VOTE ON THIS ETIQUETTE QUESTION!

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 130

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
VOTE ON THIS ETIQUETTE QUESTION!
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:11 AM

K Girls.

The subject of etiquette has been prevalent on the Boards lately. Thought it might be fun to get your votes and opinions on this etiquette question.

This is a shot of a "Guest" at my wedding, to the left.

Here's my question. You vote or add your own answer or comment. (Note that this guest has tattoos all over her body and the dress is rather short) You know this guest already and all about her tattoo. She is the wife of the FH's best man. Do you:

A. Do not invite either to the wedding because her tattoo "just doesn't match your color scheme";

B. Keep her husband (the best man) in the wedding party but politely tell him to please leave his wife at home because of the tattoos;

C. Invite them both but tell her politely to "cover up;

D. Invite them both, say nothing about the tattoos and just grin and bear it (while maybe trying to keep the photographer AWAY from her); OR

E. Say absolutely nothing, don't even think twice about it and secretly hope that everybody has a wonderful time at your wedding?

I vote for E but I was amazed about how many people commented about the tattoos

What do you all think? 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: VOTE ON THIS ETIQUETTE QUESTION!
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:33 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I say E - her tattoes are none of my business.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

sarahledford Posts : 56 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

E  we each are individuals and my guests can be themselves....how they dress or what they look like is not going to affect my wedding or is any way a reflection of me.

VISIT MY WEDDING SITE!!! WWW.RYANANDSARAH.THEBIGDAY.NET

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: sarahledford

Yup! I'd much rather have her there! My philosophy was-the more the better!

But people actually came up to me and commented about the tattoos! I was just like, O. K., yeah I guess I should have called her to tell her to remove her tattoos before she came to my wedding! Is that what they wanted to hear? 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Dear Linda Jo,

I am, personally, an anti-tattoo person. I don't like them and think they are ugly.

But that's my personal opinon.

If other people are comfortable with them, that's their business.

I would just ignore the whole thing ("E") and figure that if a person wants to go out looking ugly, that's their problem not mine.

In the workplace, however, it's a totally different story. We do not permit visible tattoos in our workplace, and are on totally solid grounds for that prohibition.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

E. Unless someone's tattoo was terribly inappropriate (and by that, I mean a devil-worshipping penis snorting cocaine, or something like that), I'm cool with it. In fact, I'm a pretty big fan of tattoos as an artistic way to express oneself. 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt- 

I'm neither for or against them. But I'll tell you one thing. I'm glad I didn't get a tattoo when I was a kid. It would have been a mistake and I probably would have regretted it. I used to want one of a rose on my shoulder or my ankle in my early twenties.  

Actually the woman in the picture has some very beautiful artistry work. It's awesome to look at. I am amazed at all the time and work that actually goes into creating them. 

While tattoos do look wonderful on some girls, they're not personally for me.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Dear Linda Jo,

"Actually the woman in the picture has some very beautiful artistry work. "

Although I fully understand that some people find them beautiful and artistic, I do not.

But, then, I'm 54, and have a large birthmark of my own. That might be a contributing part of my unrational prejudice. Why mess up perfectly plain skin if you don't have to?

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I would say E.

Not only are her tattoos none of my business, I'm not her nanny. It's not my problem NOR my responsibility to dress my guests.

I also agree with you, Maine: I'm glad I didn't get a tattoo when I thought I wanted one. 90% of kids in my high school had them by graduation.... and I guarantee you the majority of them will regret them later. I'm siding with my dad: he didn't get his tattoos until he was 45, and both have been gifts from his daughters that he knew he'd never regret. (One is a bear head that says "Daddy Bear" underneath. The other is a wizard that I designed just for him. Both have a special significance to him.)

sarahledford Posts : 56 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

I had always wanted one but never knew what to get cuz I didn't want to do the whole get a tattoo just cuz I want a tattoo thing.  I wanted to make sure it was something I'd NEVER regret.  I now have my kids footprints from the day they were born on my ankle with their names and dob's.  I get compliments on it EVERYWHERE I go! I have people walk up to me and ask to see it and their comments most of the time are "I absolutely HATE tattoos but I really think that is the neatest thing I've ever seen"

I also now have one on my lower abdomen just above my bikini line on the right of my belly button of a Hibiscus (my wedding flower) and the Islands of Hawaii (where I'm getting married)

VISIT MY WEDDING SITE!!! WWW.RYANANDSARAH.THEBIGDAY.NET

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

E...She BM wife.....You personally know the woman, YOU & DH love her for the person that she is.   She is YOURguest so what.  Were her ta-ta's hanging out of her dress, was her dress so mini it was almost cootch showing?  If no, then it's no one elses business.

The La Kickin' Loosers are gonna kick everyone out of our way of reaching the top prize, so watch out!

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

E- Tattoos do not speak about the person inside. 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

E--for me, she would be part of the entertainment (or at least, part of the decor!)

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: myra

E - Unless it's a nazi symbol, I'm pretty okay with whatever you decorate your body with.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Dear Mushaboo,

"E- Tattoos do not speak about the person inside. "

Ummm... people get them to express some aspect of their personality. So, the tattoo does speak about the person inside.

If I met someone with racist or very disagreeable tattoos, I would avoid that person, as I would see the inside is just as ugly as the outside.

Butterflies and flowers? "Yech" to the artistry, just my personal opinion, but things like that don't reveal an ugly inner soul.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine