We Just Got THE CALL...Question for Moms about Inducing Labor...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
We Just Got THE CALL...Question for Moms about Inducing Labor...
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:00 PM

Hey all. Some of you know our family has been waiting for the arival of my nephew. His duedate was Dec 28th,so sis in law is oboiusly pretty late. Well my brother and Jen had doc appt today and he just called us. Apparently the docs want to induce her Soon... as in... tonight... because they think the baby is at about 9 pounds and they need to get him out. So my brother and her are at the hospital and we are planning on going up there to wait it out with him ... keep him company...and be there when the little tyke is born.

Thehospital is about 45min from here and of course there was a major ice/snowstorm all over this area today lol. So my question is have any of you moms out there been induced? Whats it like? I know it brings on the labor but does it speed it up or can it /will it still take hours? We just want to have an idea of when to head up to the hospital . I know every labor is different, just want a general idea about inducing because Im clueless.

THANKS!!! IM SO HAPPY. I am finally going to meeet my nephew!!!

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Re: We Just Got THE CALL...Question for Moms about Inducing Labor...
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley,
I am not a mom, but know several people who were induced. Two of which still took hours! One was induced at like 630 in the morning and didn't have the baby til late that evening because they didn't want to have to break her water. They were hoping the inducing drugs would cause her water to break. So from the women I know, you should still have some time to get there!

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

Ok so basically it just brings/starts the labor and contractions,but it doesnt make it faster,right? Its so funny because my mom was induced but she claims she "doesnt remember." Im like - huh? You dont remember me being born, being in labor, etc? Shes like "it was a long time ago." lol. And my brother , a first time dad and clueless about babies, has NO idea what to tell us. He called from the hospital and said he would call us back when he knew more. We askd him if we should head up now or wait a few hours and he goes "ummm I dunno. Let me ask and call you back." lol. So we are a bunch of clueless people about to have a baby. lol.

Also - I know hospitals dont usually allow celllphones but what about digital cameras? Can i take pics of the baby, or us in the waiting room, stuff like that? Or is that not allowed?

I told you Im clueless.
Thanks Breann!!

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Congratulations on getting to be an Aunt! I was induced and it took 18 hours for my son to be born. So from my experience I would tell you that you have plenty of time, but that your bother would probably enjoy the company as soon as he can get it. The hospital I was at didn't have any restrictions on cameras or cell phones so you should be good!

preview photopreview image

preview image

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, I wasn't induced for either of my kids but from what I understand the labor will progress as any other labor could. Meaning it could take just a few short hours or it could take many hours. The stages of labor are still basically the same. God be with her if that baby's a 9 pounder!

I suggest you have your brother call when the contractions become very close together and she's nearly all the way dialated. What those numbers are I have no clue but he should be able to get an idea from her attending nurse.

Like I said though it still could take many hours or hopefully it'll be short as it was with both of mine - about 6 hours for my daughter and 5 hours for my son from the first contraction to them being born.

MrsLewis Posts : 325 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

When I had my little guy (okay, so he's four now....not so little) there were people with cellphones in the hall (my family/friends) and people were taking pictures everywhere. Waiting room, nursery, delivery room (just prior to his arrival, and after it was all over.....not during.....shudders...). I think you should be fine with your phone....depending on the rules, put it on silent, and I'm doubting you'll have any trouble. Cameras have always been a-okay as far as I know, and at every hospital I've been too. CONGRATS AUNTIE!!!!!

Daisypath Ticker 

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hm, I'm not a mom either, so I don't have the experience. But one of my friends had to be induced back in October and my cousin's fiance had to be induced just 2 weeks ago. Both were scheduled weeks in advance. Basically the Dr's told them, if you don't go into labor by X date, we have to induce you. And since the babies did not come out when the Dr's said they had to - the moms got induced.

Anywho...from my understanding of it, to induce labor is to start the process of labor. So like with any woman who naturally begins labor, the process could take as short as an hour or so to multiple hours. Both of the ones I know about were induced at about 7 or 8 in the morning, but the babies didn't come out until 2pm for my one friend and 530 ish pm for my cousin's fiance. So I don't think it changes anything about how fast the baby comes out.

You can definitely take pictures!! I brought my camera to visit my cousin when they had the baby. Course, I wasn't sure if it was technically allowed, but we did it anyway. :-P We were asked if we had any laptops though because for some reason those aren't allowed in the women and children wing of our hospital.

Ok, I got this picture from my cousin just this morning...it was the funniest thing I've seen today...

she's already a little gamer!! LOL...

Good Luck to your brother and mommy to be with your nephew!

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley I was induced. I got my IV and was given the Potocin at 11:30 pm and my daughter was born at 1:56 am. The people I know that have been induced have given birth within a few hours of getting the medicine so I would would probably start heading over to the hospital but take along some stuff to keep you occupied just in case.

Congrats on being an Auntie, and to the new parents and grandparents.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

wedding ticker

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thank you thank you thank you!!! To all of you!!!!
This is all good to know. We are waiting for a second call from my brother, but my understanding is that me my dad and mom, and Jens parents (my sister inlaw,the mom to be) are all heading over to the hospital within the next hour or two. I hope we dont miss anything!!! lol.

That picture is hysterical!!!

Yeah 9 pounds Lori lol. I konw- crazy right? Thats why they are inducing her tonight.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

UPDATE:

My brother just called and they havent induced her yet. The first round of meds or whatever its called lol, will be given around 6pm, so the docs told us we can come up sometime after about 6 or 7pm tonight. So looks like we will be spending the night in the hospital tonight.... my brother went back home to change clothes and pack a bag and all that,and then we are all going back to the hospital. (he only lives 5min away,we live 45.)

This is so exciting!:)

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:26 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

When I had my daughter they induced labor. It was faster and harder than my son's labor. (translation-hurt more) But in the end I was not nearly as exhausted as I had been the first time. From start to end was 5 hours. And I look great in the pics cause I had put makeup on. lol.

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

Obama Inaguration Day

Edited by: luvathena on Jan 7, 2009 4:27 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I have absolutely no idea, but I'm excited that things are moving forward! She must be excited to be so close to NOT being pregnant anymore! My SIL was pretty late, too, and all she wanted was to get that baby out!

Come to think of it, I'm fairly certain that SIL was induced. I'd have to ask her to know for sure, as I just can't remember....but her labor took more than 12 hours. I think it was more like 15.

Anyway, I'd head over now, but bring a book, just in case. I'm sure she'll appreciate some company, either way.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Congrats Auntie Kelley!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

That is so exciting Kelley! I can't wait to hear how she makes out. I hope it's quick for her. My first was 7lbs 9 oz. My second was 8lbs 11 oz. One would think a pound would not really make that much of a difference but I think that pound was all in my son's head and yes, it really made a difference. He was a cone head and we kept that little hat on him for days, lol.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Congratulations Kelley. Being an aunt is fun! I remember when my nephew was born (25 yrs ago!) he was so much fun to be with, play with, etc. I practically took him everywhere with me because my sister worked so much. I was more like his big sister than an aunt. It was sad when I graduated high school and had to leave him behind. I missed not getting to watch him go through his teenage years. Now I'm a great aunt several times over and never get to see any of them because I live so damned far away.

Boy did I digress..... sorry about that..... again, Congrats!!!

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine