NWR: Anyone familar with Colposcopy / LEEP / HPV? (i got my results)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Re: NWR: Anyone familar with Colposcopy / LEEP / HPV? (i got my results)
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Aww thanks!

Yeah, that's how my MoH put it too - she said she just felt dirty when she found out and it's not like she had been with that many - i think maybe 2-3 (she was seeing her DH when she found out).

I'm in the same boat as you - I was with my ex for about 3.5 years and I've been with DH for almost 2 (we've known each other almost 11 years though). Apparently my aunt had the LEEP does as well for the exact same thing (I don't think she told my mom it was HPV though). It's just that I never thought twice about contracting this - we thought we were being careful. When I first decided to sleep with my ex I thought I did all my research, looking into protection and all that, talking to friends who were active, etc. I thought I was being smart. 

I'm still just in disbelief about it. When the doctor told me that using a condom or that DH having an STD test show up clean didn't matter i was just like 'oooh shit...'

I really don't want to admit to my parents cuz they thought I was a virgin til the wedding (or so they told themselves). and DH's felt the same way about us, even though they thought he was sleeping on the couch when he stayed here. it's like if i admit, then he has to as well since I could have gotten it from him. aside from his brother, no one else in his family knows his past, which he's admitted to me that he's ashamed of. i mean i know it doesn't matter now - DH and I both knew what we were getting into when we finally started dating - and we're married so it shouldn't matter now, but I know our families (both very religious) would be disappointed that we didn't wait and I hate disappointing them.

I contacted my ex last night and informed him, as much as i hate him now... i figure if there's a chance i got it from him, he might want to get tested specifically for it. That was smart to do, right? I mean, I haven't slept with him in like 2 years at least, so odds are, if i did get it from him, it's probably gone by now, right?

Thanks for your support again though, FutureMrSchultz

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

After I had the colposcopy and told that I had to have the LEEP I decided to tell my parents. My doctor didn't tell me that I had HPV. She only said that I had severe dysplasia which was pre-cancerous cells. I didn't think there was any reason to hide it from my parents. But then after I had the LEEP she said something about HPV and how I didn't have the strain that causes warts. I was definitely relieved by that, but still shocked. Then all the commercials started coming on and my mom asked"Isn't that what you had?" I said "No". But I guess it is what I have, I am just too ashamed to admit it. Maybe if you just tell your parents you have pre cancerous cells on your cervix they wont really ask questions. If they ask if it is HPV you can say No or you can just say yes, but you don't know how you could have gotten it because you have only been with DH. When are you having the LEEP?

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

well I told my mom about the moderate dysplasia and how it's an abnormal cell growth and how they said they mild isn't usually anything to be too concerned about since it typically flakes off and goes away like normal, but since they need to remove the moderate ones they'd be removing the mild as well at the time. I didn't go into to that's caused by HPV, i just told her it was a result of a virus/viral infection. I'm sure she's bound to find out it's from HPV though - her brother (my uncle) is a doctor so she usually cross checks everything with him, just to make sure it sounds right and for her own state of mind, so I'm sure he might mention it to her, if my aunt didn't already tell her when she told her she had the same thing years ago (my aunt also had the genital warts though, which luckily I don't have).

so my mom does know what's going on, but only to a certain extent - i left out mentioning the part that the virus it comes from is HPV...

*September 13, 2008 *

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I also had a leep procedure done. This was about 15 years ago and I have had normal paps ever since.

As far as the HPV goes it is virtually undetectable until something like this happens. As far as feelings of shame etc your family and friends are not going to be thinking about that. They will be thinking about how they want you to be happy and healthy.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Thanks TanisJ! That's a good thing to remember.

*September 13, 2008 *

Re: NWR: Anyone familar with Colposcopy? I'm freaking out a little!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Hey girl. I thought you said you were going to be having the LEEP on Oct. 30, so I was just checking in to see how you were doing and how it went.

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Nope, LEEP's not til December 3, but thanks for wondering though!

I met with my doctor again last week just to go over things and I'm talking with the hospital it's going to be at this afternoon.

I'm a little nervous - doctor said they put you under for it... never done that before!

*September 13, 2008 *

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

when i had my biopsy done the results came back that i did not have cancer or hpv. my doctor said that because it wasn't cancer or hpv that i did not have to have anything further done. so i am confused about what the leep procedure is that you are talking about. i looked it up online for curiousity's sake but i still don't really know what exactly it is.

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

NMJ- they are putting you under? I think you are very lucky! When I had my LEEP they numbed my cervix. I was told I shouldn't feel anything and it hurt like hell. My Dr. was a bitch though. The nurses that were in the room with me told me normally patients don't feel a thing. So you are lucky to be going under! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Fall- I am thinking that the dysplasia that you had from the biopsy was probably in one of the lower stages and your dr did not feel the need to do the LEEP. They sometimes will wait it out to see if your body fights it off on your own. Did your Dr actually tell you that you tested negative for HPV? My bitchy Dr never mentioned HPV in the whole process so I didn't think I had it. Then one day she said most people get HPV. But then when I got a new Dr, I had her test me for HPV and it came back negative. So I am confused to. Maybe I never had it. Did your Dr tell you to come back in 6 months for a check up? If so you should ask more questions then or call and ask!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

yep, they're putting me under - last week i talked to one of the guys at the hospital who gathers the information and asks me a list of questions so they can prep accordingly. i asked him about the anesthesia and he said they give me an IV and im out in a matter of minutes, completely out during the surgery - won't feel a thing - and said i probably won't remember anything until I come out of it - he said i might remember the end of recovery when they're trying to wake me up, but that's rare.

the LEEP only takes a few seconds but they have to prep you and get your body in the right position for it which can take a few minutes, pending how cooperative you are while you're under. it's basically a prong/pitchfork looking thing where a ton of electricity goes the 2 ends and they can slice the dysplasia right off the cervix without having to remove much of the cervix at all - they say it's like a hot knife going through butter.

If you only had mild dysplasia they probably wouldn't have done LEEP, as my doctor said mild usually flakes off and goes away on it's own, but once it becomes moderate or severe, then they prefer to get it removed so it doesn't turn precancerous on you later on. if mine were both mild he would have just said we'd keep an eye on it and id be coming in for more regular check ups to make sure it went away eventually and didn't progress worse, but because i had the moderate spot in there, he didn't want to risk it getting worse and is just removing the mild as well since he's already removing the moderate anyway.

*September 13, 2008 *

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Well, tomorrow morning's the big day.

I'm a little nervous, but not so much about the surgery itself, but rather the whole fact of being put under. I've never been put under so I have no idea what to expect and I'm a little nervous about being out of it and not being able to wake up until the anthestha wears off - not being in control of something as voluntary as that freaks me out a little! That and it's at the hospital - I've only been at the hospital once for myself, when I needed stitches in the middle of nowhere - all my other hospital experiences were spent waiting on relatives.

it's at 730am (central time) tomorrow morning so if you could possibly say a little prayer or send me warm thoughts, it'd be appreciated! I'm sure everything will go just fine, but there's always that slim chance, ya know?

*September 13, 2008 *

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

MrsJ,

How was the LEED? Hope everything is ok.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:53 PM Go to message in response to: MrsSy

sorry for not updating - this thread seemed to have gotten buried!

the surgery went well and when i went in for my first follow up exam a week and a half later the doctor said i was healing perfectly and that i didn't need to come in again for another 6 months. the day of the surgery i felt fine after, but my body ached the next day - i used a heating pad on my lower back and felt much better by the time the weekend came. it's been about a month and a half now and i feel fine, so that's good! the doctor said it would be best not to try for kids for at least 8 months though, so my cervix can fully heal fine and we have to use condoms for 2 months so no protein gets in there - it hurts a little at first, but other than that everything is fine!

thanks for the concern though!

Friends since December 1997
Together since December 2006

September 13, 2008
Legally, I became his and he became mine.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

So glad to hear that it went well. Hoping things go very well for the future.

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I'm glad it went well!!!!
I had the LEEP 2 1/2 yrs ago and recently found out I have abnormal cells again, after two yrs of having normal paps. In two weeks I'm having a colposcopy. I'm freaking out a little bit. We want to start a family right after getting married and I'm hoping this won't be an issue. When I had the LEEP, my dr told me she doesn't want me to get pregnant at least in a yr. BTW I was on BC after the surgery. My dr never told me to stop it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine