Ring sizing?

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Ring sizing?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:20 PM

So, my boyfriend and I have talked a lot about rings and wedding stuff, and he has asked me what shape stone I want (but said that's the only choice I get to make, because he already knows exactly what ring he wants to buy me, haha, love him : ) So, last night he was sitting reading his email and out of the blue asks, "Um, just out of curiousity, do you have ANY idea what size ring you wear?" Which, I really don't.....never really worn a lot of jewelry. So, I figured that I should go to a jewelry store and get sized so I can tell him.....we've discussed going ring shopping together, but he says he really wants me to be surprised, and I do too!

Question is, on the ring sizing, how do you want the ring to fit? Totally snug? I'm a little claustrophobic and really hate wearing any kind of tight jewelry....rings, necklaces, whatever....makes me freak out a little, haha. But, if the ring is a little on the big side, do I risk losing it? Like if I get my hands wet is it gonna slip right off? Any suggestions or experiences of your own to share?

Thanks! : )

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Re: Ring sizing?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I would say you wouldn't want it to fit too snug. Naturally fingers swell at times, and they "shrink" when they are cold so if it's too snug then you might end up with some circulation issues. When you get your finger sized you'll want to make sure your hands are warm. The jeweler will be able to help to see what will be most comfortable to you though. I personally like mine a little snug because it drives me nuts when I have to constantly twist my ring back around.

Hope that helps!

RLM Posts : 27 Registered: 10/4/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:43 AM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Definitely go to a jeweler to get proper ring sizing. I've actually picked out my engagement ring and had the jeweler write down the model#'s of the engagement ring setting, wedding ring and type of stone (I prefer princess or pear). He also included the size of each of the rings. My left hand is an 8 - right is 8.5. The e-ring I will wear on my right hand once we're married (the bands are wide on both rings).

Sounds like the engagement is coming soon for you. Happy planning.

wedding website

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: RLM

I work in a jewelry store, so I deal with this all the time! You want your ring to go on easy but come off a little tough. You dont want to lose your ring so I would go a little snug than too loose!

Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married! December 27, 2008!

http://alaireandclayton.weddings.com

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I agree, the best way is to ask you jeweler, ring too tight is not the best idea, and too loose aint good also

I bought our rings @

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: Franko

Thanks for the advice ladies! I am planning on going to a jeweler to get sized soon. I guess since he asked, I should find out what size ring I wear!

I can't wait for the proposal. I know it's coming soon, but I don't know when. We are going on a cruise to the Caribbean, leaving on Valentine's Day, which would be a great time to do it, but, at the same time, he has told me a bunch of times that I'm not gonna see the proposal coming and I will be totally surprised, so who knows...

Either way, I'm excited!! : )

jenle Posts : 62 Registered: 4/7/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 7:35 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

A jeweler is definitely best - they have the ring sizer and the professional knowledge. I made the mistake of guessing my size and telling my now husband - I guessed wrong. The ring was 1 size too large and needed to be resized. Not a big deal, but it's better to know ahead of time!

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I just wanted to mention something the jeweler told me in advance that proved to be true for me. If you're getting an engagement ring/wedding band set that will be soldered together (as opposed to having your wedding ring be a separate ring entirely from your e-ring), the ring will be slightly more snug after they've been soldered together. My e-ring was a tad loose-fitting by itself, but was perfect after it was soldered to my wedding band. Hope this helps! And your upcoming cruise and engagement (even if they don't happen at the same time) sound really exciting! :D

Anjelbabe Posts : 55 Registered: 1/10/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

With my ex I had a locking set. I was able to wear the e-ring without the band but it would slip off once I had the set together it was better. Because they locked together I didn't make it a perminent thing. Well after moving frem Vegas to WA I needed to get it resized cause my fingers " shrank" because of the weather. I talk with my hands a lot and the thing kept flying off had it resized three different times making it smaller each time It was easy going on but would not fly off. They finally did a special fitting on it the third time. Morgans is good about that.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine