NWR: My car was hit! I need a new one! What kind of car do you drive?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 32

Montereybride08 Posts : 494 Registered: 1/25/08
Re: NWR: PICTURES!!! I need a new car! What kind of car do you drive?
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

I am sorry to hear about your car! That is so awful! This same thing happened to FSIL, but hers looked worse.

I have owned a salvaged car before, and honestly, if there is any frame damage at all, I would take the $$ they are offering you, and invest in something new. You don't want to deal with that reoccuring nonsence.

I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix XR. I bought it used in 2006, with 34,000 miles and ALL the upgrades for $13K. I LOVE this car! Honestly, my FH talks about selling his truck b/c of MPG, but the only car he thinks is pracitcal to get is the Matrix, and he doesn't want to have matching cars! haha.I think a PP mentioned, the seats fold completely flat, so you can fit almost anything in the back, it is very sporty, with a lot of pick up and go, it gets close to 30 mpg.

I personally think that Toyota is a sturdier car than Honda (I have owned both- my civic felt like a tin can).

Good Luck!

October 18th, here we come!

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: Montereybride08

I can't remember who brought up the Hybrid discussion but not long ago on the Today show they had the Civic Hybrid, Tahoe Hybrid and Prius (I think).  They were explaining how long you would have to drive each of these cars to "recoup" the gas savings (extra cost of hybrid - gas savings =0).  The minimum was 7 years and I think the Tahoe Hybrid was like 15 or 20 years. 

Not only does it take forever to see any real savings, the parts and finding a dependable mechanic who is certified in Hybrids will be more costly than with a normal car.  (DH took a Hybrid certification class just b/c they are starting to get more and more in the shop but HATES working on them b/c the parts &  labor involved are so much more than what a normal person would pay for the same thing). 

Just wanted to throw that out there for everyone.  You need to look at the long term cost effectiveness of owning a vehicle like this. 

Op - I can see where you wouldn't want to get that fixed, you'd need a new bumper, trunk & quarterpanels.  If you would get it fixed, I would be really worried about that leaking and possibly molding and ruining the trunk and whatever you would have in the trunk.  Good luck finding something!

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 8:40 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Okay, so I have officially accepted the deal that was presented to me.  I am going to take the money!  I've sent the Deed and will receive a check right after he receives it.  They are also going to pick up my car tomorrow. 

The bummer is that I'm in Idaho and he is in Colorado, so I may not get the check (my down payment) until Monday.  I'm REALLY hoping he puts the check in the mail the same day he gets the Deed and maybe it'll be here by Saturday.  Of course, I still have to have it cleared/cashed before anything.  :-(

I'm looking at a few options.  I could get a Cobalt LT (the replacement for the Cavalier, which is what I had) cuz it's cheap and has good reviews.  I'm also looking at an Elantra cuz it's slightly bigger than what I had and it has a great warranty.  Now, what I'm really liking is the Vibe and Matrix (I know, it's the same thing) cuz it has everything I need and it's different from what I've had for the last ten years.  The problem is that in order to keep my low interest rate, I'm required to buy a 2007 or newer.  Vibe's and Matrix's are out of my price range ($17,000+).  :-( 

My FH feels really bad cuz he wants me to have the car that I REALLY want but our current financial situation (wedding, me moving, me in between jobs) it's just not possible.  :-(  Boo hoo, for me!  :-( 

Oh, well, there are worse things in the world, right?  At least this guy had insurance and bothered to enter the church to find out who's car it was.  He could have been a jerk and just drove off without reporting the accident.  That would have REALLY sucked!  

In the end, I'm really fortunate and I do count myself lucky.  :-)  Maybe it's the Bride-to-be in me that's making me so greedy to want a car that's not affordable.  :-)

I'm going car shopping on Friday and hopefully I can find something that I like and am able to put $1000 down to hold the car until the settlement check comes in.  :-)  Thanks for all the advice and suggestions on cars.  I really do appreciate it!  :-)

I Love my Peter Pete Pete

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine