THE MOVIE THREAD ( Fav quotes, Reviews, discussions, etc...)

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 265

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Re: THE MOVIE THREAD (favorite quotes, Reviews, discussions,etc...)
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Isn't it Religulous, not Religilous?  It's playing at the indy theatre by me, but I'm a bit afraid to go see it - I'm afraid it would piss me off too much.  This morning DH was flipping through and there was a televangelist on, and watching all the idiots ogling up at him on tv made me a little nauseous.  Then he started talking about being pro-life (which in and of itself is fine with me, though it's not my personal belief), and his rationale was that abortions are to blame for the financial crisis because all those children who were not born as the result of abortions are not alive to pay social security.  IDIOTIC.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

Isn't it Religulous, not Religilous.

Probably. Im most likely just spelling it wrong.

I dont know if the movie would piss you off. It didnt piss me off - just made me think and was very interesting. There weere parts that saddened me or frightened me more than angered me. But its also a hilarious movie too.

Hey did you enjoy my nine page answer to your question about EXTRA work in films? LOL.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

haha - I did, it was very interesting!  I don't know why I always just assumed that extras were pulled off the street for movies, I never realized they are paid actors with agents and the full 9 yards just like principle roles.

I looked it up, it is Religulous, not Religilous.  I do think it would make me too angry/sad to see it - even the preview pissed me off!  Anything where people just blindly believe anything they're told like lemmings makes me angry - not just religion.  I have no problem with people who have thought about it and have faith as a conscious choice, I think that's really great.  It's when people are over-indoctrinated like a cult that really gets me, especially when it's kids.

My MOH actually does this with politics, and it pisses me off.  She just met all these new people who are hard core libertarians, and she believes everything they tell her without even bothering to think about whether it makes sense or not.  They got her all roped into the tax protester arguments (people who think the income tax is unconstiutional and that they don't have to pay it), which have absolutely no validity whatsoever, and I swear the girl was on the verge of not paying her income taxes last year!  Ugh, I just don't understand why intelligent people just don't think sometimes.

But with respect to movies all of this is largely irrelevant.....  Right now I am watching center stage, which is an AWFUL movie but I secretly love it because I used to be a dancer :)

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

What kind of dancer were you? Thats awesome. Did you ever see the movie White Knights? With Baryshnikov? Great movie. At least I thought so. Also really enjoyed Strictly Ballroom. Just trying to think of some good dance films.

Yeah the world of acting and films is so annoying. They make things WAY too complicated really. Drives me nuts sometimes.

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I did ballet, pointe and modern.  I LOVE White Nights - and it's one of the few dance movies that FH will actually watch with me.  He had a soccer game this afternoon, and of course center stage was IMMEDIATELY swapped for football, but he did let me watch the big dance number at the end because he loves the michael jackson song!

There aren't very many good dance movies.  The problem is that most dancers can't act, so the movies that have great dancing tend to have AWFUL acting, at least by the dancers, like center stage and the turning point. The ones with marginally better actors tend to have the worst dancing, like that awful Julia Stiles movie where she's auditioning for Julliard (I'm blanking on the name).  I of course also love dirty dancing and flashdance :)

Amy - I actually went to a wedding last year where they did your movie idea.  Here are a few ideas you could potentially steal :) On their wedding website, instead of having the normal guest book where you send well wishes to the bride, they had people write their favorite romantic movie quote.  Instead of what you're doing with the movie tables, and kisses, they actually had their DJ play 90% songs that are identifiable from movies, and when anyone yelled out the movie name they would kiss.  It was fun and kept people interacting with the music for a while, but I think the bride and groom were annoyed by it at the end!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I enjoyed your  dissertation on extras.  Around here, we do (freakishly enough) get quite a bit of extra work.  Here being Montgomery Alabama.   The biggest thing done here was Big Fish (and practically everyone I know was in that thing.)

On a completely unrelated note:  I am SICK OF LEAVES.   (I'm decorating our reception like Midsummer Nights Dream or something stupid like that.... and have string lights, which we'll be tying leaves to.  Right now: I'm tying the leaves to the strings.  Yes, it will look nice, but it's annoying me right now!)

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

FMM, you have to go see Religulous (I probably spelled it wrong earlier too).  It may make you angry, just because people are ignorant and stupid, but it's also hilarious. 

Kelley, I did hear about the back story behind Changeling, which makes the story just so much more intriguing.  I love Angelina Jolie anyways. I think she's such an underrated actress.  I loved her performance in Girl Interrupted.

I actually heard W wasn't all that great of a movie (from a lot of different movie critics). It had a lot of potential, but the script just went by the wayside.  I think I might just wait to rent this one.

Photobucket

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

Kitty, I guess what Im asking about Changeling is WHAT IS THE STORY? I know the premise, Im asking WHY? Why didnt these people want this woman to get her child back? Thats the part I have no clue about, but Im very curious. Yeah Im undecided about seeing W too. Thats what I hate about hearing reviews before I see something on my own.

MrsHF Posts : 368 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

So many movies that I love and haven't seen forever!  In no particular order from those listed above - White Nights, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Shawshank Redemption, Rain Man, The Princess Bride (I will watch it every time it's on TV), The King & I (Yule Brenner version), any Michael Moore movie, and FutureMrsM - I loved My Life as a House, you are not the only one to have seen it LOL.  I must admit that I'd never heard of Religulous, but I'd like to see it. 

I tend to gravitate towards frivolous stupid movies and my all-time favorite stupid movie is Zoolander - rather embarrasing to admit, but it is sooo rediculous that I can't help myself.  When he talks about the you-googly and being the you-googlizer, cracks me up every time.  I think my mom & I were the only 2 people in the theatre to laugh at that joke.  And that is why my brain has turned to mush. LOL

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: MrsHF

MrsF are you kidding me? I loooove Zoolander!!! Listen, yes its silly but its GENIUS silly. There is genius/smart silly comedy and then just stupid /unintelligently written comedy. Zoolander is the first kind. As is Anchorman, Airplane, Naked Gun, and all the Seth Rogan movies.

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I love love LOVE movies!!!!!  I used to want to be an actress, but then I discovered classical music.  Not that I'll make it as a singer, either, but hey.  My all time faves are the LOTR trilogy.  I've read the books about 50 times, and the movies were so well done.  I just saw 1408 on friday and I liked it a lot.  But then, I'm a sucker for pretty much anything John Cusack.  I also love the Princess Bride.  It was one of the few times when I thought the movie was better than the book.  I really want to see Religulous.  I saw Bill Maher talking about it and the premise sounds fantastic.  Some of my favorites are just silly...I also have a weird fascination with Center Stage and I haven't taken dance since I was 7.  Maybe it's the cute boys in tights.  I also love the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice.  All 6 hours of it.  Every winter my mom and I have a marathon where we watch it and embroider together, LOL. 

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hey Kelly- I saw Changeling this weekend...really intense, but a good movie. The LAPD were very corrupt and wanted to a "good" story about how they actually solved a case, so when the kid turned out to be the wrong kid (he wanted to go to Hollywood), they didn't want to be embarrassed by it, so refused to believe the kid was the wrong one, and when she kept insisting they threw her into the psycho ward where they kept all non-compliant females who were bad mouthing LAPD-that in itself is a fascinating story. The Capt, had this incredible power to do this without judicial review.

In the movie, when the boy turned out to be one that was identified as one that was taken to a ranch and probably murdered by this serial killer, the Pres. Minister who was on the LAPD's case had a Judge sign a release for her. It's a good illustration of how absolute power corrupts. I believe the real story is that the other boy admits he lied after 10 days and she was released.

I found the movie a little too intense for me in a couple of scenes- when the boys are murdered and when the killer is hung. Groan. My step-daughter was really upset by the movie- couldn't sleep.

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Luva that does sound really intense. Wow. Thanks for explaining it for me though. Is Angelina good in it? I heard she is great. I hope the story ends well at least and she gets her kid back. Ihave no clue how it ends. When you say the boys are murdered, which boys? Her boy? I cant sit through movies with too much violence on kids and women, so maybe I wont go. Grrr... If she never gets her child back I might have to skip it, because that would be TOO sad for me LOL.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

ALERT:For those who don't want to kow the ending of Changeling skip this...

her boy doesn't come back to her, but she has hope that he escaped. The history is that up to 20 boys might have been murdered by this maniac. One night all the boys being held at that time were able to break out and ran away but he evidently rounded up most of them. One got away and hid for a few years in another town. He finally turned himself in becuase he missed his parents. He was terrified of the murderer, and afraid he would get in trouble if he was the only one who got away- that'w why he hid for a few years. Anyway, it gives them hope that her son may have gotten away also and remained in hiding. I would rent it so I could skip through a couple of scenes. One involves the boys dying. I wanted to run and throw up.

Angelina did a great job in this role. She is so darn skinny. And the wig was wierd- my only complaint. The best actor was the guy who played the murderer.

Hey I saw "W" and it was ok. It made me sad to see how easily manipulated he was by everyone. God- I HATE Karl Rove!!!

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

So these are my fav's.

Spaceballs! (I cold watch this flic a thousand times!)

LOTR series (I was the only parent I knew who read these to my little kids for bed time stories! And here is my silly admission that at one time I wanted to name my son Aragorn)

Indiana Jones (named my dog Indy after the first movie)

When Harry met Sally

Boys on the Side

Classics: Gone with the Wind (I've gotten by many a tough day with the theory "I'll deal with that tomorrow- tomorrow's another day); African Queen; Almost any classical musical.

I used to be an actress also! Decided it wasn't a stable life style to raise kids in and switched to psych and then law.

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine