My Silly Man

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
My Silly Man
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 1:26 PM

My BF and I have been together for over 4 years now. About a year ago, we got engaged, but he felt he was doing it for the wrong reasons. He felt as if he never wanted to lose me, but he was not ready for a wedding. His family and I didn't really get along, and he decided he wanted to go back to school, and didn't want to be planning a wedding with all the stress, so we ended up breaking off the engagement. Plus he was never really happy with the proposal itself, because it was so simple and put together last minute.

That all happened around Feb. I'm not quite sure what convinced him to tell me, but not only did he tell me he's ready to get married now (Which is awesome) but he also told me when he was originally planning to propose. (It ended up not happening because he had to go to work, he works on call for the railway.) He's still planning on going to school, but he feels confident in our relationship, and I get along with his family much better now.

I still have the old engagement ring from the last time (he ended up giving it to me in the summer as a promise ring) But I'm considering getting the diamond put into a new setting to save a lot of money, but still have a bit of a new ring because of the history of the old one. I've told him of this, and he really likes it, because he was considering getting me a whole new one, which would be too expensive, and the money would be better spent on the wedding or his education.

But now I'm driving myself nuts wondering when it will happen! I'm sure it will be soon, but that's all I know.

I just wanted a place to vent out, and hear other stories that may relate!
-------------------------------
"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: My Silly Man
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

I can't relate but you two will sure have a story to tell :) I hope he proposes (again) soon lol.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

Relax, it will happen don't make yourself nuts waiting. Everybody gets their knickers in a knot over something as simple as let's get married. That is basically all it is. No need for all the hoop-la. On 10/01/1997 my husband said what is your next free day? I said 10/23/1997 why? He said lets get married, I said okay and we did. No muss, no fuss, no big diamond ring. I wore a simple gold band for 5 years then he brought me a diamond ring. We recently renewed our vows so I got a new wedding set.

Anyway good luck with your waiting. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

wedding ticker

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thanks! My parents got married that way, and they've been super happy!

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 1:42 AM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

on pic you seeem very happy and in love, i wish you all the luck and happyness

I bought our rings @

AlmostMrsShelley Posts : 4 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:31 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

That is similar to what is happing with my FH and I. He bought me a aquamarine ring for Christmas and I wear it proudly on my left ring finger as a symbol to the world that we are getting married. However, I know how much he loves and how I don't need a diamond to prove it. I love my little ring and it fits our budget now perfectly! :) We both have college degrees to finish (an MA for him, a BA for me). Plus, we have tons of family and friends that we want to celebrate our happy day with! I am glad to know that this is more common than I thought! :D

-Elledragaled

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” -Audrey Hepburn

VivaLasVegasBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/9/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

I hope it happens soon for you! You have an amazing story, and I'm so glad that he was able to be ready to be married. I understand what you're saying about the ring, isn't it interesting that women are portrayed to be these money grubbers who are only after the rock, yet it's the men saying "but honey you can have a bigger ring!"

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 2:12 AM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

I know what you mean! I've met very few women that truly care a great deal about their rings, but the men almost see it as what I like to call "a giant penis contest". You know, just another competition between men to show off who has something bigger and better, you know?

One of our mutual friends says that Mike has a plan, so that works for me. She won't tell me what it is, and I'm glad for that. Although, she did tell me he's already bought what he needs, (whatever that may be) so I'm not going through ANY of his drawers right now, or cleaning out his pockets for laundry because I don't want to ruin the surprise!

Thanks for the luck and wishes, and I'll definatly keep you all posted! I'm going to the wedding show that's in town right now tomorrow with a friend in a similar situation (coincidentally the ame on that told me my BF had the plans in place now) so we can go and squee at wedding dresses and venus and such!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine