ideas for nice but cheap wedding favors?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
ideas for nice but cheap wedding favors?
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 4:06 PM

We're college kids on a budget -- a TIGHT budget. $3,000 MAX. Any ideas on wedding favors? And do we need them just for the wedding party or for all the guests? Our wedding is late spring, outside in a garden, fairy tale themed. I'm not too arts and crafty but my mom is and she can certainly help me out if I come up with an idea. Kevin and his dad are both great cooks. So I was thiking about making sometihng myself? But don't know if I'll have time.... Any ideas???

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: ideas for nice but cheap wedding favors?
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

As you have people who can cook for you how about making your own candy? I just went to a candy making class and we made lollipops which were just sugar, water and food colouring. They were very inexpensive to make. you could get a candy mold and make a flower candy (very springy) or something that goes with your fairy tail theme. Here are some flower molds that are designed for hard candy and able to handle the 325 degree heat required to make them.

http://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1284

You could put a little tag on them that says "How sweet it is to be loved by you" or something along those lines.

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I'm all about food as favors so my suggestion would be to make a whole slew of sugar cookies in a shape corresponding to your theme. You can then have a "decorating party" and using powdered sugar icing, you can paint the cookies. You can even put your initials on them or whatever you choose. Then, you can buy little clear plastic bags and tie them with ribbon. I believe you can even purchase little thankyou tags at dollar stores and such, but those may not be necessary. Just an idea :)

CyndixRichie Posts : 70 Registered: 10/22/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: Jade1107

How about buying flower seeds to plant? If you want to get really adventurous start them a couple weeks before your wedding in little peat pods(don't know what they are actually called sorry) then wrap them in bulk tulle with a note hanging off of it, It's spring so it's perfect time to plant them right with the peat! Forget me nots or morning glories are both easy to grow cheap to buy a packet like $.99 for a packet at most and you can do more than one from one packet. Or else you could creatively put some seeds in a mini envelope with a note what they are. (watch morning glories though because they are climbing plants) Cheap simple and won't require much time at all. You could also make paper (you can find instructions online)and put seeds in the paper, cut it into little shapes then tell them to plant the little sheet of paper. Could take some experimenting but if you have the time may be worth it. Those are like $3 online but you can really do it yourself. 

"Reach out and open the door that no one thought could be opened. Life is behind it! We don't have an eternity to realize our dreams only the time we are here. If you risk nothing then you risk everything"

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: CyndixRichie

If you're a cook and your wedding is in the spring, you could buy a bunch of herbs (rosemary and dill are great for this), dry them, chop them up, and give them out in little bundles or tiny bottles, with a recipe attached to each.  Another really easy food-related idea is to make an infused oil (olive oil infused with orange or rosemary is great), pour it into tiny bottles, and attach a great recipe to each bottle.  The oil itself is pricey, but you don't want to give much out.  The expense would be in the bottles. 

If you want to know how to make an infused oil, PM me.  I'm a chef, by the way, and like you, I'm all about the food. ;-)

summerjoy578 Posts : 11 Registered: 9/1/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Congrats on your engagement!  We are also on a budget....and someone at work gave me this Idea....you get like the little chinease take out white boxes or something similar and decorate them or print off a thanks for sharing our special day with your names and wedding date on labels to stick on each box.....Then you have various jars of candy assortments near the door with little scoops in them and on the way out...the guest scoop their choice of candy into the favor box and then they are off with a sweet treat!!! 

MotoMiller Posts : 17 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 10:30 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Totally off the food idea, how about bubbles? They are cheap and go with the whole fairy tale thing.

The Future Mrs. Miller

Every breath of who you are
Tells a story that I love
I have finally found the truth
In what I see in you

chaos696 Posts : 7 Registered: 10/12/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

chek out www.orientaltrader.com they have lots of good cheep stuf

chaos696 Posts : 7 Registered: 10/12/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

chek out www.orientaltrader.com they have lots of good cheep stuf

wannabeNurse2 Posts : 55 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: chaos696

I think she means www.orientaltradingcompany.com

I agree with pp. Favors aren't required. I'm only doing favors for the kids, but we are having 30 kids. I guarantee the adults will be thinking aww wasn't that sweet of them not where's our favor? 

Click picture for Bio!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/travisandmarronasplanningbio/Home

DaisypathWedding Ticker

DruidsGrl Posts : 37 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

What about a donation of what you can afford to a charitable organization that has meaning to you and print on nice paper from your own computer that a charitable donation has been made in your guests honor to x foundation. You could frame one paper and have 1 per table, or create a scroll with ribbon around it and put it at each guests place setting. Some charitys provide the already printed paper for you like dana-farber and childrens hospital. I'm making my donation to the childrens hospital in Boston. Good luck with everything!
DaisypathWedding Ticker

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: DruidsGrl

In response to the pretzel idea, just buy a couple bags of flips and do something like that. 

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

We are burning CDs.   The CDs and the sleeves for about 100 guests came to less than $50   (That being said, we also got a lightscribe printer for about $150... so our total favor cost is $200 / 100 - $2.00 each    (The light scribe pretty much came out to what the lables would cost plus ink, so it really worked about the same)    We'll be burning songs from our reception and wedding onto it.

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

Camrynsmom Posts : 158 Registered: 2/26/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

How about those candy cane swizzle sticks (they come in a TON of flavors and colors) or rock candy lolli pops??  They are super cheap (usually like 10cents for the candy cane ones and like 35 cents bulk for the rock candy).  You can put them in vellum bags and staple a pretty fabric of your choice at the top and add a card stock tag (you can print on the CPU) that says "Isn't love sweet?"  That was going to be my original favor but we decided to go with Home made jars of hot cocoa mix.

Or, you can get a bunch of carnations in your color a few days before the wedding so they open (they last forever) and attach a pretty ribbon and tag to each that says thank you and your names and wedding dates and either have the valet leave them on the dashboard of the guests cars or have someone hand them out at the end of the night.  EVERYONE loves to get flowers for nothing!!!  And carnations are super cheap and SUPER in right now!!!

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: Camrynsmom

Carnations do last forever (they are my birth month flower) I got a bouquet of them from my mother and they were still alive like 2 1/2 months later! They also dry nicely :) VERY creative idea Camrynsmom!!!!! 

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine