Where's the best place to sell used wedding stuff?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Where's the best place to sell used wedding stuff?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:50 AM

I am super fortunate to  have a FBIL that works in the restaurant industry and has found at auction enough dishes and linens (napkins and tablecloths) for us for our small wedding of 30.   We have had to weed through some fairly heavily used items, but even after that there are still PLENTY left and they're beautiful and very nice quality.

My problem is that my go-to place to sell stuff has always been ebay, but linens and dishes are heavy and it's hard to sell something if the shipping is more than the cost of the item. hehe

I thought about Craig's list and/or an add in the paper.   Is that weird though? Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this kind of thing?  

Who do you think is buying these kinds of things for only 30 people?

Thanks all! 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

Message was edited by: Nalamienea

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Re: Where's the best place to sell used wedding stuff?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Hmm... Craigslist is certainly worth a go. (I forget where you are Nala, but up here in Boston area, I'm sure someone would probably want them for something). 

What about making flyers and sticking them up at a couple local bridal shops? Or some other sort of community boards? 

I'm trying to think of ways that aren't a TON of work for you. Were there any vendors you were close to that you could ask if they known anyone? I feel like these may be a "word of mouth" sort of thing. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful with ideas, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling. 

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I agree, craigs list is great- it's local so no shipping- and it's free to sell stuff on, so cost you nothing. I'd deffinatly post your ad in a few catigories though, just to make sure people know what you have. (it's like an internet yard sale..lol) 

Check out my ALBUM to see ALL photos

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I'd go with craigslist first. I actually got quite a few things for OUR wedding from there.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 8:36 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

thanks guys! Craigs list it is! I'm in a pretty small town in Virginia, but the craigslist is listed for the next big city south of us.  I'm thinking someone wouldn't mind driving to pick up a whole bunch of cheap table cloths right??

Next question: my stuff is all fall colours, so do I put the word out NOW and let them know they can have it after the wedding, or do I wait until after the wedding? 

wedding ticker

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I'd wait for AFTER, just in case something happens. Also, you shouldn't run into any problems with someone to picking them up from a little ways away. Just be sure to put WHERE you are in your listing so who ever might want them knows how far they'd be driving.

GL!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

No problem! I've done a lot of craigslist shopping/selling!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

Our Wedding Website

Habsfan1282 Posts : 146 Registered: 5/28/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Ahhh craigslist...the fourth largest state and no local categories.  When you shop on craigslist here, you get listings for the entire state.  145,556 sq. mi.

Anyhoo...it would probablly be a good place to post for you.  You could always list on ebay also with a disclaimer that you reserve the right to remove if sold on another site.  I've seen that a few times.  Couldn't hurt.

Posted: Oct 7, 2008 6:44 AM Go to message in response to: Habsfan1282

I was thinking for most of the stuff I'll just start a store and put it up until it sells, but some of this stuff just isn't practical to ship.  I know there are people on ebay too who say they won't ship, you have to come and pick it up, maybe that will work. lol

wedding ticker

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

You might also try the "trash to treasure" board on the knot. They have lots of people looking for and selling stuff.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

oo! I've never been there! Have you ever bought anything from their boards?

wedding ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine