Any other ladies get to pick out their own ring?

Online Users: 1,241 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 33

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Any other ladies get to pick out their own ring?
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 1:09 AM

Hey,

My guy and I have been talking about marriage for a long time. He doesn't believe in proposing with a surprise ring, because then a girl can end up with a ring that isn't their style, doesn't fit, or is allergic to. He believes in looking at rings together. Well right now I'm in the "browsing for rings" phase. I'm exited to get to choose my own ring, did any other girls get to choose their own rings, and can I see what ring you picked?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Any other ladies get to pick out their own ring?
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:59 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

We designed mine together. My finger is extremely small, so finding one 'in stock' was just not an option.

Your guy is smart -- at least I'd rather have one I helped with, because I do have particular taste in jewelry. A lot of gals would rather have a surprise by the guy.

Good luck and congrats!

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 8:28 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Dh and I picked out our rings together. We wanted a matcing set - engagement, his/her wedding bands. We recently replaced my engagement ring and his wedding band on our 25th wedding anniversary while in St Thomas. Long story but I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring a couple years ago. Instead of replacing the diamond we decided to replace the ring when we found one we liked which we happened to find while on our anniversary cruise. His wedding band needed to be cut off of his finger a few years ago and we had it fixed but it was thin and kept breaking at the point it was fixed. We found a band that he liked at the same place we found my ring. I still wear my original wedding band.

This is my new ring. So sad I can't find a pic of the old one.
HPIM1388.jpg picture by ACOrwell

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

My FH and decided to go ring shopping together so I can pick my own ring. He was so afraid that he would pick the wrong one. I told him over and over that no matter what he picked I would love. He wasn't satisfied lol, he was still worried that he would pick the "wrong" ring. I even gave him pictures of rings that I like and nope, he wanted to be 100% sure that I would like my ring and that he would pick the "right" one. Sooooo we decided to go to the mall and pick out a ring. After seeing a couple rings I fell in love with a heart shapped diamond! I always love heart rings and my promise ring was a heart so I picked this ring for my engagement ring:

I LOVE IT!!! He loves it too so it all worked out It also came with my wedding band. If you go and pick out a ring I recommend you get a set (the engagement ring AND the wedding band) It's much cheaper that way and you know for sure that it will fit and go along with your engagement ring.

RLM Posts : 27 Registered: 10/4/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Hi,

I picked out my rings. It was between a pear shape or princess cut. I decided on the princess cut. The center stone will be approximately 1.25 carats. My FH and I are using the same jeweler my dad purchased my mom's engagement ring and new diamond wedding band after 43 years of marriage.

Here's pictures of the rings.

wedding website

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

I indirectly picked mine out. My DH was told he had to take my cousin with him when he went shopping (something he was glad about, I guess if he really had a problem with it he didn't have to). When they made plans (in front of me, so I knew) to go look at rings together, I turned to my cousin and made plans to go with her two days before that. My cousin and I tried on all different rings and when I found a few i really loved, I told my cousin and the sales lady wrote it down. Two days later, my cousin and Nate when shopping and she had a great idea of what I wanted. Nate picked a ring, and when the sales lady went to check him out, she found out it was the exact ring I had picked as my #1 choice.

Always kiss me goodnight

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Dear Cass,

We went to the jewelry store together, with our $800 tax refund in hand, and picked out our rings. I did not have any particular preference, but after looking at various rings in our price range, I settled on the set I have today. With limited funds my husband wanted to get one "big" diamond rather than multiple small diamonds.

I got a half-caret diamond solitaire set on a gold band, with a matching plain gold band wedding ring. I like the fact that I don't need to solder the rings together. I can wear them separately, or with the engagement ring on top of the wedding band. The wedding band can spin around on my finger independently of the diamond ring and it looks fine.

I will offer the observation that if you get a ring that can spin around on your finger, you are less likely to wear out the back. My engagement ring back wears out, and I have to get it fixed about every ten years or so. The wedding band, uniform all around, is fine and has never needed any work. My husband's ring, simliarly a uniform all around band, is also fine.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Richard and I picked out our rings together. He wanted a plain white gold band with no diamonds. EASY. I had a 5 stone princess cut engagement ringt he proposed with but we both wanted to upgrade so about a year before we picked out my new e-ring and it's a round diamond w/ 5 round diamonds on each side and I also have a plain white gold wedding band. What sold me on my new e-ring was the setting. The prongs form hearts on either side of the solitare. I was born on Valentine's day and all of my tattoos are hearts so having hearts in my setting was was really sold me on it.

ring.jpg picture by jenny3_26_05
Not the best pic of it on my finger:
weddingring2.jpg picture by jenny3_26_05

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

Edited by: mrspinky on Jan 2, 2009 4:23 PM

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

I too, got to pick my own ring. At first it was supposed to be a browsing experience, to show him what I liked. Well enter saleswoman and we left with my ring on order, to be mailed to him. I wanted a heart-shaped solitaire and she said they were rare, she only had 2. The first would've killed someone, it was about 2 carats. Then she showed us a perfect 3/4 carat one--that's the one they set in white gold for me! It's colorless and flawless, and sparkles like you wouldn't believe! Best part? We paid $400 and it's appraised at $900 due to it's flawlessness. I don't have a good pic of it or I'd attach it!

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

My man and I went out to pick the ring. He seemed more excited about ring shopping then I did! So, he picked out the ring, I okay'd it. He's got good taste, I guess he just wanted to make sure I liked it. :P

Oh yea, I don't have a photo of it, but it's the round cut people's diamond that they use in almost every one on thier ads.

Here's a link (opens in a new window): http://peoples.celebrationdiamond.com/#collections/round/

"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."
Edited by: SanaChan on Jan 2, 2009 2:47 PM

Edited by: SanaChan on Jan 2, 2009 2:49 PM

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:13 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Thanks for sharing everyone. It's good to see everyones taste :) I'm thinking non-diamond for mine. It's not that I don't like them, I just think the money could be better spent. And diamonds are my birthstone, so I already have diamonds that I've been given as birthday gifts from my family. If this ring would have been my first diamond maybe I would feel differently.

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

I picked out my ring, too. I had something pretty particular in mind and FH had it made for me.
Ring01.jpg My engagement ring! image by druidgoddess1
It's a sapphire with a white gold band.

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Oh, I really like that one Heidi!

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

I picked mine out. I wanted something heart shaped too but we looked at every known store in the mall (didn't want it at a small place just in case..) and I didn't find any I liked that were heart shaped. So we went back to the very first store and got the first ring I liked. lol
My FH and I both hate shopping so it was a quick and painless thing. The sales women kept trying to pull out rings and we'd say nah.. lol I wanted something small but not a solitare. I work with my hands way too much to have something big or something that set up too high.
/images/products/9905/990544708_MV_TB.jpg

/images/products/9905/990544708_MV_TB.jpg

I love it :) It's never in the way at work and i'm able to pull on my motorcycle gloves without issue.
I'm sure i'll "upgrade" at our like 5 year anniv. and hopefully then i'll find that perfect heart ring. I LOVE my moms other than it's yellow gold but my dad and her are divorced and that just seems odd.. lol

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Jnham13 Posts : 5 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

My fiance and I were hanging out one day (before we were engaged!) and he saw a ring on an ad and said that's awesome. I said errrr...no way! It was the most hideous rings I have ever seen so at that point we realized that he had no taste in rings. It was actually his idea to go look at rings at a local store. So when we went I got to pick out the ring I really liked. A year and a half later I'm wearing the same ring we picked out that day! I think picking it out is the best idea because then you get to chose what you like and see how it will look on your finger. Everyone said "boy he did a great job!" and I have been letting him gloat in his glory for picking out such a great ring but all in all we picked it out together!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine