Any other ladies get to pick out their own ring?

Online Users: 1,321 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: Any other ladies get to pick out their own ring?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

What I did (call me crazy) was I made a spreadsheet with what I wanted for my ring. I'm a cutesy kind of girl, so I wanted a heart shaped center stone, with pink princess cut side stones. I did the shopping around for him and put links in for the best deals from reputable websites. I also included a picture of what I wanted, because I want a custom band. So now he has this reference sheet to go off of when he does his ring shopping (which won't be for another 3 years because of his doctorate program). So it'll be a surprise when I get it, but it'll also be what I want.

Although, at this point, I'd be happy even if there was no ring when he proposed. I'm just happy to be with him, and we could always get a ring later. But there's no rush, because I've still got 3 years left for my M.S. so I can wait for my e-ring! :)

digwriter Posts : 25 Registered: 12/19/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Yep. My guy and I have visited several stores. I've picked out three rings that I really like; however, I've left it up to him to choose from the three. That way I get the ring I want AND get to be surprised at the same time.

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Like Mrs. Williams, I did, but I didn't.
I didn't know if I wanted a marquise cut or a heart shaped ring.
He thought he found a ring I would love a dragged me to the store to see it. I did love it except it was a 2 crt marquise stone and my hands are small so it looked really silly. so with the sales lady he designed a new ring based off the one he found. I was there in the store until it came time to design the wedding band, then I was kicked out so that it would be a surprise. :) I love my set.
The day we bought the marquise ring he proposed to me with another ring, heart shaped. He said that he wanted me to be able to have both because I loved both types so much. I wore this ring until we got the marquise one in, than I wore that one. I still wear the heart ring all the time and it has such special meaning to me.
08-03diamondheartring.jpg picture by savex389
ring he proposed with but mine is in yellow gold

engagement ring that he designed

1785W-639.jpg picture by savex389

both of our rings. He was with me when I bought his ring because he's pickier than I am!

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

While I didn't go with DH to pick out my engagement ring, nor did I even know he was purchasing a ring at the thime, I did essentially pick it out. My mom was picking out her 25th anniversary ring set for my parents vow renewal and dragged me and one of my sisters with her. The jeweler (a close friend of my aunt and my mom) and my mom were asking me what I liked. Since my mom does ask for my opinion a lot I really just thought it was for her. We tried rings on me instead of my mom. Shoulda caught that one but didn't. Anyway, I picked out a cut I liked - since it was for my mom I was going with emerald cut (she has a lot of emerald cut stones) but they were like yeah but its not as shiny. So I said well if it was me, I'd get the square one. So then we talked about the band and I said I like solitaires and no gold. It's simple and elegant. And they were just like ooh ok... LOL yeah I really don't know how I didn't catch that.

Anyway, my mom emailed DH and told him my ring size and the cut and band, and threw in a reminder that I'm slightly allergic to some fake metals. DH went shopping on his own. (Took his mom once but I don't think she was with him when he made the decision) So he got nearly exactly what I liked - with one exeption...he thought the solitaire was too plain so he got one with sidestones. But he's pretty darn good at picking out jewelry I like so it turned out great. He had the option of buying the wedding band match to it also but he knew I'd love to go get it together (he was right). I love my rings.

here are our rings...

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine