

I just use an italian whole wheat bread and make french toast, add a splash of syrup and then load it with my raspberries and blueberries (strawberries and blackberries would work nicely as well)

Veggie Omelet:

I heat up a medium sized frying pan and then add sliced vegetables and let them sweat (my favourites are red bell peppers, onion and portobello mushrooms, sometimes spinach....but there are so many options) and then I add in my egg mix which is usually 4 or 5 eggs if I am making it for FH and I. I let the eggs settle and then once it is starting to cook through and the bottom is nice and brown, I stick it into a preheated oven and let it broil for a few minutes so the top bubbles and crispens.
I then serve it with some whole grain toast

Cereal:

Although a lot of cereals come with some healthy mixes in, you can always add them yourself. A lot of the time it is dried fruit, which is good...but I sometimes like to jazz up a bowl of cereal with some raisins or with some sliced fresh fruit to start off my morning.

Ihop Pancakes:

I think a lot of you are American, so you must know the good ol' IHOP! One of my favourite and healthy things to get from their is their harvest grain 'n nut pancakes! Well, I obviously had to go find the recipe online so I could do it myself. And now here it is for all of you!

3/4cupQuaker oats
3/4cupwhole wheat flour
2tspbaking soda
1tspbaking powder
1/2tspsalt
1 1/2cupbuttermilk
1/4cupvegetable oil
1xegg
1/4cupgranulated sugar
3tblfinely-chopped blanched almonds
3tblfinely-chopped walnuts

• Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and preheat it to medium heat.
  • Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine, like flour. Combine oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
  • In another bowl combine buttermilk, oil, egg and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, add nuts and mix well with mixer.
  • Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet and cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until brown.

• That recipe actually makes 8 pancakes, so plenty for you and FH and then even some leftover!!!

Of course there is nothing wrong with some granola and/or yogurt or a quick bowl of cereal.

But if you have time to make yourself breakfast in the morning, I think it's nice to treat yourself to something nutritious and delicious.
    The french toast recipe is especially quick! Takes no more than 10 minutes.

BrideofFrankens... Posts : 31 Registered: 1/14/09
    Posted: Jan 21, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

a lot of people laugh at me for this, but I LOVE IT!!! i pour yogurt over my cereal instead of milk! Fat free cherry vanilla yogurt and special k is a fave!

i make "pizza" out of a whole wheat tortilla, tomato paste, canned mushrooms, tomato chunks, canned banana peppers, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and just a bit of cheese to hold everything in place. tortilla pizza is also good with BBQ sauce, chicken breast (grilled or from a can), red onion and little bit of cheese too. bake those bad boys in the oven at about 350 degrees for a few mins and you're good to go!

i also make a pretty mean tuna salad using canned tuna, fat free mayo, pickle relish, oregano, (if i've got red grapes i cut them up and add them too!!! yum!!!) stuffed in a pita with lettuce and a slice of fat free swiss.

Edited by: BrideofFrankenstein on Jan 21, 2009 4:45 PM

prettymie Posts : 10 Registered: 9/14/12
    Posted: Sep 19, 2012 1:49 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

spinach fritata
    ohh i love it!

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
    Posted: Jan 7, 2013 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Here are my healthy food choices!

Protein: Turkey (white meat) or ground turkey, chicken (white meat), any fish, egg whites, tofu, beans, low-fat cottage cheese or any low-fat hard cheese (a portion of which equals three pairs of dice), yogurt.

Starchy carbohydrates: Yams, potatoes, oatmeal, couscous, brown rice, barley, bulgur, high-fiber cereal, corn, peas.

Fibrous carbohydrates: Broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach, romaine lettuce, apples, strawberries, oranges, peaches, pears.

ON SUNDAY
    Rest! And eat reasonable portions of whatever you want.

jillyforrest Posts : 8 Registered: 9/18/12
    Posted: Feb 27, 2013 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: Uberoom1

Ohh! These are great ideas!! Thanks so much for the tip! :)

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
    Posted: Feb 28, 2013 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: jillyforrest

You’re welcome, you can also check this webpage

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking

it has very good recipes and good ideas for eating healthy!

AdamSmithh Posts : 7 Registered: 4/26/13
    Sweet Green Juice
    Posted: Apr 26, 2013 7:18 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Delicious refreshing juice made with a blender. The recipe makes 4 servings, 2 cups each
    Ingredients

1/4 of a pineapple, cut into chunks (cooled is better)
    2 small organic apples, peeled and cut into large pieces
    1/3 organic large cucumber
    3 c organic fresh spinach
    1 frozen banana

Instructions

Fill your blended with about 4 cups water
    Add juice ingredients and blend until smooth
    Add more water if the juice is too thick
    Serve immediately or store in a mason jar with little airspace and drink within a day

http://www.nourition.com/2013/01/22/recipe-sweet-green-juice/

Link: Food Sensitivity Elimination Diet
    Link: Nutritionist Richmond VA

lisaanderson Posts : 5 Registered: 10/23/13
    Posted: Oct 26, 2013 5:49 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Fruits
    Oats
    Juices

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
    Posted: Dec 25, 2013 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: lisaanderson

I do love crackers with tuna instead of other dips.

:) love ya

jakson Posts : 4 Registered: 12/17/13
    Posted: Mar 6, 2014 4:01 AM Go to message in response to: lisaanderson

You have shared the great recipes to keep our body healthy and fit.

Thanks
    Proteinpowder.com.au

RSS

Thank You
    for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
    Subscribe to Brides magazine