how to start ring shopping

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 9

ecnusbau Posts : 12 Registered: 12/18/08
how to start ring shopping
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 12:51 AM

Hey All,

How do I go about beginning my ring search at jewelers? I'm afraid the stores' sales people will think I'm wasting their time if I go by myself. I expect to be engaged next year and want to give my boyfriend some ideas for a great ring, so how do I get started? Do I need to make an appointment? What will the stores expect of me? Thanks for your experience...

Edited by: ecnusbau on Dec 21, 2008 12:52 AM

jloveland Posts : 33 Registered: 12/18/08
Re: how to start ring shopping
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 2:53 AM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

You aren't wasting their time, you're a potential buyer so they need to show you that same respect. If you don't feel respected then leave asap. Just tell them ahead of time that you are just browsing for some ideas as to what you want and see if they can show you a few different cuts. Google the 4 c's of diamonds and make sure your man knows about it so you won't be taken advantage of.

Good Luck.

Future Mrs. Salinas!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

Dear EC,

I think one of the first things you need to do is think about what kinds of rings you want to wear.

Do you want a matched set? That would be a wedding and engagement ring worn together on one finger.

Or, do you want to wear the engagement ring on your right hand and your wedding ring on the left?

Do you prefer one large diamond, or lots of smaller diamonds?

There are plusses and minuses to different combinations. With a matched set, for example, you can wear another ring on your right hand. Some matched sets can be separated, so the wedding ring can be worn alone, some cannot. Some matched sets need to be soldered together so they spin around on your finger together, and are always lined up.

Ask your friend what they have and why they like their choices.

ecnusbau Posts : 12 Registered: 12/18/08
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks guys, very helpful. I've read about the four c's and all, but it's hard to put a picture to those concepts without going to the jewelry store and seeing what the random letters and what not actually look like.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

You probably won't need an appointment unless it's a very small store. And really, it's OK to go browse.

I agree with the PPs who said to educate yourself first, because it seems like all jewelers (the ones I went to, anyway) have a tendency to say, no matter which ring you look at "Ooohh, that one's my FAVORITE" when they're showing it to you. Whatever. Plus the lighting in the jewelers will make the diamonds look beautiful & sparkly no matter what quality they are, so that's why knowing the 4 Cs before you go in will especially help since you want the ring to look sparkly after you leave the store, too!

As Aunt suggested, definitely ask your friends, if any are married or engaged, about their rings, why they like them, what they would change, etc. I learned a lot from that. Also, just take a look online at different ring styles online if you haven't already. That way you'll know whether you want to look at solitaires, past-present-future rings, etc.

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Plus the lighting in the jewelers will make the diamonds look beautiful
& sparkly no matter what quality they are, so that's why knowing
the 4 Cs before you go in will especially help since you want the ring
to look sparkly after you leave the store, too!

{color:#000000}{color:#000000}Very true! You can also ask the salesperson to let you look at the diamond under the magnifier. That way you can see if there are any spots. Especially at chain-type stores (in the mall), there can be a wide variation of quality in diamonds of the same size and pricepoint. Say you wanted to buy a 1/2 carat solitaire, for instance, and they cost $1,000 (I'm making this up)... you could look at 5 different ones and they might have varying degrees of color and clarity.

Also, certified diamonds are not necessarily any better than the cheaper, non-certified variety. You pay extra for those because it has been given an official rating. So you could pay more for a diamond that is certfied but lower quality than a non-certified diamond of higher quality.

{color:#000000}

{color}
Edited by: HLYflute on Dec 27, 2008 9:16 PM

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 1:20 AM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

Just go browsing. Walk into a lot of jewelery stores-- the upscale ones, the chains at the mall, the locally owned shop downtown and everything in between. Just look at all the jewelery, ask a lot of questions, and you'll begin to get an idea of what you want.

If it still sounds intimidating, take a friend to look with you. Or, check out the thousands of websites online selling engagement rings to see all the varieties. The possibilities are endless. Have fun!

RLM Posts : 27 Registered: 10/4/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

You won't be wasting your time by perusing the stores. I would recommend having an idea of what setting you want and the shape of the diamond (but who says it has to be a diamond) you just have to have. There are tons of jewelry websites you can checkout. See what you like, then hit stores. I happen to love pear and princess shaped stones. I did my homework on diamonds (the 4C's) and when I went to the jeweler I was specific in what type of diamond I wanted (clarity, color, carat, cut and believe or not the table size of diamond). I know the jeweler probably was thinking, "this woman is out of her mind". Your boyfriend should definitely have a budget in mind; but not necessarily share it with the salesperson (that's your bargaining power). Check out this website, I found it really helpful http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/. Best of luck and happy hunting.

a wedding website

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: RLM

I don't have a ring yet either and FH and I are in a long distance relationship, so right now when I am shopping at a mall or downtown, sometimes I will stop into a jewellery store and check it out. I am young, soon to be 20...and my god the looks I get are brutal sometime...as if I am some young girl wasting there time as she tries to dream about her wedding. Quite frankly, those people just won't get my business. If you go in with a slight idea of what you want and seem at least a little educated...kno some basic terms...then they will take you more seriously.

If you go in and just look at engagement rings and are very shy about it...they will be more skeptical about how genuine you are about potentially buying one in the near future.

If you go in and be like "Hi, I am looking for engagement rings and I am interested in rings with pave diamonds but I am open to other suggestions" they will be more into helping you.

IdealD Posts : 3 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hi Newbie here,

Definately get a little diamond education first. This can be done in your armchair on the internet. Puts you in a non sales environment and you won't be overwhelmed and have the sales pitch at the same time.

Decide what shape you would like. Optically, a well cut round shape will perform the best. You may not want a round but thats something to keep in mind.

You could then go into the stores and ask them to show you differences in cut, color, carat weight and clarity and decide what you combinations you are happy with.

I have linked you to a few sites that have similar content on learning about the 4cs.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_about/
http://www.jamesallen.com/education/
http://goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

IdealD

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine