DIY Proposal

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

parvastella22 Posts : 199 Registered: 4/24/06
DIY Proposal
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 12:59 PM

I'm just curious to those who are waiting to get engaged...would you think about proposing yourself? I haven't heard any stories of any woman going ahead and proposing on her own. I think for non-traditional couples this might be the idea, but even Queen Victoria proposed before her man.

How would you do it if you were to try?

FitzMcgee Posts : 13 Registered: 12/11/08
Re: DIY Proposal
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I've been tempted to just drop down on one knee and propose to my boyfriend, but I know he'd just laugh and act like I'm kidding. We're hardly tradtional in any sense but when it comes to proposals I know he wants to be the one proposing. Of course, I'm the one who gets the marriage discussion going and starts mentally planning and whatnot, but he wants to do the "manly" thing and propose to me ;P

I, personally, see nothing wrong with women proposing to men. Of course, dropping to one knee might cause a giggle or two. And maybe I wouldn't go as far as to present him with a ring, either. Some guys might feel that emasculates them. I think a romantic setup would work with just flat out asking, "Will you marry me?" But I definitely think the woman should make sure her man would be comfortable with this. Again, some guys feel that if a woman proposes to them it emasculates them and they could get embarrassed. But as long as you know it's a sure thing, I say go for it ;)

I'm a newbie learnin' the ropes :D

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I am currently awaiting a proposal from my man, but he has straight out told me that he thinks that a woman proposing to a man is a bad idea. I think that we got to talking about the subject after watching the episode of Friends where Phoebe proposes to her boyfriend at a basketball game, haha. My boyfriend looked at me and said "please don't do that." Then he said that he already has his proposal to me all planned out, and that if I jumped the gun and proposed to him, it would totally ruin his plan and steal his thunder.

I suppose that the whole "the man is supposed to propose" idea is rather antiquated in this day and age of women's empowerment and all, but, you know what? I am totally ok with that : ) I know my proposal is coming and I am willing to wait.....I just hope it's soon : )

DaniTheGirl Posts : 3 Registered: 1/8/09
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

Ha, I have not ever thought of proposing to my boyfriend. We are pretty traditional, and even though I have no clue when he is proposing, I know he would just laugh at me and not take me seriously if I tried it.
Have no problem with the idea, it just would not work out for us specifically.
True high school sweethearts!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: parvastella22

I would never actually ask a guy to marry me. It's just not my style. I know DH wouldn't appreciate it either. We're a little too traditional for that move, but.... since you asked "How would you do it?" I'll play along.

I don't think I would give him a ring.
DH Loves to ride snow mobiles. I think I would have a friend take me to a field and I would use my feet to write "Marry me?" in the snow. Later that day, I would have my man take me riding and ask to go to that field (or have the friend come and suggest we go there to ride). Then, when we got there, I would ask him to marry me. Then we'd ride to a local bar where friends and family could meet us and celebrate.

Anybody else want to play along?

Always kiss me goodnight

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine