NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 1,278 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 1,414

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: Early Voting
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

They have always scared me.  The closer we get to Election Day the louder they are getting.  I also fear the ones that get them riled up.   I will be so glad when Tuesday comes and goes.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Here is some semi good news. The childrens TV station Nickelodeon had a "Kids Pick the President" and Brock Obama won. Their voting is probably online more like American Idol voting than Presidential election voting. But at least the majorit of kids who watch Nickelodeon want Obama as President. I don't know if that really says anything about the real election, but it gives me hope.

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Thats funny Charlotte. My daughter (who will be 8 on Saturday) is all for Obama. We talk to her about poloitics and such and she is a firm supporter (as are DH and I) of Obama. When she hearns McCains name metioned she always says....I'm sick of hearing from him, will he say something about himself, or insult Obama again. (wonder how many times she heard me say that

Sickening...

Bless your own day, leave mine alone!Innocent

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

The childrens TV station Nickelodeon had a "Kids Pick the President" and Brock Obama won.

The kids magazine, Scholastic ( I used to get it as a kid) also had a pool through the magazine.  The kids have predicted all but two presidents in the past 50+ years or something to that effect.  They also chose Obama.

What other experts have said, and gin's post supports this, the kids vote on what they hear at home.  So, basically, the kids that get Scholastic are in family's more likely to vote Obama.

It was interesting.  here's the link: http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3750501

Also, the interesting thing about them chosing Nixon over JFK (I dont' know if the article above went into this but - ) was that the polling was closed BEFORE the televised debate between Nixon and JFK.  Enter the effect of the TV and how you are perceived....

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: ginmal

About the plot to kill Obama. . .

The thing is, crazy people always want to kill the president.  This time, the crazy people will want to do it because he's black.  But people wanting to kill the president is nothing new.  Sure, they will organize, but they will organize at hate organizations and on hate websites that the Feds know about.  Not saying the Feds are perfect at catching people, but, still, that hate groups will organize to kill him isn't particularly new to me.  Sure, I worry that they could succeed.  But if Michelle Obama can kiss her husband and take care of her kids with that worry, then I can too.

Moreover, these groups know they probably won't succeed.  They will just die trying.

Here's what creeps me out -- the people they want to take out with him.  I'd already thought about what a black presidency meant for the chances of a presidential assassination.  I hadn't contemplated the effect on black people in general.  These neo-crazies wanted to take out 102 black teenagers before they even got to Obama.  If they'd succeeded doing that, they probably would have been caught before they even attempted to do so.  Still, they would have taken out 100 lives.

That's what freaks me out.  That racists' anger over having a black president will spill over into black communities or black people generally.  I'd never really thought of that. 

Doesn't change my vote.  But does creep me out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different, more inspiring note, I just got back from a training session for a Protect The Vote campaign in Virginia.  The room was packed.  I found out that more than 4,000 lawyers have volunteered to work at the polls on Election Day (including me).  Definitely bodes well for Obama's ground game.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

There is so much insanity going on!  My heart breaks for Jennifer and her family, the Neo-Nazi's are ridiculous, did you hear we're going to war with Seria (are you serious?), we are in a recession, and mosquitos have attacekd my feet...but there is a silver lining in all of this---I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!!  :D  (sorry, that was my first self-absorbed B2B moment...hopefully yhe only one) Wink
wedding widget

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I heard about that terrorist threat. I also heard some stupid woman say on TV that an Obama presidency would destroy America and allow Muslim terrorists to control the US.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

That's nothing new.  That's been being spouted since day one.  It's getting more play again now because it's close to Nov 4th and people are getting desperate.

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

where are these people getting this muslim crap from?? Was his father muslim? Even if so, Obama REALLY had no dealing with this father.

God bless America

I'm just ready for November 5th when this voting is over and decided upon.

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

And out of the woodwork again!  Ladies don't be fooled - Nov 4th or early absentee voting is the ONLY way to vote!  The election is NOT being split over two days.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/voting.asp

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 10:33 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ladies I found this on Fauxnews.com I love to read that site they are so stupid and so very scary.  Joe the plumber is now campaigning for McShame and this is the crap he is spewing

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/joe-plumber-backs-claim-obama-bring-death-israel/comments/ 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Oh My God.  So the fact that this guy is a complete SHAM holds no water for them.....

Lovely.  What we will stoop to in the last couple of days.  If this takes the election.......

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Since when did Joe the Plumber become a politician? He needs to stick to what he is good at and go un-clog my drain.

I am happy to hear the information about the scholastic kids magazine and how the kids are usually right. I figured with the Nickelodeon poll that the kids are choosing who their parents support. It is hard to teach kids politics and not have them be partial to who you want.

Sadly though one of the schools in my city did a mock election and they chose McCain by a big percent. I am in Missouri so it surprised me that he would win or by a lot since I believe we are still considered an undecided state. The numbers who voted were not large so it might have just been a grade level that did the election. Needless to say I know what elementary school to NOT send my child to if I had one.

I am so sick of these people who are drinking the biggot kool aide. I have heard about how other countries do not like or trust the US and I never understood it too much. I knew there were bad people but I thought the good over shadowed the bad. This election has made me realize that the US is at least almost half full of people who just wont think. It really does make me feel like fleeing the country. Unless Obama wins, then I want to be here to just rejoice in it.

Someone else made a good point that every President has had people trying to kill him. The only difference is with Obama they will target him because of race. But that is what the entire election has been like. People attack his race and religion. Even though he also apart of the white race and is a Christian. It doesnt matter either way of corse, but that is all people can attack him on. The only real honest point I have heard anyone say is that he hasn't had enough experience. I do not agree with that, but it is at least a point about his ability as president instead of skin color or religion. I dont understand that comment though because who has experience as President? You only have experience if you have done it before which neither Obama or McCain has. It isnt like he is a random person who has never been involved with politics all of a sudden a step away from Presidency.

This election has me on edge I think I could run my mouth about it forever because I am so scared Obama might not win. So I am sorry for the long post.

Obama Ad Time Tonight
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I'm a little worried it's going to backfire on Obama tonight, being seen as too much, or him making assumptions.

It does seem a tad grandiose....

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Great. So now theyve got Joe the Plumber for McCaine and Elizabeth Hasselbeck for Palin. I swear - whenever I see that women (Hasselbeck) I have the immediate urge to kick her in the face repeatedly. She is seriously dumber than rocks and soooo annoying with that whiny voice of hers. I think the McShame camp has collectively lost their minds.

Yeah so Obama bought the 30minutes for tonight. For some reason I thought it was for the night before the elecrtion, but its tonight. 8-830. I have rehearsal so Ill be dvr-ing it. Curious as to what he will say. I really just want all of this to be OVER.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine