What's in a Name?

Online Users: 1,359 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 36

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Re: What's in a Name?
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I haven't entirely decided yet.  It's not that I hate his last name, it just sounds weird with my first name.  My parents put a lot of thought into my name and it just flows.  When you put it with his...not so much.  Plus, his parents hate me and I don't really want to have the same last name as them.  I'm actually trying to talk him into taking my last name, and he's actually thinking about it!  So we'll see.  If I keep my maiden name, I wouldn't be upset if someone called me Mrs. So and so.  I don't really like hyphenating.  But I have 11 months to figure this all out!

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

I've never been nuts about the idea of being a Mrs. I don't know why. It  just sounds "old" to me. But I can't wait to be his Mrs. I know that makes no sense, but I usually don't lol. I do want his last name. it's a lot shorter than mine and a lot easier to spell. I'm so tired of saying my name over the home and hearing "HUH??" So that part will be nice.

Message was edited by: ciscokid

LadyE2010 Posts : 83 Registered: 10/30/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

I can't wait to be married, but I am sorry I am losing my last name.  I love it and have never met anyone outside our family with it.  His last name on the other hand is really popular in our area.  I will most likely end up hyphenating (since I can't bear to part with my middle name) but the kids will probably end up having his last name since it would be mean to hyphenate their last name and make it 17 letters long.

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I'm established in my profession, but proud to be a part of something new.  I kept all my names and added his (no hyphen though).

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

I am a Ms. I decided to start using Ms. when I was 20 and will keep using it until the end. I have nothing against Mrs., I just don't think my marital status should be that relevant.

As far as the last name goes I did take husbands name for a couple of reasons. One I am estranged from my father and didn't really want to keep his name and two my married name is the same as my mom's maiden name which she went back to.

So my mom was Miss J, then married and became Mrs. P

I was born Tanis P

My mom divorced and became Barb J

I got married and became Tanis J!

My grandpa is quite thrilled by all this except he is 93 and quite senile and his version of how I became a J again doesn't always involve a husband!

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

As you can probably tell from my ticker, I will be changing my last name.  It's going to be so weird because I have an Irish first name and last name and I'm so used to having a really irish name.  It'll have to take a lot of getting used to having such an Italian last name. (Going from Walsh to DiMaggio)  I am actually excited about it though.

wedding count down

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 12:04 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Tanis, that's such a cool story.  I too use a Ms. and not a Mrs. for the very same reason as you. 

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: TattooedStarlit

Heidibride, that's so cool that you two are considering a role reversal with the name thing!

I didn't want to take my husband's name on principal because of the history behind why it's done. But I'm not in love with the last name I was born with, PLUS both my first and last name are difficult for people to pronounce and spell. DH's last name, on the other hand, is common, easy to spell and sounds much better with my first name than my original last name.

So I agonized over the decision, but in the end I changed my name. I never considered hyphenating an option for us b/c both our last names are too long for that.

Uzuri Posts : 99 Registered: 6/26/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 12:25 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I have mixed emotions about keeping my maiden name, and in my situation, I do not think I should hyphenate it.

I am basically the only one left to carry on my last name, Green. So for that reason, I want to keep it. My FH's last name is Brown. So no matter what I will be a color. LOL (Since I am switching colors, I am starting to be referred to as Crayola by some family and friends...LOL)

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 12:59 AM Go to message in response to: Uzuri

It would be awesome if you changed your name to Crayola.

Or maybe Burnt Sienna.

NotOfThisWorld Posts : 153 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 1:53 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I'm going from Christine Njagi (pronounced jaahgeee) to Christine Cortes. my current last name is Kenyan and i have a younger sister and 2 younger brothers that can carry the name on. if i was an only child, i'd hyphenate it. i cant wait to be Mrs. Cortes!

ilove.gif picture by Khrystyne

USMC Fiancee

(I can legally mess with government property:)

Surviving our first deployment

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 5:33 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

nanette-

I think it's wonderful that your husband is adopting your 16 year old. There's nothing like making your child feel loved in spite of the real father's actions/non-actions... I was thinking about adopting my Stepson. His Mom passed away in 2004. I want him to feel as though he is loved as much by me as his real Mom.

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Click to See Our Photo Album and Vows Video

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine

LilMrsSunshine Posts : 195 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 8:13 AM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I am so excited to be his Mrs. My last name falls at the end of the alphabet his in the middle so our kids will not be called at the tail end of the graduation ceremony (which i hated) But i've never thought twice about changing my name. It excites me to be able to be Mr & Mrs So-n-SO!

Soon to Be Mrs. Parker 4-4-09

www.melanieandjeramie.com

JEG Posts : 72 Registered: 8/27/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I can't wait to take his name.  For one thing, it's tradition.  I don't like the idea of being married and having different names.  Also, people never say or spell my last name right, and it's 9 letters, compared to the simple 5 letter name it'll be changed to.  DEFINITELY no hyphenating!  My name is long enough as it is!  First name's 8 letters and middle and last are both 9, I don't need to add another 5!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Uzuri

Uzuri that is so funny. I can see why you don't want to hyphenate. You would end up spending so much time clarifying your name!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine