A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:11 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

All his planning sounds pretty adorable! Yosemite would be such an amazingly beautiful place to get engaged! And what a great memory! But even if it doesn't happen there, it's exciting to know it's coming, isn't it?

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:58 AM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Jeanie- Yeah, it is kinda exciting knowing it's near. That's actually the one thing I'm pretty sure about--he's been set on proposing in June (our 3 year anniversary) since last year and I finally "agreed" in less words this weekend. If it doesn't happen before Japan, oh well, I know it's coming eventually, but if I were a betting woman that's where I'd put my money. ;)

Autumn- I bet there are lots of ways your guy could propose on campus or in town! My boyfriend is a no-frills, untraditional type of person who doesn't like to be the center of attention, so I've never expected fireworks, planes flying or scoreboards flashing "Marry me!" Actually I'd still be surprised if he did it while inYosemite, if I had to predict I'd say it'd be simple and sweet, like cuddling in bed or sitting on the porch just chilling alone. I also know that my boyfriend is waiting to see how the semester goes because if he does poorly it would change our plans quite a bit, so perhaps yours is waiting until the house and your job application go through, to have a better idea of the future.

Yay it's almost May!!! That means a few weddings are coming up! Nessa and Flaahowa, how are all the plans coming along? You too Carrot and Mari! And everyone else I didn't name, share what's new with the wedding plans!

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Good morning girls! I still fell horible and can't seem to leave my bathroom for more than a few minuets. I called my boss and shes letting me work from home today so thats good.
Rose~ It is amazing how rampid our imaginations can get witht he media playing a part. When I was at the Urgent care last night the Doctor I saw said its really not as bad as the media is saying it is, he said there was no reason to beilive I would have it because I haven't been traveling, and haven't been around anyone sick. My FH is realy upset they didn't test me, he keeps saying if I die hes going on a shooting rampage there.

Autumn~ Wowo I don't really have any advice as to what to do about the job and moving. I am one of the people that would just try my hardest to find something where ever the person I love is. But it sounds like you are a very independant woman and want to do what will make you happy, and it sounds like your FH is ok with that. I say applying for the job would be a good thing, Maybe hold it for a year and be keeping an eye on the Florida teaching market, and see if anything you would want to do comes up avalible....Good luck!!!

So I said I would post pics of my trail so here they are!

Mayhairback.jpg picture by Nessabear615Myhairfront.jpg picture by Nessabear615 THe week before the wedding we are going to put deep red highlights in, and get a really good trim job. I can't beilive I only have 25 days!! I still haven't started fittings, and I really need to because the dress is like 2 sizes to big! I am getting so nervous. I have my deadline for RSVPs on Friday, and am still waiting for over half of them! I am in limbo because I don't know how many people are comming and I need to get with the florist about how many centerpeices I need, I need to order liquor, but need to know how many people, I need to make my out of town bags, but need to know how many, need to finish my favors, but how many?? Ugh I think I am going to go lay down....

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hey everyone! Its been a long time! I am just really busy. I am done school but doing some crazy studying for my LSATs. I have a month! When I am not studying, I am with Nate. I am seriously falling in love with him. Super amazing. His hospital hours are crazy but that is working in my benefit because if it wasnt, I would never get any studying done.

I hope you are all doing amazing! Nessa, LOVE your hair! I hope your wedding goes great! I will try to come on a little more often if I can but I feel odd cuz I have nothing to contribute because I am not a bride.

I am going to eat breakfast! I woke up lateee. Nate sleeps at my house all the time! So, we are always awake at random hours. I am sick again! Which totally sucks.

Bye!!!!!!!! Miss you all! P.S. Audra, Project, Mari, Chic, I miss you guys a ton! Email me or something if you ever read this! nat_ab@hotmail.com

Nat (21) 

What is meant to be, will be.

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hey girls!!

Brighter: Oh....I see. lol. Wow, that's a crazy situation. At least you were able to figure it out without causing problems between your FH and his brother. That would have been really bad!

Jewel: If you're going to hire a planner, I would hire one from the area you're getting married in. A planner from your home state might have a lot of good ideas and all that, but they won't have the information about the area that a planner from TX will have. Besides that, they will probably already have worked with a lot of different vendors and will have a good idea of who is good to work with and who isn't.

As far as ettiquette goes, you can send Save The Dates (STDs) out 9 months to a year in advance, although some people do those sooner. Those can simply be a postcard with your picture and a saying like "He popped the question, she said yes!! Save the Date! your name & his name; your wedding date". You can either make those yourself if you're so inclined or have them printed. In checking prices, I found that making them myself using postcards from Office Max were cheaper, so that's what I did and they turned out really good! Magnets with your names and wedding date are also very popular to send out, although they are more expensive. And the rule with the STDs is that you don't send a STD to anyone you don't plan to actually invite.

With your friend, I would just invite her as a guest and just tell her that you are trying to keep your wedding party small. Or, you could give her a smaller role, like a reader, candlelighter, personal attendant, or guestbook attendant. She could even be an usher. Whatever you decide to do, you just need to stand your ground and not let her push you around.

Autumn: I hope that everything works out for the best, no matter what happens with your job, his job and your wedding! lol. :-)

Rose: That would be so cool if your FH proposes at Yosomite!

Nessa: Feel better!!! And your hair trial pictures turned out really good! Your hair is so pretty! I know you're getting close to your wedding, but try not to stress out too much. I'm sure you have lots of people that you could delegate tasks to--why not have your bridesmaids or some other friends over and watch a movie and make favors? That could turn into a really fun night! Once you get better, of course. :-) Take lots of warm, relaxing showers and make sure that you take plenty of time for you and your FH to just chill out--don't let the wedding take over. I'm so excited for you!

Natasha: I'm so glad things are going well with Nate! Keep us updated!

So...I went ahead and applied for a 2nd card after the 1st one was declined. It was declined too, but I got different reasons this time. This time they said it was because of a low credit score and no recent "revolving account activity", both of which I obviously knew about. So I'm breathing a little easier, and I have credit reports coming within the next month, which will help clear a lot of things up. I will probably end up having to get one of those prepaid cards that reports to the credit agencies and then switching to another card later on. This will get figured out eventually...sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Chris and I kind of came to a decision about what we're going to do. We decided last night that we are going to buy property and a small trailer (I hate calling them that but that's what they are. They don't have to be trashy, though) and live in that for a couple of years so that we can save up more money to build the house that we want. We were originally going to buy the land and build the house at the same time, but we want to get out of grandma's ASAP. We've figured that we can save about $15,000 in the next year by living here--and that's not counting what I put into savings or Chris's overtime--and use that as a down payment. So it's kind of exciting, knowing that we have finally come up with a game plan that suits both of us and have something tangible to work towards--raising $15,000 in the next year.

But in the course of that conversation we got into it about how much I don't like living with his grandma. I'm not going to lie, it drives me nuts. He doesn't understand why I still dislike it so much, even after 6 months of getting used to it, why I can't just accept it because it's a good thing. For me, he doesn't get how uncomfortable I am. I feel like I'm living in a glass house. That's as simple as I can make it. A glass house where there's only an illusion of privacy. A house is supposed to be a place for privacy. The catch is that it is transparent.

I don't know. I've really changed in the last 6 months. I can feel it and Chris can see it. And neither of us like it, but what on earth am I supposed to do??? I mean, I feel like I'm perpetually in a bitchy mood, and how fun is that?? I mean, Chris doesn't want to have sex when I'm bitchy, and when I'm bitchy I don't feel like it either. See where I'm going with this? I mean, the lack of sex is due to other things--like the fact that Chris can't run or get excited or else the cough he's had since he had pnuemonia in January will come back, or that he works weird hours so he's tired when we do get the chance for it--but the bitchiness and the living situation in general doesn't exactly inspire passion or romance.

I've tried really hard to be okay with this and to get over myself and what I want and just deal with it. I've tried to have a good attitude but I'm tired of trying.

I didn't want to spend my first two years of marriage living with an old lady. I didn't want to be sharing a kitchen or walking by the piles of boxes of my things every day, or to get an invite to a tupperware party that I don't want to go to because I don't have a kitchen to use the stuff in. I didn't want this. Period.

I know I need to get over it, to just put it all on hold right now...but it's so hard.

And...Chris doesn't understand why because all he cares about is that we're together--he doesn't really care where we live. And it makes me feel bad because I feel like I should be able to be that sacrificial too...but I can't. Well, obviously I can but I can't do it with a good attitude.

Sorry for the rant girls, I'm just really really frustrated by this.

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

ok guys sorry I haven't been on in a long time ... school has been killing me ... FH and I also went to the Red Sox Yankees game Sunday night so I was in Boston all day on Sunday! ...

I just wanted to thank everyone for writing back to me about the venues. I am sure that we are going to love the second one, maybe even more than the first but if it is that much we just can't do it and we're both ok with that.

As far as destination weddings ... I am not having one, nor am I having a wedding coordinator but IMO if you were to have a wedding coordinator I would do so in the state you are getting married in. my reasoning behind this is the fact that they know the area where to go, who to book, who can fit in your price range and still give you a beautiful wedding. If you were to take a wedding coord. with you they would have to do just as much research as you are going to have to do b/c they are not familiar with the area.

As far as divorce - as others have said about their fears of divorce, I think it is only normal for everyone to have some sort of a fear about it as well. Do I think FH and I are going to get divorced? No, but like someone said you never know. In my experiences I see that people grow and change as we do ourselves and the best thing that I can say is that if we grow and change in a positive way, there would be no problems or reasons for divorce. If one starting to be disrespectful or demanding of the other IMO it would end up in a divorce. I know that we all look for something in life, but I think it is different to look for it then to demand it. I am 100% Italian and so is my FH, and our parents are completely different. My parents have been married almost 30 years (my mom was 19 and my dad 21) and FILs have been married for almost 25 years, but there is such a difference in their relationships. Because my mom was so young and got married in "the olden days" it was believed that she did everything for my dad and to be honest my dad took complete control of that issue. My mom to this day does EVERYTHING for my dad and I don;t think that he respects her the way that he should. FMIL does a lot for FFIL but FFIL respects her and does things that she wants to do, not just everything that he wants to do. Example: FFIL goes to the market with FMIL or shopping or really anywhere she wants him to go. My dad will not go anywhere with my mom and I think that's rude and honestly really sad. So I guess my point in this rant is that my mom allowed my dad to become that way and I'm not blaming it on her because she thought she was just doing what she had to and what she was taught, but in the end she's really the one who is alone. Because I saw this and I am 22 and understand a hell of a lot (IMO) I am going to do everything possible not to let this happen in my relationship. Not saying FH would ever do this, but I am very open with him about how I feel on certain things and I think that communication and talking honestly and openly about your feelings is one of the key things in a relationship. You have to understand each other and their needs and support them, but also respect them. If you do that, I don't think you will end up in a divorce, obvi marriage is more than just this, but I think that communication is key to every relationship. My parents don't have that and that is why amongst a lot of other issues at home my mom is contemplating divorce. I'm on her side, but don't really know how to feel if that makes sense. I do feel better that I finally said it to someone though (you guys) as it has been upseting me as much as I don't want to admit it.

So Rose, I don't think that you are going to have to worry it seems like you and FH talk about everything and are very comfortable in doing so and I think everything will be great, you're just being a worry wart like the rest of us :)

As far as everything else with my graduation and this stuff going on I think that I am going to feel embarressed about my parents. FILs have no idea and I once again just really don't know how to feel. My mom has been going back and forth with the idea, but I have a feeling she is going to act on it soon (as she told me that this morning). Any advice is much appreciated!

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

and I totally skipped a whole page of stuff ... sorry...

Nessa - LOOOOOOOVE the hair trial, it really looks great and like I said before I know you have a lot to get done, but everything will always fall into place.

Ryanne - I think I know how you feel. Granted I am not married yet and I don't live with my FHs grandma but I kind of feel this way in my own house. FH and I do not live together. I still live at home with my parents and him with his, but as I mentioned above my house just isn't the same. I go home and honestly I feel as though my house isn't a home, if that makes sense to anyone. I can't just go home and relax and do whatever I want to do, nevermind what FH and I might want to do together. I mean sometimes we cook together and I bake but it's just not the same. So just as much as you don't want to me stuck at his grandma's I don't want to be stuck at home. The only reason I am at home is to save money because we are building the house and so on. The only advice I can give you is as much as it sucks and I know it does, think about how great it will be in the end. When you and DH are done saving and can buy a place think about how much more you will appreciate the fact that you have it and worked as hard as you did to get there! It is a HUGE accomplishment and while DH may not understand what bothers you b/c grandma is his grandma, we are all here for you and vent and bitch to us so you guys can enjoy your time together without you being pissed and upset. Like I said I know how you feel and I get mad at FH sometimes when I know we can't build our house this year, but it's just because I want to look forward to something between us that we share and move out of my house to just have m own place so I get the bitchy part too. As I have said before just remember everything works out in the end for the better and try not to take it out on Chris, as hard as it is sometimes. And remember we are always here for you!! ***hugs***

theblackdiamond... Posts : 18 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Autumnalis - Wow, your job situation must feel a little bit stressful, but if the worst situation is you both loving your jobs, that's really not all bad! You can just take it one step at a time. Maybe this experience in your hometown will give you more opportunities in Florida should you decide to move there, or maybe the perfect position for one of you will open up near the other one after this period. Good luck, I know it can't be an easy road to navigate, but at least it seems like you have options!

Nessa - I am so sorry you are sick, but i'm glad it isn't the swine flu. That would be horrible! Your FH is too cute worrying about you and taking care of you. Get well soon. Your hair trial looks gorgeous, especially the back view. You'll be giving the audience something to really stare at! :)

Rose - I hope you get better, and I truly hope you don't have the swine flu!! When I was getting engaged I pretty much demanded to know every detail. It still feels perfect, but looking back it probably would have been better if I had just let him do things on his own terms then been so nosy!

Ryanne - I really feel for you. Your first married years should be about being young and in love and just being who you are as a couple, and I can't imagine how hard it having to spend your newlywed period living under someone else's roof. That being said, you guys are going to have the amazing opportunity to save for a house, which means you'll be fairly young and fairly early into your marriage when you have your own place, your own EVERYTHING. You'll be able to make everything your own in your new house, and you won't have to go through years and years of wasting money on apartment rent while you're trying to get there. So, while it sucks, just focus on the awesome future you have ahead of you, and how smart it is for your financial future. I know how awful it must feel to know that it's taking a toll on your relationship, but if you guys can get through this time, imagine what it'll be like when you have your own place -- when all of your suffering pays off? I hope you guys can really find a solution that works for both of you!

Well ladies, i'm definitely dragging my feet on planning again. Thank god I have so much time to take care of this! School has just been eating away at me lately. This week is even worse than my finals week, with huge presentations and projects due in all of my courses. Chris has been so sweet, making me my favorite dinner last night and just dealing with my generally bitchy attitude. When I get over-stressed I tend to just get snippy and lash out, but he's so calm and sweet-natured that he just took it in stride and realized that i'd be very sorry tomorrow (which is today!). I'm trying to figure out a good way to make it up to him when he gets home from work, but I also have another big project to work on, so... I guess i'm just trying to find that balance.

------- 

On June 5th, 2010 I will become Mrs. Ashlyn Brewer!

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: theblackdiamond...

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Autumn - I am supportive of my mom because I do understand and like you said she has a lot of life to go and be happy and I feel that she should be. I'm just mad at my dad for it, I mean he has problems ... brain damage, diabities, emphazima (sp), coughsyncopy (sp), depression and other things, but he just doesn't do anything to help himself. I mean he smokes ciggs inside the house ... my mom has asthma, so does FH as well as really bad allergies and honestly we all get headaches from it. When FH and I got engaged in 2007 he said he was going to quit and so on .. well hasn't happened, I just don't know what to say to him anymore. He didn't care about his diabities so he is now on insuline, and as far as the depression he can go and talk to someone and he does sometimes but I don't think he says everything he feels so it doesn't help. my brother and I can't have anyone over the house b/c of his behavior, my grandma (his mother) has tried to talk to him as well as the rest of his family and he could care less. My mom has spoken to all of his doctors but they can't do anything it is up to him to change. Like I said I talked to him, but I get so mad at all his excuses I usually just yell and then leave. Or he will change everything for 1 day to make me happy and then go back to his normal ways. I can't take it anymore so I can just imagine how my mom feels. She has talked to me about it but I think that she is scared, confused and generally feels bad. If my dad made lifestyle changes to better himself and his health there wouldn't be a problem, but no one wants to see him practically kill himself and not give a shit. That's the main problem that everyone can't stand and he just doesn't respect anyone else. My mom does everything for him as I said earlier and he can't even take her out to dinner. My mom deserves better than that she is a great person and should be treated right. So I guess these are my feelings about my dad I'm just very angry inside at him because he doesn't want to do anything to get better. It really is sad to see.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Thanks for all the complements on my hair ladies!! I lovd it and it was diffrent than what I am used to!
Autumn~ No my hair is rather strait, the under layer has some waves that just cause tangles.

Ryanne~ Wow I still can't imaging living with DH's grandma. I know where your comming from, I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but the guy Iw as engaged to before FH lived with my parents and I and I totaly got bitchy not having my own place. I sitll beilve thats the main cause oof us having to break it off. But your plan to buy the land and what not sounds like a great idea! good luck with that!

Ariana~ Wow, my dad has a lot of the same problems, but in the end its that both my parents antaganize eachother. My dad has a frontal lobe brain injury that causes him to have severe personality disorder, and his main default personality hates my mom, but my mom is usually a total bitch to my dad. When they first seperated and got divorced, I was in middle school, and didn't really see both sides of the story, all I knew was my dad was cheating on my mom, and more or less abusing her. Then they got back together after he had a heart attack because he "changed" and I told my mom he hadnt' I was just a stupid 15 year old who knew nothing aobut love so they got remarried. still to this day I hear what a bad idea that was from my mom. But over the past several years I have seen that it is really both of them. I don't know who my dad puts up with my mom, I was on the phone with her the other day and he asked who she was talking to asked if it was me, and she blew up at him with her nasty angry squeel thing she does, for no reason. Then while I was down for my shower we went out to dinner, and before that she made a comment that he never takes her out, but when we got home all she did was bitch that it hurt her and she doesn't have enough strangth to work, adn go to dinner (she is disabled as well from spinal cord injury). Ok so I just realized that it sounds like my mom does most of the antaganizing, but my dad does his fair share. Sounds like your mom is making the best desicion, and getting out of that situation, it may be hard on you at first, but you have to remember it is the best idea.

Well I am feeling a little better, I still just want to sleep, and my boss wants me to come in early tomarrow, I hope I can get enough sleep to feel better.

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa - my dad CAN do something about all of his issues he just chooses not to. Like my grandma (mom's mom) told me today when I talked to her (she is in FL - coming home on Friday) that she had said something to my dad after Richard and I got engaged about why doesn't he take care of himself doesn't he want to walk me down the aisle? He said of course I do, but yet does nothing to act on it and make his health any better. He needs to loose weight, my mom and I go walking everyday and we asked him to go .. doesn't want to ... doesn't really want to do anything. All he honestly does is sleep ... all the time, I really don't understand how you can sleep that much but he does. And when he is not sleeping he is complaining or annoying someone in my family. To be honest I don't hold back from my dad. He knows not to ask me to buy him a pack of ciggs because I won't do it. I feel if you want to smoke then go to the store and get them yourself. I probably mainly feel this way because he doesn't do anything so why should I do anything for him? I ask him not to smoke in the house for all of our health including the animals, he could care less, he does what he wants so at the same time I feel like I have lost respect for him. If you don't respect me and yourself, why should I respect you? It's not like I don't respect him I just get mad and I feel like he shouldn't be respected sometimes.

I think I am going to mention to my mom about going to a counselor tonight. I think that she is confused about how to feel I mean she has been married for 30 years and at the same time feels bad for my dad, but I know that she needs to do this for herself. She just needs to talk to someone outside of her family (and me). I am here for her but I think she holds back from telling me everything that she feels because she doesn't want to tell anyone and she holds it in which isn't good. I am going to tell her that I will go with her if she wants, but I really think that she needs it.

Thank you for letting me know what went on with your family though I guess it's just hard being 22 and trying not to choose sides even though I support my mom. I just wish my dad would realize it for once and listen to us and change for good.

Richard knows how I feel everything and I already told him if he ever turned out like my dad (which I know he wouldn't) I would not hesitate to divorce him. Do I want to get divorced? Of course not, but I also want to be happy in my life. I think that Richard knows this and he has been there for me everyday throughout this and anything else on my mind. I can tell he is like his dad, someone who always cares and no matter what always wants to be around me. He loves spending time with me ... maybe a little too much time ... j/k!!

That is also why I give soooo much credit to you girls in long distance relationships I really don't know what I would do if Richard wasn't here with me. I am an independent person, but his view on things brings me back to reality sometimes. Like when I'm really upset and can't think clearly he calms me down and makes everything ok. So props to all of you for being extremely strong!!

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Nessa- Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe the curls aren't natural; they look so good and not at all fake-y and overdone.

Natasha- Studying for the LSATs is brutal! I thought I was going to kill everyone around me when it was getting near test time before I took them. I'm pretty sure my roommate didn't look me in the eye at all, and I think I became a hermit for about three weeks and did nothing but go to class, go to work, and go home to study! But you'll get through it, and it will feel amazing when you know it's over (plus you'll probably have scads of time you didn't know existed in your life pre-lsats)!

Ryanne- It sounds like you have a solid plan for getting your own place. I hope things work out for you!

Ariana- I'm sorry for the struggles you've been having with your family. It sounds like you've been able to be very open and honest in your relationship though, so that's really good.

I called the church I'm planning on getting married at to try to set a date today, and found out they don't allow you to use it unless you're a current parishioner. I couldn't believe it! It's the church I grew up going to, as did FH, but I've been in NYC since I was 18, and he's been in a different part of MN, and now CT, so neither of us are parishioners any more, but my parents still are, so I thought it would be okay, but according to the lady I talked to it's not and there are so many young couples in the area wanting to get married they make no exceptions. I'm freaking out a bit right now. I've always dreamt of getting married there. I think I'm going to try to call one of the priests, hopefully one that will remember me! Keep your fingers crossed that they are willing to bend the rules!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine