NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 1,333 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 10:04 PM

I think this weekend might be a little slow so I thought I might open this up to discuss things that are going on in our areas, our country, even in the world, to keep those of us stuck at home entertained.  Politics are OK, let's just keep it respectful to one another.

I want to start with this ridiculousness in Orlando with the case of the missing 3 year old, Caylee Anthony.  Is anyone else following this?  I have been watching Nancy Grace and Greta van Susteren every night, the thing is CRAZY. 

To summarize: Caylee goes missing and for 30 days her mother, 22 year old Casey, hides it from her parents, George and Cindy, who they all lived with, saying that Caylee was staying with some babysitter.  During that time Casey dates at least 4 different guys, goes out partying, participates in a "hot body contest" (she is very attractive- a BIG part of the reason, I'm sure, why this has so much media attention), all while her little girl is missing.  Well, Cindy finally gets suspicious and fed up and when she smells what seems to be a "dead body smell" in the trunk of Casey's car she calls the cops on her.  Media circus ensues. 

Casey does 2 things with the police: lies to them constantly (lies that she gets caught in easily like telling them she works at Universal Studios when, in fact, she was fired from them over 2 years ago!) and refuses to cooperate in finding her daughter.  There is no "babysitter" that she can/will give info on or that the police can locate (she gives a name but cannot give them a phone number or tell them where she dropped her daughter off to be with the supposed babysitter), 2 cadaver-locating dogs light on the trunk of her car independently of one another, forensics just came in that said the air in the trunk of her car indicates there were human remains in there at some point, DNA results show that Caylee's DNA was in there AND it shows she was not alive.  It isn't 100% certain that she is dead until a little more evidence comes in but... it's pretty obvious.  Some bounty hunter (with an upcoming tv show of his own...) had helped bail her out for a while (he now says he regrets it immensely) but she is now back in jail on new charges (some kind of check thing) in addition to the child neglect charges, among others, she was already charged with.  So far not murder- yet.  There is an offer on the table to give her some kind of immunity (partial immunity) to get her to talk and find the little girl and put her to rest.  I think it expires Tuesday so hopefully she will talk by then.

I find it hard to believe that some kind of accident killed the little girl and the mom what- had a psychotic break and dumped the body in a gator-filled lake?  I mean, my cat just died and we gave him the most amazing burial we possibly could- you just wouldn't do any less for your own child unless you were freakin psychotic or you had something to do with the death and wanted to cover it up.

I do feel terribly sorry for her parents and the rest of her family.  They seem like nice, good people who have almost certainly lost their much loved granddaughter and are now probably going to lose their daughter, to jail, at least.  Such a sad situation.

What do you all think?  Guilty?  Other theories?

Anything else going on in the news would be fun to discuss, too!  Both presidential candidates just announced their picks for running mates so that is pretty exciting stuff. 

Plus, in entertainment news the fall tv season is about to start- what returning shows are you dying to see?  (The Office!!!) Any new ones you are psyched about?  (The new 90210- pleeeeeeeeeeeeease don't suck!!!) Tell me what you think!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Newsie come into my TV Thread. We talk about ALL the shows in there, its quite fun especially now with the new season starting. Im excited about The Office, House, 30Rock, Rescue Me, and right now Im already watching MadMen which I love. No idea when Flight of the Concords and Curb Your Enthusiasm come back but I love both of those shows as well.

As far as McCaine - random choice of VP. Whats with the Tina Fey lookalike? I dont know. He seems like hes trying to hard to be hip and young and hes older than dirt. Bottom line is when I look at a VP I need to be sure that if something happens to my President God Forbid- THIS is the person who we have to trust to run the show. I think Obamas choice was excellent for that very reason, and McCaines was not.

I havent heard anything about that story in Orlando, maybe we dont get it up here. That is INSANE!!!! Sounds to me like obvoiusly the mom killed her own daughter or shes psychotic or messed up or something. THats really sick.

I dont have any real NEWS to talk about lol. Watching the US OPEN right now thats whats going on in NY and I love it.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

That's funny, I was JUST reading an article about how Sarah Palin looks exactly like Tina Fey! lol  She really does, too.  The article said that Tina should guest on SNL and play her and make a big story line about Sarah Palin and Cindy McCain fighting for McCain's affections.  lol  Would be funny if they could swing it!

When my mom met McCain she hugged him (yeah, she got really close and, no, she's not a Republican, she just happened to be passing by an event of his and stopped in) and she said he is REALLY frail.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Totally missed the Tina Fey resemblance, but I see it now.  lol

Kelley - Honestly, yes it seemed random, but I think it's a bid to win over the Hilary supporters who want a woman, regardless of the party, in the WH.  I don't think it will work, but I think that was his gamble.  I have to thank him though, I wasn't sure which way I'd vote, but he decided that for me.  (I was debating going third party.) 

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

ive been following this story when i can..i love nancy grace..the other nice when her show had a fillin..the night that the  caset was rearrested on live tv..i was watchin that..and i was like heck yea

i seriously  believe what some are saying that she is in her own little world because she shows no emotion and she doesnt realize what the heck shes doing..they might find her mentally unstable..but that wont come around to testing until she is actually charged with murder.

i seriously think she did somethin to her daughter..which is sick..and now they are saying she asked the neighbor for a shovel.

i hope the horrible woman is fried..thats sick and just ugh..how can you do this to your own kid?? ill never understand that..but then again..how many wackos out there do this kind of stuff ..thats the scary part..i defenetly think shes gulty..and i dont see the plea deal going through since she wont talk...so  fry her fry her fry her

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

OMG, I totally missed the Caylee reference.

Unfortunately, I do believe that her mother killed Caylee.  Just the info that the police have released to the public is damning, and I'm sure they have more.

And I can't even begin to think about anyone, much less a mother, killing a child.  I will NEVER be able to comprehend it.

In fact, this reminds me of the Susan Smith trial - wow, ten or so years ago.  This woman said a black man stole her car with her two kids in it.  I saw her on TV with her husband crying and pleading for them to be returned.  And I said to my roommates, are you kidding me, she killed those kids....  My Mom was Horrified, but I KNEW.  And then, of course, it came out that she had driven her car, with her kids in it, into a lake.  Because her 'boyfriend' didn't want kids.

Yeah but then she got 'off' because her step father had sexually abused her.

I so did not agree.  And I could/want to totally go off on this now, but I will digress.

However, at what point is anyone supposed to think the best?  And that's a sad thought, and I'm not usually a pessimist.  

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

i remember susan smith.

now heres the sad/sick question..do you think they will ever beable to find the body without casey talking???im seriously thinkin they wont because supposedly they can track where she was at times through her cell phone signal..or there fore lack of it at times..in the woods..they havent mentioned that in a while..but im wondering if its even going to be possible without her talkin?

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

I don't know that they can track her whereabouts.  And that is horrible.  But I did read that her car was found by a dumpster, so trust me, if they think so, they will be searching through a landfill.   Given the time that has past....

I hope their is a special hell, physical, biblical, emotional, what have you one anyone who would remotely inflict this pain or murder on a child. 

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

well supposedly even if you dont have signal..or something..your signal does bounce off the towers near by..thats how they did follow her moves for a while in the woods..then it disapeared for a while..then came back again..so who knows

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

PharmTox, I remember the Susan Smith case.  I have thought about it often in relation to this one.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say she "got off" because I know for sure she is still in prison, she got a life sentence and is still there.

As for finding Caylee if Casey doesn't talk... it would be tough.  I used to live in Orlando and I am VERY familiar with the airport area which is where the "pings" from Casey's cellphone occurred.  There is a lot of forest/wetland area, a million places to hide a body, especially a small one.  I imagine the gators would probably get to it pretty quickly if you left it out. I don't think the pings can lead police to a small enough area to do any kind of meaningful search, the area is pretty rugged (contrary to what people normally think of when they think of Orlando).  This is why they are offering her a conditional form of immunity, so they can locate the body and give her a proper burial.  She would still be charged with murder (or manslaughter, I suppose, if she can prove it was an accident and she truly had a psychotic episode which made her hide the body... would hate to be that defense attorney, if I were a juror I wouldn't buy it) but they might take the death penalty off the table or something like that.  I don't know, it's some complex legal arrangement.  I don't even know if she'll take it.  She could be too damn evil to admit to anything or she could be too nuts to know she did anything.  I mean, all this time and she hasn't talked to anyone?  That's WEIRD.

However, I am an ardent opponent of the death penalty, even in this situation, so I'm hoping she gets life in prison.  Life in prison would be so much worse than dying, anyway.  shudders at the thought

I think the point at which we no longer should try to think the best is now: when there is just so much evidence pointing to the worst, you know?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Where is the TV thread?

Misty

Create a wedding ticker

http://johnandmisty.ourweddingday.com/

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

She got sent to a pysch hospital/jail.  Even a lot of jails are nicer places then where a lot of people in this country live.

She'll still be up for parole at some point.  There are times I support capital punishment, just my opinion. 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

On the McCain choice: I'm a Democrat, but if I were a Republican woman or a disaffected Hillary supporter (and they should get over it, already!) I'd find the choice insulting--does he think that just because she's a woman, anyone with a vagina is going to run out and vote for her? Could he find a less-qualified person? For those women who have not been paying attention, she is a far right wing conservative, anti-abortion even in cases of rape or incest, a committed hunter (where are all the PETA people out protesting?), does not believe that global warming is caused by human activity (take that, Hurricane Gustav!), and is under an ethics investigation right now. She has zero foreign policy experience, and her administrative experience consists of being the mayor of a town of 7000 people in Alaska, and 1 1/2 years as governor. McCain met her once before choosing her. It must be more than his body that's frail. Yikes!

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Myra - I am in total agreement with you on the McCaine VP thing. I had heard all that stuff about him meeting her only once before choosing her and I thought - that HAS to be a joke or exagerration. But no - its true. And I am/was a huge Hilary supporter and youre right. It IS insulting. Its as if he said, "Oh - heres a different female. They wont know the difference. Shes female." Do you really think I was going to vote Hilary because shes female? Ummm, no. I was voting her in because shes HILARY. I dont want just ANY woman to be on the VP or P ticket just because they are female and its history in the making. I wanted Hilary - the fact that she would have made history was just an added bonus. But to think that I would vote someone in just because they are female is an insult to my intelligence. Besides, as you have pointed out Myra by listing some of her policies and beliefs, this woman has ZERO in common with Hilary. Nothing. Youre right - McCaines got a few screws lose if he really thinks that adding a female to his ticket is going to be enough for us to go, "Hmm well shes not Hilary - but good enough." Wrong!!!:)

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat - the TV THREAD is right here, in the Family Friends section on the site. Its called the TV THREAD lol. You cant miss it.:)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine