Engagement ring I want is a tricky shape to match a band with...

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

scarrlet Posts : 2 Registered: 9/23/07
Engagement ring I want is a tricky shape to match a band with...
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 7:09 PM

My bf and I just went shopping for engagement rings (so exciting!), and the one I think we like the best has an emerald cut diamond ringed with more tiny diamonds, which gives it the basic shape of a thin band with a rectangular box in the middle. It is gorgeous and very "me", but I'm worried about matching it with a wedding band, especially since we were thinking about getting matching Celtic wedding bands (we're a bagpiping Scottish couple, no joke). Is this something that's going to turn out to be a big pain in the butt? I was even thinking about wearing my engagement ring on my right hand after the wedding, and the wedding band by itself on my left hand. Does anyone have any thoughts about what I could/should do in this situation? I really like this ring, but if it's going to turn out to be a big problem, well.....

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Re: Engagement ring I want is a tricky shape to match a band with...
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: scarrlet

I would ask your jeweler.... they should have some bands that would go with that. But if you're worried about your traditional band working withyour e-ring, bring that up with your jeweler. I know they can be creative and crafty and may have suggestions for you. If the two just won't go, wearing your band on your wedding finger and your e-ring on your right hand is not a bad idea. I don't know if there's etiquette to that, but hey, it's your ring, you should be able to do what you want right?!
In any case, isn't it so exciting to be shopping for THE ring!? So fun!!! Congrats!

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 1:08 AM Go to message in response to: scarrlet

I would probably wear the e-ring on the right hand after the wedding. Then, you'll still have two very beutiful rings, without them competing with each other. Just keep in mind your e-ring may need to be resized a second time after the weddign because often both ring fingers are slightly different sizes.
"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

atcwag Posts : 2 Registered: 11/24/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 2:37 AM Go to message in response to: scarrlet

Definitely talk to the jeweler at the place that has your engagement ring and/or a few jewelers that carry the celtic rings you have in mind. Unfortunately, that ring seems hard to find a band to match....especially a non-traditional wedding band. Good news however...a GOOD jeweler should be able to take a band you pick and make it work. This may mean cutting out a portion of the band so that the band fits around the center stone of the engagement ring. Good luck!

RLM Posts : 27 Registered: 10/4/08
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: scarrlet

Scarrlet,

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. The engagment ring and wedding band I picked out have wide bands. I happen to have somewhat small hands. So I told my FH that I'm not going to be able to wear both rings on the same finger, it would butt up against my knuckle (not a very comfortable feeling). My engagement ring is being sized to wear on my right hand (.5 larger). Needless to say his comment was, "You'll wear both on your wedding finger, comfortable or not!" All that being said, you can definitely wear your engagement ring on your right hand after you're married. That's what I'm going to do.

Edited by: RLM on Nov 28, 2008 8:53 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: scarrlet

In my experience, Celtic rings are a pain in the butt to match with ANYTHING. It's hard to find a Celtic wedding band that is less than 5mm thick, and that wide of a ring looks a little weird with ANY engagement ring, in my opinion. We were also going to get matching Celtic rings, but I gave up on finding one that wouldn't look stupid with my e-ring...and I have a basic solitaire that you'd think would go with everything! We ended up nixing the matching rings idea. DH still got a Celtic ring, but I picked a simple diamond wedding band that went well with my e-ring.

Here's my advice, and I'll offer several options:
1) Skip the matching rings idea, like we did. He can still get the Celtic band, and you can get a custom-made wedding band that will fit well with your e-ring.
2) Do like you said, and wear your e-ring on your right hand after you're married.
3) Just pick a different e-ring. Perhaps you can choose your wedding bands FIRST, and then find an e-ring that will go nicely with the wedding band you like. If you're interested, there are some BEAUTIFUL Celtic engagement rings available online (google 'Celtic engagement rings') If I could have chosen my own e-ring, that's what I would have picked, but c'est la vie!

Basically, if you don't think the e-ring and wedding band will go well together, you need to decide which one is most important. Once you've made that decision, choose the other ring to match.

By the way, is your FH planning to wear a kilt for your wedding? DH and our GM did and they looked GREAT - I love a man in a kilt! If it's the tartan he's wearing in your profile photo, that's a great one! We had a HELL of a time finding a nice color for the BMs to wear that would compliment the guys' tartans without being hooker-red! (They wore the Royal Stuart, but I didn't want the girls in red!) Hopefully you won't have that problem with yours!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine