A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

ajs2012 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/21/09
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: May 20, 2009 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: sweaterpoorlyknit

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Rose- I had no idea that there were so many like me! I'm glad to be in good company with a lot of patient ladies :) And PS- I love your avi picture! I went to the Grand Canyon this March and sooo wished that I could have brought FH, it was so beautiful, breathtaking, and romantic.

Sweater- Well, health insurance is the biggest reason that we are waiting. FH will lose his insurance upon graduation in 2012, so we might as well tie the knot right after graduation. Hopefully he will have a job lined up with insurance by then, so there won't be much of a gap in our coverage. Other reasons for the wait include a lack of funds for the wedding we want, the fact that balancing college and a new marriage would be tough, and our parents would be much happier if we waited.
If we could, we'd get married tomorrow ;)

Right now, we are both sophomores at the same college. FH is a criminal justice major hoping to be a state trooper one day. I am a physical therapy major to finish my doctorate program in 2014. We haven't done much planning as of yet, but we are putting loose plans together and having fun with it!

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: May 20, 2009 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hi girls!!

Wow I missed so much! lol.

Love: It really kind of depends on what time your wedding is going to be. A cocktail/dessert reception would work if you aren't getting married around a typical dinner hour. Otherwise I would go with a buffet.

Ariana: hugs I'm glad that you guys were able to talk, and that your FH finally started communicating with you about how he is feeling. That is a huge step if he's anything like Chris! lol.

Anyway, I think his idea to just relax is actually a really good idea. You are planning a wedding that is two years in the future. Simply from a planning perspective, a lot is going to change in that amount of time and so will your ideas about what you want. Also, there is a strong possibility that your guest list will change--people will acquire new significant others, people might get cut, people might die (god-forbid, of course), you may make new friends. All of that impacts you wedding in a lot of ways--primarily the cost. All that being said, maybe it's a good idea not to rush into planning your wedding, as tempting as it may be. Better to just get ideas now and decide what you really want than to commit to something too early and hate it on your wedding day. From another perspective, you have both been really really busy and stressed. Just taking a year to focus on your relationship and get a better idea of where you are going to be in the next couple of years isn't a bad thing either--especially if it will help ease any doubts that your FH has about his job, education, ability to provide, etc.

I know that it is really hard, but in the long run I think it will end up being a good thing for both of you. And I know that your families would have a problem with it, but maybe moving in together (kind of as a way to assure your FH that it isn't actually that scary! lol) would be a good thing for you guys. That way you would have some space and privacy for your relationship.

Nessa: You must be getting so excited!! I can't wait to see your pictures! I'm so glad everything worked out with your dress and the centerpieces, but I'm sorry about your GM! And your bachelorette party sounds like it was a blast!!

Carrot: It sounds like you've accomplished a lot!

As far as programs go, I made ours. You can use pretty much any word processor program. I just set the layout to landscape with three columns and set the fonts to fit inside. I also printed the programs so that I used both sides of the paper. I would draw out what you want to put where and the fold the program to make sure it works. The front cover, our new address and our thank you message was on one side, while the ceremony order, our wedding party, and our family/the in-memory section were on the other. We had ours printed on cardstock from Kinkos, but you could just have them done in black and white on regular paper to cut costs. Programs really aren't something I would splurge on because they get crumpled up or folded funny and thrown away by the majority of guests. Hope that helps!

I totally agree with you about switching rooms! I would want the master too, if I were in your shoes. Also, although FMIL is your landlady, I don't think she should be involved in this decision. I mean, you are the ones who have to live there--she doesn't. I think you should talk to him again and tell him how uncomfortable you are both going to be in that room--maybe show him how little space he will have by making room for all of your things in his space--you know, shove all his clothes to one side of the closet, squish his stuff together to make room in the dresser, etc. Maybe that will change his mind. lol.

Autumn: Taking extra classes is definitely an idea! I was actually just thinking about doing that...getting a minor to add to my major. We'll see how it all goes, though.

Natassia: Congrats on your grades!!

Jeanie: Good luck getting settled! I know that's hard but it will feel like home before you know it!

AJs: It sounds like you and your FH are being smart about waiting to get married until you can afford it and get insurance. That is such a crucial thing to have!! That being said, I know it's hard to wait. Hang in there! The time will pass before you know it!

Whew!! I think that's everyone. If I missed you I'm sorry!!

So...Chris really isn't seeing too much of an improvement in his cough, although I think it's happening less than it has been. But I guess he would know. Anyway, he is supposed to go back to the doctor again if this round of meds doesn't fix him.

As far as the mold thing goes, now that we know we have it, we're trying to figure out where it's coming from and if the mold inside is worse than outside. We already had two tests--one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom--that were positive, so I went out and bought 4 more--one for each room in the basement that hadn't been tested and one for outside. I started those this morning, so I should get some results in about 48 hours. We've been sleeping in the living room for the last couple of nights, and will probably continue to for the rest of the week at least.

We really think that it's coming from the wall between our bedroom and the bathroom. That wall is where all of the plumbing is to the shower, sink and toilet, so it's very likely that there is mold there--especially since the bathroom mold test isn't as bad as the one in our bedroom. Anyway, that's why I'm doing the other tests--to see if those results support my theory or not. And if they do...well, who knows that we'll end up doing.

Chris and I have decided that we aren't going to be buying property yet. We are still worried that he will get laid off in August, and we don't want to end up in financial trouble if he does. He's been applying for new jobs left and right but so far no one has responded. So that is a bit disappointing.

I'm doing better with this living arrangement, but I have to say that I was thrilled to pieces to find out that Chris's grandma is going to be done from Thursday to Saturday. lol. I kind of feel bad, but I'm looking forward to having the house to ourselves!

And...something weird has been going on. A couple of weeks ago, my friend called me to say that she'd had a dream that I was preggo and in labor, and that our whole group of friends was at the hospital with me and Chris. Incidentally, I'd had a nearly identical dream about her about a month prior (she actually IS pregnant and I had my dream after I found out). Anyway, Mother's Day weekend rolls around. I was called a "mother-to-be" twice in two days--once by Chris's grandma! Finally, I was talking to the mom of one of my students--I've known her for quite awhile--and she said she had a dream about me having a baby! Um...yeah. I have no idea what to think! Except for that I really don't want a baby right now. I mean, I would welcome it and love it and make it work, but now is just not a good time. Expecially with the living arrangement! There is no way in hell I would stay here for the duration of my pregnancy. No way I would have a newborn here in this moldy basement. And there is no way I would live upstairs. Absolutely not. lol.

Anyways...I guess that's all for now. I found out that I'm competing at a vocal competition in Kansas City, MO later this summer--my voice teacher kind of decided that for me. lol. I'm competing in the art (classical) voice division and the theatre voice division, and I'm doing things I already know decently well--all of my pieces are performance ready or almost there. Plus I will be preparing 4 students for the competition as well. And one of my students hasn't been in the studio for almost a month and decided yesterday that she wants to do the competition. IMO, she isn't ready right now because she JUST started lessons! Plus I hadn't picked a 2nd piece for her yet. So I had to do that today and she'll just have to deal with what I gave her. That's what she gets for waiting till the last minute to let us know and for not showing up to lessons in almost a month! She is going to have me so stressed it's not even funny. Yikes!! I'm so nervous, I've never prepared my students for competition before!

EliseKenny09 Posts : 14 Registered: 10/29/07
Posted: May 20, 2009 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: ajs2012

hey girls! i don't havemuch time to post, i have to study for exams. but i do have big news.
i think i'm pregnant.
at first i was really upset because of our wedding coming up soon and how would we handle that....but then i stopped and thought about it. and im really excited. and i hope that i am pregnant. kenny and i are ready to be parents in every way. and i realized that there's more to our relationship than just us and our wedding. it's a big eye opener. call me crazy, but if i'm not pregnant, i might be a little upset. i'm sure God has his own plan for me, but i hope it involves a baby. hahaha okay i'm waiting for you all to throw things at me and tell me i'm too young and crazy :-\
just wanted to share it with you..

NKGiordano Posts : 57 Registered: 5/9/09
Posted: May 20, 2009 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: EliseKenny09

I graduated!!!! I am officially a 2009 Graduate with a Bachelor's Degree!!

I was SO nervous that I would trip or something but it went PERFECTLY. Amazing.

Jeanie- I am super nervous for law school. I have heard good and bad things but it is my passion so definitely worth it. I think my language barrier always makes me more nervous. I speak fluent English but I still have my Russian accent. Russian and Italian are my first languages. English is my 4th language. French is my third. I always hope I dont screw up when using my English. I have faith that we will be fine in school! 3 more years of hard work!

Natassia and Kris

July 16, 2011

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: May 21, 2009 2:52 AM Go to message in response to: NKGiordano

I'll respond to everyone later; I'm just stopping by for a second!

Natassia- The more you post, the more I think we have a ton in common! lol English is not my first language either, although my first language is french, and english is my second, but I also speak some spanish and american sign language.

Anyways, I'll come back when it's not in the middle of the night and talk to you later!! :)

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: May 21, 2009 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: EliseKenny09

Good morning girls!!

Elise: Wow!! Have you taken a test yet to find out for sure??? Don't worry, I think we're all pretty supportive and open-minded. :-)

Natassia: Congratulations!! Wow!! I would love to speak both French and Italian--I can sing in both languages, but speaking in them is something else entirely!! If nothing else, I will be going back to school for some language courses to help me better teach them in my voice lessons!

So...I found out something interesting after I posted last night. Remember I had that dream about my friend that was identical to the dream she had about me? Well, in my dream this is where there are differences in our dreams she ended up having a boy. After I posted last night, I got on myspace to discover that her status says that they are pretty sure they are having a boy, but will know for sure in 7 weeks. Now, I realize it was a 50-50 shot...but that just weirds me out. lol.

And Grandma is gone till Saturday! lol. Chris was actually excited about that too. lol. I'm glad it's not just me!

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: May 21, 2009 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Nessa - OMG 3 DAYS!!!!!! I am so excited for you. I am sure that it will hit you soon, it probably hasn't yet because you have been busy with all the planning and everything. I hope Sunday is a gorgeous day for you!!

Natassia - congrats on graduating, I know how exciting it is as I just did it last weekend!! I'm glad you didn't trip as I almost feel processing in on a sprinkler head sticking up out of the ground! Good think I caught myself because that would have been embarressing!! Also congrats on the good GPA all that hard work does pay off in the end!!

Ryanne - I really hope you get that mold situation under control and it isn't all over the basement. Is Chris also taking cough syrup? I hope that feels better soon esp. with the summer coming and grandma going away!!

ajs - that is really good that you guys are waiting to 2012 for those reasons. FH and I got engaged in 2007 and we're waiting to 2011, possibly even later, so I know how the waiting game sucks, but in the end it is worth it.

Elise - Good luck with your test results. I hope that everything works out! Have you taken a home pregnancy test yet? Jewel just had a baby girl about 2 months ago and while her FH is away you can get some insight from her about things and her pregnancy.

I think I got everyone. As for me ... FH and I are planning on having a cookout at my house on Saturday and we are excited about it. I actually took the day out of work tom so we can go shopping and start preparing for it. We are going to have the cookout at my house and I think that it will help us just relax with our friends and have some laughs. We have been doing a lot better, we went shopping together yesterday to pick up a few summer clothes and are planning on going to the outlets on Monday because they are having a huge sale and the both of us have the day off from work. So I'm looking forward to that. I think that we might go out to dinner just the 2 of us on Friday night and just have a good night together. Things have been going good between us and I really feel that once we get back on track that we will get married in 2011 like planned. FH told me not to cancel anything and FMIL finally got the guest list done. Right now we are at 280, but we may cut out around 25 which would bring us down to 255, but we wanted to have an idea of our core group that would be invited. I looked it over yesterday, but really didn't go into detail because I wanted to keep my promise and give FH a break with everything. I do agree with him with the pressure and wanting to enjoy things and once we get this summer rolling I think that we can better manage that, before it was just too much and I didn't see it.

Well I am off. Hope everyone is having a good day!

Edited by: Ariana1228 on May 21, 2009 1:43 PM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: May 21, 2009 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Nessa* It may not even hit you until you have your wedding dress on, on the day and you have a bunch of sobby bridesmaids and your mother around. That Thank you card idea is sooo cute! I love it! Sucks that a GM backed out, especially so close to the day! Good luck with getting things together!

Nat* Congratulations on graduating!!!

Carrot* I agree that privacy is a big thing! Just read Ryanne's posts! Privavy is definitely integral in a newlywed relationship!

Elise* Have you taken or will you be taking a test soon? Why do you think you are pregnant. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! I'm glad that you are excited about the idea of it rather than dreading it!

Ariana* It's good that you and your FH have talked about the issues and he has finally confessed as to why he wasn't thrilled about a wedding in 2 years. I think that's a major issue, being a provider, for a lot of men. I know that Greg doesn't always like it when I pay for him at dinner or anything because he feels as though he always should be--but I do it sometimes anyways because I like to. We take turns kind of providing for eachother because both of us go through spurts of having like 6 dollars in the bank...and it's always at different times. So either he's loaded and I'm poor or vice versa.

It's funny that you are having a cook out this Saturday because Greg and I are throwing a barbeque at my place this Saturday. I love organizing and preparing for get togethers at my place, so I am very excited. We have lots of food to prepare Saturday during the day and I am excited to see all of my friends.

The cook out will be good for the two of you since you're saying that you two have strayed away from each other the past couple of months due to school work. It will be a great chance to have fun and reconnect to how the two of you were. What are you cooking? Hope you have a great time!

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: May 21, 2009 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hey Girls!!

Natassia~ Congrats on graduatiing!! I jusy got my final grades back and found out I have a 4.0!!

Ariran~ Your weekend sounds like it will be lots of fun!!

Brighter~ So does yours, I love cook outs, and planning and having people over, we do a game night at least once a month where we invite friends over, and have dinner, dessert, and play games and drink, so FUN!!

Elise~ Have you taken a test? If you are will that mess up any of your wedding plans? Your getting married in July right?

Ugh so it is finally starting to hit me I have 3 days to finish things....I did my favors and flowers last night, I think they came out good, and I can't wait to get a pic of the flowers and bouts to show off the light sabers on them!! I didn't do any tags on the favors, but figure I wont, its more money and stress. I am waiting for my bags to get in so I can put together my out of town bags.....The rehearsal is tomarrow and we are haveing a BBQ so I am looking forward to that. So I have to get back to work, I am supposd to be getting of now, but I have something I HAVE to finish before I leave for a week.

anitafawn1 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/21/09
Posted: May 21, 2009 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Those are two beautiful dress's. You are your bridesmaids are going to be beautiful on your wedding day. I don't know what girl would not wear a bridesmaids dress of such good taste. Wonderful choice and I hope your wedding goes great. My daughter is getting married in May 2011, I think it is still too soon to get her a dress. The way girls loose and gain weight, mainly loose, it may not fit her that many days from now.
Fibonacci

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: May 21, 2009 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Posted: May 22, 2009 1:41 AM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

I need some opinions. I have been looking at colours and themes and trying to decide. I know I have time but we are having a big wedding so we want to get started. Here's the list:

Ballroom on the beach/summer- red, pink, orange, yellow.
Pink and White
Fall Colours- burnt orange, dark red, brown/gold.
Romantic- blue, purple, peach/coral
blue and gold or pink and gold.

It wont just be a colour theme. The whole ballroom will be coverted to convey these colours.I am still looking but this is what I have come up with so far.

Natassia and Kris

July 16, 2011

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: May 22, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Hi girls!

Carrot- Is there a compromise for the master bedroom situation? Maybe Mason could live there one year, then trade rooms so you and Ben have it a year? Also, do you know how he would feel about it? Maybe he wouldn't mind giving up the master bedroom, especially if it meant cheaper rent... I'm an optimist. ;)

Ariana- I'm so glad you and FH talked and he explained everything. I see his point, gotta admit I think providing for a family is scary stuff too, lol. Spending quality time together is a great idea and now that school is out of the picture, I'm sure you'll be able to strengthen your bond together again! Grill outs are always fun, enjoy hanging with your friends.

Nessa- You sound calm and collected girl! That's disappointing that a GM dropped out, but at least you don't have to stress about him now. I love the idea of photo thank you cards! 2 DAYS!!!!!!

AJS- Aw thanks, I like my avi too. ;) I'm a photographer, so if there's a camera around it's usually in my hands, but that means there aren't very many photos of FH and I together. Our friend took that picture without us even knowing it, I was proud of him, hehe.

Ryanne- Keep us posted on the mold test results. It's good that you're figuring out the problem, but it sucks that it's mold in your living space! How does one get rid of mold between the walls, if that's where it's growing? Also, the baby thing is kind of weird, but I'd chalk it up to coincidence and say dont' worry, just stay consistent with whatever form of birth control you use and it should be okay! Have some FUN while grandma is away this weekend!

Elise- Wow, congratulations if you're pregnant and that's what you want! And I don't think we'll throw things at you, this is the young brides thread after all and I don't know anything about your situation so how could I judge you? lol. Have you taken an official test yet? Let us know!

Natassia- Yay, you graduated! Congratulations! I wish I knew as many languages as you do. Also, I think all of those colors sound lovely so I'm not much help there.

Autumn- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! On the house! And your 3 year anniversary! And a proposal coming soon, hehehe.....

Alright, let's talk swimsuits for a minute. I need to buy a new one this summer. Where do you girls recommend I shop? I'm on the cusp of 'normal' and 'plus' sizes and I'd like tankini that covers my stomach or a 1-piece that doesn't have large floral prints only women over 40 would wear. Where can I find sexy black 1 pieces or tankinis?!

Posted: May 22, 2009 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Thanks!

Victoria Secret. Some are on the pricy side but worth it. They have THE sexiest one pieces ever. I love all their swimsuits.

Natassia and Kris

July 16, 2011

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: May 22, 2009 5:14 PM Go to message in response to: NKGiordano

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine