Waiting...

Online Users: 1,306 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

concon Posts : 4 Registered: 12/26/08
Waiting...
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 1:19 AM

My bf went the traditional route and asked my father for my hand in marriage (he said yes) and he even has the ring. Now I am just waiting...He told me he wouldn't propose this year, however, this year ends this week and I leave on the 1st for a family vacation (he is not coming) for ten days. I have a slight suspicision that he might fly in and surprise me. But then again, that may just be my wishful thinking. Is it horrible that I read into everything now and wonder if "this is when he will propose?" Are there any ideas to keep my mind pre-occupied so I am not constantly trying to figure out when he will propose?!?! I want it to be a surprise!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: Waiting...
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 1:50 AM Go to message in response to: concon

I have definitely been in your shoes! My FH told me when he bought the ring, then when he asked my dad for permission. It drove me nuts. At the time, I was so consumed with the thought of getting engaged. I definitely did not talk to my FH about it at all. I didn't want to put pressure on him and I wanted him to do it on his own terms. Every few weeks I would break down and cry and he would tell me it will happen when it happens. Everyday I woke up I was convinced that it was the day. Looking back I wish someone would have told me this. What is the rush? You knwo you are going to get engaged and then married. Why does it have to happen today or tomorrow? I would find some kind of craft or sport to do to keep you occupied. I made plans with all of my girlfriends to keep my mind off of things. Just remember you have a man that loves you enough to want to marry you. The rest will happen when he is ready. I would not talk to him at all about it! Good luck girl! Try to find some girls on here that are also in the waiting phase. There was a group that I chatted with and it really helped me and the the other girls!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

SoonToBeAWard Posts : 280 Registered: 5/22/06
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 2:02 AM Go to message in response to: concon

First of all, I think that it's really nice that your boyfriend has asked your dad. I always told my husband that he had to run it by my dad first before proposing to me and he did. Only thing is, he asked my dad in April and didn't propose to me until October of that year!

Like you, I knew the proposal was coming sooner or later, I knew he had ordered a ring but I just had to be patient. For 10 months there were plenty of times when I thought he might ask - my birthday, weekends away, holidays. Eventually I just though it'll happen when it happens, and it did!

If you're going to be on vacation, I'm sure you'll be busy with family so hopefully that keeps you occupied. Take a good book or maybe some DVDs. Just don't be disappointed in him if he doesn't fly in on your vacation as I'm sure he will come up with something else just as romantic later on. He has asked your dad, he's got the ring ... it's going to happen. Hang in there!

:: Lisa x ::

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: concon

Several women have been in your shoes, myself included! Word from the wise, chill out and don't let it ruin your happiness for now. Like someone previously said, you know it's going to happen and you know you're going to get married, so try to not let it consume your mind everytime you guys go out or something. And please don't get your hopes up that he will come on the trip and surprise you. I would hate for your feelings to be let down. I know, I've been there. I promise you it will be worth the wait!

Good luck!!!

preview image

concon Posts : 4 Registered: 12/26/08
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: concon

update!

so my bf flew to Hawaii and totally surprised me! My sister and I were walking on the beach when we decided to take some pictures. She was going to take a picture of me when I saw someone behind me. I couldn't figure out who it was and then it suddenly hit me, it was my bf! He said that he had something for me and gave me a cheap cloth lei (which is an iside joke) and then said he had something else for me- He got down on one knee and proposed :) My whole family was watching from the balcony-it was perfect!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: concon

congrats and how sweet is that!

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: concon

Congrats girl!!! That was so sweet of him! Post some pics of the ring!!!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

MrsJohnson2010 Posts : 37 Registered: 1/4/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: concon

Wow, that was such an awesome proposal!! Congratulations on your engagement! Sounds like your instincts were dead on. :)
When is my wedding

Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine