Invitation Envelope printing AHHH!!!

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Invitation Envelope printing AHHH!!!
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:43 PM

This is driving me crazy, maybe some of you can help me

We bought our invitations from The American Wedding and they are beautiful but now I have been trying to figure out how to print out our inner and outter envelopes using my home printer. I've come to terms with just pricking a font that looks like calligraphy and doing it at home because in our small town there is no way to find, let alone Pay for a calligrapher. I know there is a letter/envelope setting in Microsoft Word but my envelopes are a custom size in Word and I have to go in and customize everything and type in Every Single Guests Address and Names.....I know this makes me seem lazy but 100 invites is a lot.

Any suggestions of programs or alternate ways to get these things addressed in the next month or two? I certainly would appreciate the help

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Invitation Envelope printing AHHH!!!
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Dear BC,

You can continue to fight the MS Word mail merge, or you can do the "correct" thing: Hand write them.

You need not have professional calligraphy. Just write the addresses in legible handwriting. If your handwriting is like mine, crummy, find some friend who owes you a favor and ask her if she'll do it.

Etiquettely speaking, social correspondence, such as wedding invitations, should be handwritten. Business correspondence is machine-printed.

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

I agree with Aunt, but I couldn't see myself writing out 200 inner and outer envelopes. Plus we both have horrible handwriting.

So I used Microsoft Word to print the envelopes. It's really hard to explain to you how to do them, because I'm not looking at that screen. There are literally hundreds of different fonts, so when you do figure it out, make sure ALL the fonts match and the size is the same. Also, are you working with the latest Word program? They are very different but you can catch on rather quickly.

Also, make sure you adjust your paper tray. What I did was experiment by cutting paper the same size as the envelopes. You've really got to play with the program until you get what you want.

Also, make sure you SAVE the fonts just in case you get tired and have to quit for a while.

I got a ton of compliments from our guests regarding the invites!

Good Luck!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Handwriting them seems easier to me than messing with the envelopes and a printer. Not to mention it's the 'proper' way to do it, like AOTB said.

I hand-addressed ours. It took me two evenings - working on it about 2 hours each night - to do 80 invitations. I don't have great handwriting, either - I had to practice writing each name and address legibly before trying it on the envelope. And I made some mistakes - but I had plenty of extra envelopes. In any case, I doubt it took me much longer to hand-address them than it would have taken me to do them all in Word.

Or you could always try calling the invitation company, explaining your problem, and asking for advice. They probably know how to set their own envelopes up to print in Word.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

I know I'm always in the minority here, but every time this whole handwriting versus printing debate comes up I say just get the damn things calligraphered. It's not THAT expensive relative to the cost of a wedding as a whole (and I have no idea why people are always in uproars that it is).

For example, we are using a company called A Fine Letter Calligraphy. They allow you to mail them your invites and address list, they address them, and mail them back to you, so proximity is not an issue. My favorite script that they have is Georgian, which costs $.75 for an outer envelope and $.35 for an inner envelope - $1.10 total per invite. So you could get all 100 of your invites and inner envelopes addressed for $110, plus the cost of mailing them to the calligrapher's. Not bad if you ask me - I would pay $100 to avoid messing with the printer or handwriting them any day!! Their website is: http://www.afineletter.com/

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

You're right, MrsM...the company you used isn't that expensive. Personally, it wouldn't have been worth the effort (for me) to pack up all the invitations, send them off, and wait for them to be returned. Out of curiosity, how long did it take? In my case, we didn't order our invitations very early. After getting them reprinted (since they spell-checked and 'corrected' DH's last name to a more common word), we really only had a couple days until I wanted to get them in the mail, so we had no choice but to hand-address them. Honestly, though, I didn't even look into calligraphy. I guess I just didn't care that much about having pretty invitations! Glad to know that it's not too expensive, though! I'll pass the word to my friends!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I think that you have to open the back flap of the printer to make them work.

And I do remember reading in an etiquette book that the envelopes could be printed, so long as they matched the invitations EXACTLY (font, font color, etc).... we're also printing ours up, and since we're making our own invitations, the font will match.

(To do the special touch, we're ordering wax and a wax seal -- I'm presently toying with getting ribbon to go under the wax)

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Excellent point! I forgot about that! Our envelope fonts matched our invitations.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art - their turnaround is 7-10 days from the date they recieve your invites to get them back in the mail to you. So, yeah, you have to plan ahead a bit to get them turned around, but I still thought it was worth it. I hand-addressed the save the dates, and it totally stressed me out since my handwriting isn't that great!

I guess I jusg feel like, if you're happy to handwrite them yourself, that's awesome. But for people who are super stressed about their handwriting and the whole printing debate, it might be easier to just get someone to address them.

Edited by: FutureMrsM2009 on Jan 17, 2009 10:37 PM

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

I don't know if you're FH is planning on helping you, but another way to get the envelopes done without messing with Word is to recruit your FH and assorted close friends or family and have an envelope-addressing party.

If you have 3-4 people to help you, have them over, order pizza for them and address envelopes--everybody gets around 20 to 25. Or if they run out of juice before that, they just do whatever they're up for, and you'll still have fewer to do.

Nobody I know has ever done something like that (well, we sort of did, but it was just me, the FH and my mom), but if one of my good friends invited me over for an evening to hang out and help her out with something like that, I'd be happy to do it and hang with her and her other friends. But maybe that's just me....

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

{size:12pt}Ha FH has offered to help with a lot of the
planning but addressing envelopes would not be one of them. He has Horrible boy
handwriting, not being mean just a fact. The postman wouldn't know where to send the
invites! I know that handwriting the invitations is the 'proper' thing to do
but I don't take life that seriously and it will be more formal if they are
printed instead of my chicken scratch hand writing. The calligrapher doesn't
sound that expensive but the way I look at it is I could be putting that $100+
into something else for the wedding or our house. We are footing the entire bill
ourselves and I would like to have almost everything paid off by our wedding
day (and we are basically on track so far).
I think I'm going to keep playing with the printer and see what happens. My
mother suggested clear address labels which I know are another etiquette no no.
I think I will hand write before I do labels just so the one person in my
family who actually cares about etiquette (if there even is one) doesn't crucify
me.
I would like to think that people would be more excited to be invited to our wedding than disappointed that I didn't hand address the envelopes, they are probably going to throw them away anyway

foreverurs Posts : 31 Registered: 10/1/08
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

we are having a small destination wedding ..20 rooms/25 invites. We bought small boxes and stained them, then sent them out wrapped in brown wrapping paper. When you open up the box, the invite is in the sand in the box. BUT, my point is that we hand wrote all the addresses. I am a neat writer so it looked great!

SarahSWS Posts : 1 Registered: 3/23/13
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Dear BlissfullyContent,

You can use the Mail Merge feature in Microsoft Word to set up and print all of your guest envelopes. I'd recommend finding a tutorial online before attempting it yourself. Here's one on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuMJAlG0G0

Of course, there's still the problem of getting your home printer to actually print the envelopes. Unfortunately, not all printers are created equally when it comes to printing envelopes. Sometimes the printer might bend the envelopes, only let you print one envelope at a time, or it might just reject the envelope all together. However, if your printer is capable of envelope printing, this can save you time and make your invitations look great!

Alternatively, you could hire someone to print your invitations for you. On www.SendWithStyle.com you can order your invitations online and get all of your envelopes pre-printed with your guest addresses. Send With Style also can mail out your invitations directly to your guests if you also order your invites from them.

Best of luck! I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine