VOTE ON THIS ETIQUETTE QUESTION!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 130

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: VOTE ON THIS ETIQUETTE QUESTION!
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I vote E, not only because I am sure my sister's tattoo collection could rival this womans or because i have a tattoo myself, but because I really don't think its anyone's business.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I'm with E- her tattoos have nothing to do with your wedding.

And, really, there is no need for anyone to be so obnoxious here as to criticize someone else's tattoo choices when nobody asked them what they thought of their tattoos.  If someone wants a flower tattooed on them then THEY think it is pretty (and it more than likely has meaning for them) and it is nobody else's goddamn business unless they were ASKED (which, in this case, they were not).  Stuck up bitches who think they know everything need to keep their big mouths shut.  Even worse when act like they are an "etiquette expert" when, in fact, they are just incredibly rude and I am sick and tired of it.

Enough is enough!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Dear NJ,

The problem is that people go out and get tattoos, then expect The Whole World to be accepting of the tattoos and not say, nor think, anything about them. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people out in The Whole World who think tattoos are ugly and disfiguring. I'm one of them. If that makes me a stuck up bitch, in your mind, then so be it.

At a wedding, I would never say anything to anyone about any tattoo. I might, privately, think "Yech", but I would keep those thought to myself.

In the workplace, however, I have plenty to say along the lines of restating the company's dress code policy against visible tattoos in the workplace. I'm on solid legal and ethical ground there. We have a business interest in not allowing visible tattoos at work.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Nobody ASKED you about your workplace.  Nobody ASKED you what you thought of someone's choice of tattoos.  And not liking tattoos isn't what makes you a stuck up bitch, you are a stuck up bitch because you constantly berate other people for things which you have NOTHING to do with.  Now if someone has ASKED for opinions that is fine but I am sick and tired of sitting back and listening to you go on and on about how wonderful and all-knowing you are while you put someone else down.  ENOUGH.

sarahledford Posts : 56 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

KUDOS TO NJ!!! BOUT TIME SOMEONE TOLD AUNTIE BABY THAT SHE ISN'T ALL KNOWING AND POWERFUL!  SHE SEEMS TO HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT EVERYTHING AND SEEMS TO THINK HERS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT COUNTS....NO MATTER WHAT SOMEONE ELSES OPINION IS SHE HAS SOMETHING TO COME BACK AT THEM WITH AS IF THESE BOARDS ARE SOME SORT OF DEBATE HOUSE!

VISIT MY WEDDING SITE!!! WWW.RYANANDSARAH.THEBIGDAY.NET

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: sarahledford

and PS....as soon as I saw a thread with the word etiquette in it Aunt would be ALL OVER IT!! She always turns something as simple as this "just vote" into a battle of who's in the right

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: sarahledford

Let's all blow up over nothing this weekend! Sounds like fun! 

Everyone gave an opinion with their vote. So are you saying that her opinion means less? Did she tell you you were wrong and you're pouting on other threads? Boo Hoo! 

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

no she's never told me I was wrong. but nobody asked her opinion about tattoos either---that wasn't the title of the thread

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Dear NJ,

"And not liking tattoos isn't what makes you a stuck up bitch, you are a stuck up bitch"

The ad hominem attack. It's a logical fallacy to attack the person holding the opinion than to attack the opinion itself.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: sarahledford

Dear Sarah,

Message threads are open to anyone who wishes to reply.

I did address the original question. No, I would not say a word to the bride about the tattooed guest.

This is not hypothetical. I went to a wedding last month where there were many tattooed guests. I did not say a word to anyone about it. It is not that important.

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Wow, what is with this whole trend of attacking people for voicing their points of view?  This seems to be happening more than usual lately.  Here's the thing, no matter what you think about Aunt's opinion, that's all it is, an OPINION. At least she is delivering it (as she always does) in a respectful manner.  She isn't resorting to foul language and I, for one, always value her opinion.  Probably because I normally agree with her, though. :)

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Oops, I forgot to vote.  I would probably say "E" when we are referring to a guest.  However, I have  a BM who has a tattoo on the back of her neck and she knows that I am not fond of them, so she offered to cover it up for the wedding because she has short hair and it would show with her dress.  I am really grateful that she is willing to do this, because it just isn't something I want my family to see coming down the aisle.  It probably doesn't help my opinion that it is the chinese symbol for F-you though.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:34 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

no matter what you think about Aunt's opinion, that's all it is, an OPINION. At least she is delivering it (as she always does) in a respectful manner.  She isn't resorting to foul language and I, for one, always value her opinion.  Probably because I normally agree with her, though. :)

TOTALLY disagree with this statement Moho. Sorry. But just because someone expresses their opinion without using "foul language" - that does not make their opinion any more classy or respectful. Just means they didnt curse. Just because your turds are all shiny and covered in polish - they are still turds. What exactly is "respectful" about saying "If someone wants to go out and look ugly - so be it."

AOTB presents HER OPINION as if its fact. That guest did not "go out and look ugly " - she went out and attended a wedding AS HERSELF. Thats who she is. Just because AOTB if of the opinion that tats are ugly , does not make it so. But in her mind, its classy and good etiquette to say "oh you look lovely" yet take every opportunity to talk about it here there and everywhere else. Again to me this is not what "etiquette" means. And I would certainly rather deal with someone who uses foul language and tells the truth than someone who talks all sugar and sweet and then goes home and speaks about me negatively as a sport. Yes of course people talk. But I NEVER worrry that my FRIENDS are going to go home and talk about me behind my back. I know them better than that and anything they would say to me - they would have no problemm saying it TO ME. Thats all.

And honestly - I think posting someones picture without their knowledge who was a Guest at your wedding in order to leave the door open to insulting them is MUCH worse than coming to a wedding with tattoos on your body. I know you arent doing it to be rude Maine - and you didnt show her face etc - but if it was me and I came across it I might not be too happy that you used me as some sort of science experiment on the boards.

By the way - I vote E. Obviously. This is so NOT an issue.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Dear MoBride,

"so she offered to cover it up for the wedding "

It's good of her to offer.

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

That's just uncalled for. You're still pissed and spreading the hate. Opinions are opinions and Aunt said nothing about the girls going out looking ugly. She just does not like tattoos. 

I have friends who have them and I contemplated getting one in college (but chickened out because I hate needles). But what the pro-tattoo people are supporting is the SAME THING as saying that you do not like them: FREE SPEECH!

Stop the hating! This whole gang up on Aunt thing is getting old and out of hand. 

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine