We Just Got THE CALL...Question for Moms about Inducing Labor...

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 28

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Re: We Just Got THE CALL...Question for Moms about Inducing Labor...
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

Hurrah! About time.

Congrats!

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

YAY!!

Well I was induced. I was 6 days overdue and admitted due to having low amniotic fluid. They started the first round of meso something or another (a tiny pill they insert into your cervix to get it to dilate). I got the full amount of that they could administor because it wasn't doing anything to get me dilated. I was admitted at only being 1 cm and only a little bit soft. (you have to get to 10 cms to be able to push that baby out, and your cervix has to be nice and soft and open and on and on - basically I was no where in sight of going into labor).

On the 2nd day of being there, they inserted a cathet. on top of my cervix, filled it up with saline solution and taped the end of that to the inside of my leg. It was to act as his head, which dilated me to 4 cms and softened me up a lot. Once that was removed, everything stayed there.

They started me on pitocin (an iv that gives you oxytocin, which is the hormones that make you go into labor) on the 3rd day. I will still at 4cms. Joey didn't respond well to that and his heartrate kept going in and out. The nurse reassigned all of her patients and monitored just us for that day.

Eventually my doctor came back from being on vaca, told off the doctor who was on call, told me I was having this baby tonight and that it was ridiculous I haven't had it yet. Meanwhile, this on call shmuck congratulated me "on having every medical inducement possible!"

Two hours after she came back, I was rushed into the OR for an emergency c-section. His heart rate dropped really low. I know she rushed in along with the rest of the world it seemed and got in my face and said "we're having this baby now!" and flew me down the hall while there were code whites being called over the intercoms!

So well mine lasted 52 hours and I still wasn't even halfway there to pushing. But come to find out, he was stuck and there was no way he was going to be born naturally.

I don't want to freak you out or anything, but anything can happen. It can be super fast, or super crappy.

But I really can't wait to hear all about it, and I can't believe you're still home?!?! And I know that it is crazy up in Gardner, Fitchburg is bad. But you can stay at the hospital which is good! Be careful!!

Congrats Auntie!!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 8:20 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

My sis was induced with both her kids. The first one (my neice) is was induced at 8am and had her at 1pm. The second one--our little troublemaker--she was induced at 9am and had him at 3pm. They didn't want her to have him yet, said he was too small, under 5 pounds. YEAH RIGHT! When she threatend to cut him out herself (he was pressing on her back so hard it was bruised and her legs were numb!) they induced her. He was 7-8 pounds, I don't remember--but boy was he a BIG boy! His head was HUGE!
Good luck to Mommy! Enjoy becoming an Auntie--it's a blast! You can sugar them up, spoil them rotten, and then send them home!

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

... You can sugar them up, spoil them rotten, and then send them home!

Oh Care, its so true, spoiling them then sending them home....

Oh I want to be a Aunt again....sigh....next chance will to be a great aunt.....

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 2:01 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Psssh...9 pounds is NOTHING...my mom was almost 12 pounds when she was born, and my Nana had NO problem pushing her out (and by "no problem", I mean that she never even remembered giving birth to my mom, lol)

I was the runt of the family, weighing in at 9 pound 8 ounces...if I don't have a baby over 8 pounds, I will be shamed :P

Joking aside, that is pretty exciting. Everyone has a diferent experience with labour, and that includes induction. One of my friends just had some kinda gel inserted into her cervix, and she fully dialted within an hour! Another friend was induced early am, had to have her water broken by the doctor, and had her baby in the late afternoon.

I have heard that sometimes, induced labours can be a bit "harder" because they can make the contractions come on stronger and closer together than a normal labour...but that's what epidurals are for :P

I'm sure all will be fine and you'll be an auntie very soon! Wow!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Congrats Auntie Kelley!!!!

Keep the stories coming as I have to be induced when the time comes! I'm learning a lot!

preview image

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Congrats Aunt Kelley! I'm sure your SIL is so ready to have her baby!

My sister was induced with her first 2 years ago. My mom called me at 6 am saying they had given my sister a sleeping pill and were getting ready to induce her and she was at 1 cm. I said, "Fine, I'm sleeping. Call me when she's near 10" because I thought there was no point in waking me up and rushing over there to wait for hours. Well, about 7 I get "the call" she was already to 10! We rushed over there and she had my nephew a little after 8 that morning. So they can go fast!

Hopefully the little tyke is already born and you're enjoying being an aunt! It is a lot of fun, congrats again!

Also - I like how "cone head" is in the tags at the bottom. :)

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

When my daughter had my granddaughter she was induced on a Thursday night @ 6pm she didn't give birth till the next night on Friday night @ 5:45pm. And the Dr. had to do an emergency C-section. My daughter just wouldn't dialate. Here in Nevada there is a Law about how long labor can be. No longer than 48 hrs tops if no baby then they must take the baby buy C-Section.

I hope all goes will and baby is here soon, CONGRADULATIONS!

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Sounds like what they started was what is known as 'cervical ripening'. The cervix starts out think and firm. Needs to be softer and start the thinning process before it starts doing most of the opening/dialating.

They then start with pitocin - a medication that is a synthetic oxytocin. That brings on contractions. Contractions make the cervix finish thinning and opening.

Real basic explaination. If you have other questions I would be more than happy to answer them. What I do for a living is I am a Labor and Delivery nurse for almost 20 yrs. official title is Charge nurse as I run the unit at night - assignments, staffing, and any problem solving issues, along with being a resource to my staff and laboring patients myself

How long it takes depends on numerous factors. How ready, or ripe the cervix was, the position of the baby, strength of contractions etc....

CONGRATS on being a new Auntie!!!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hey Kelley,

I ahven't read to the end yet, and plus, you're probably at the hospital. But, I was induced with my son, my last one, and it was BY FAR the longest labor out of my 3. The girls were 5 hours and 3 hours respectively, and with Tyler it was 26 hours (after the point where the pitocin started, it was about 24 hours before then but that wasn't hideous, hellish, excruciating inhuman pain) induced and then a c section. He was 9 1/2 lbs, and then they had to do a c section anyway cause of how the cord was. The pitocin did not speed it up, but that could have been cause my body knew it wasn't right so wasn't cooperating. Don't know, but induced can be just like any other labor, except I hope they give her drugs cause they crank up that pitocin until the contractions never end. AT least, when I had tyler they did. I really, really hope it goes quick and smooth for her!!!! For me, my cervix did thin, lighten whatever, but I never dilated even WITH the pitocin beyond 4cm. It was hideous. :) I hope hers is better, plus, they use epidurals regularly now. HIGHLY opposed to them back when I had my kids. Idiots.

As far as cell phones, I've had them in before, and people film deliveries so I can't see the phone would be an issue. Just turn it on silent or vibrate.

May have other rules in ICU, but they try to keep labor/delivery area more homey feeling and less hospitaly. :) Have fun!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS AUNTIE KELLEY!!!!! HOW'D IT GO????

Edited by: cyndi33 on Jan 8, 2009 1:21 PM

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Ha Ha cyndi- you reminded me of the epidural with my daughter- when I had my son- no drugs- second time with daughter I said give me drugs- but when I was ready (8cm dialated-don't awnt to give it too soon or you'll slow the process down) the anesthesiologist was out to lunch and by the time he came back the baby was on her way out! Still no drugs!

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

Me and Puppy Love

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Congrats Auntie Kelley!

Can't wait to hear the story and hopefully see pictures :)

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 19, 2012 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 6734 is just $329.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine