bridesmaid dresses

Online Users: 1,289 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Candie0354 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/26/08
bridesmaid dresses
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:05 AM

For my bridesmaids dresses I was thinking about letting them choose the style of their dress as long as the color, material and lenght were the same. Any opinions?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: bridesmaid dresses
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Candie0354

Dear Candie,

YES YES YES. GO FOR IT.

I love going to weddings where there is some individuality in the bridesmaid dresses. It's hard to find one dress that fits the different body types of a bunch of women. The dress that look fabulous on the tall thin woman might look horrible on the short busty woman.

I've said it before: The typical wedding with identical dresses looks, to me, like a Rockettes dance line. I find it much more interesting when there is a variety of dresses and colors.

Note: There's nothing wrong with identical dresses. Lots of brides do just that, and it's totally OK. Individual dresses is a personal preference of mine.

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Candie0354

I did something similar. I gave them a designer and a color and let them pick whatever they liked.
Here's how it came out, I think it's great!!!
They will all be in this blue color.

preview image

RFenech Posts : 30 Registered: 11/30/08
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Candie0354

It's a good idea as most girls don't all have the same body type and would feel more comfortable in a dress with straps or an a-line skirt. I think you should select a designer you like and have them selelct the style. This way you know for certain the the colors will match and preferably come from the same dye lot....remember to request that the dresses be maid from the same dye lot and to order them at the same time to ensure this. However, individuality is wonderful but remember you are the one that needs to stand out in the pictures so the more similar everyone else is the better this will be accomplished. Everyone should compliment you and your style not stand out from it. Good luck.

Rachel Fenech
www.sflweddings.com
Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.

Franklin P. Jones

Paia Posts : 2 Registered: 1/29/09
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: Candie0354

My sister did this for her wedding and it worked out just fine. If you are worried, you might like to go shopping with your bridesmaids and influence their choices, or just request to see the dress a couple months before the wedding in case they need to change it. As long as your girls are respectful of your guidelines, there should be no trouble.

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Candie0354

I'm going even further than that. I have four in my bridal party(three bridesmaids and one MOH) so I'm giving them each a season of the year. Then they get to choose the style and the color(within reason of course) that they feel best represents the season. Not only do I think this will be pretty and unique, but also pragmatic since I'm not asking them to buy $150+ dresses. So I say go for it!

I have also noticed if all the BM's are wearing the same color you tend not to see their faces as much as the dresses. Not that there's anything wrong with them all wearing the same color. It's just something I noticed.

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

Wow! I absolutely LOVE that idea! What a great concept and during these times of economical stress, a practical one at that!

So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day.

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

I did this for my wedding and it worked out perfectly. My girls were all different sizes and ages. They were able to pick a dress that was comfortable, flattering and afordable. I got more compliments on the way it all came together! I just gave the girls a color and designer and they had free reign. I can't post photos but can give you the picture website if your interested. Good luck and happy planning!
wedding ticker for myspace

MrsSmith62610 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: MrsPaul

I say go for it!!! I am actually planning to do the same thing for my BMs as well, but I am not giving them choices and letting them pick on their own. I am doing this because I want my friends to have a dress that they like, fits their body type, and can possibly use in the future. The only thing I have told them is that it has to be platinum in color and tea length.We are all planning on meeting in June to go dress shopping so that I can see their choices and give the ok. I did this because I currently have 5 dress that I paid over $200 for that are useless to me! I can't even fit them anymore thanks to the wonderful thing called metabolism!

Its a great idea, so run with it!! Good luck

FutureMrsSmith10

littl3m1ss Posts : 12 Registered: 1/18/09
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsSmith62610

its an awesome idea. im doing the same thing with my bridesmaids. you wanna make them feel comfterable. my best friend got married in october and the dresses she picked out for us were almost identical to her dress but not white. the seperates dresses are also nice because the skirts can be different lengths but they all look the same, the tops are the same way. some strapless, some halter, thin straps, thick straps, but in the end they all are the same style material but the girls have the option to choose what they feel good in.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: littl3m1ss

It's a great idea. I was in a wedding where the bride did that, except that she didn't even have a length requirement. She just told us to get the same color--style and length were up to us.

I have to say that even with different lengths (two of us did knee-length, one did mid-calf, one did full-length) we looked good. I recommend! Your BMs will thank you later.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

It's a great idea!

The only thing to consider is this: what if, say, all of your bridesmaids end up liking the same dress, but the other likes a different one? Is that okay with you? To have everyone matching except one person? I personally think it's fine, but that has bothered some of my friends who did this, so just think about that ahead of time.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine