The UN-ROMANTIC HUSBAND CLUB

Online Users: 1,338 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 202

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Re: The UN-ROMANTIC HUSBAND CLUB
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I could get FH to go to the park, he'd whine about it, but eventually he'd come around and realize that hey' this isn't really that bad. This is usually what happens when I make plans that are out of the normal for him (i.e. it doesn't involve the rifle range, gander mountain, or his brother's place). Cleaning....he did happen to get a wild hair up his rear the other day and picked up the living room, slightly. That still leaves everything else to me, and it will eventually include him when I complain (he's also avoiding the kitchen where the "to-do" list is hanging).
Romance as a whole?? I'll give you some insight. For valentine's day last year I said that it would be nice to go somewhere nice for dinner. He drew a blank, literally. So I asked would you like me to just give you a list with several options and phone numbers of places I'd like to go? Yeah, that's how we went to dinner. Hell, I took him to Niagara Falls for his birthday last year and he picks dinner from a list. I'm hoping out 3 year anniversary next month will be a little more spontaneous! :)

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 8:55 AM Go to message in response to: MrsDeLouis

I am so glad there is a thread for this! I just want to mention that after about 3 years of flower free valentines days/anniversaries I finally said something to my husband. Now granted my exact comment was "i'm not asking for much...just 2 stupid flowers in a vase or something" Well he took that literally and on the very Next Valentines day he presents to me EXACTLY two flowers in a vase (with price tag still attached) and says "here's your 2 stupid flowers" I had to laugh because TECHNICALLY he did what I asked him to do...i explained later that I didn't literally mean "2" flowers....he could have gotten anything.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Men can be so clueless! I know exactly what you guys are talking about. FH will take me places but I have to choose them and it is like pulling teeth to get him to come up with an idea that is not dinner or a movie. We have some nice shows or plays or even concerts in our area but we never go to any of them. It gets a little boring. LOL.
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: brownegirl

DPN thats hilarious, heres your 2 stupid flowers lol. Ah men....
Heres my latest story of my big dumb unromantic hubby ....
(he knows I call him bigdumbguy sometimes, so its all good lol)...

We live a few minutes outside NYC in Jersey and we have a gorgeous view on our street of the city skyline. You can walk a couple miles down our road and have this view, its awesome. There are parks and stuff all around where they often hold free events in summer. So, every Friday this month, they are having a Friday night Jazz music under the stars and a free movie. This friday is the Dark Knight... its free, and people can bring blankets , chairs to sit on, have a picnic, bring wine,whatever. You know, ROMANTIC??!!! Well this is the conversation we had yesterday about me wanting to maybe go to this tonight with him:

Me: So they are having those free live jazz and movie nights at the park across the street,thats really cool.

Him: Yup.

Me: We should go.

Him: Why?

Me: Because it would be FUN. And its right there, across the street. and its free.

Him: We already saw The Dark Knight.

Me: Okay, well we dont have to stay for the whole thing, but Id like to hang out and hear some Jazz music and sit under the stars.

Him: We can stay inside and be cool and listen to all the jazz cds we want HERE, without all the annoying people around us.

Me: this is LIVE music, you love live music. Its RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET, it couldnt be simpler. We dont have to get on a bus or a trian or drive anywhere, and its free. Jesus Christ it could be romantic!!!

Him: I guess. Ill go, I just dont see the point of it.

Me: the POINT of it is so that we are DOING SOMETHING instaed of sitting in here staring at each other all damn day every day. Its a new location, a new atmosphere, and good music and we can bring some food out there and just hang out together without a tv in front of us or computer...

Him: Alright.

So I guess we are going.... but Im sure itll be a nightmare or when he gets home from work tonight he will be tired and wont wanna go lol. Heis SUCH a pain in the ass sometimes, like achild. Once I GET him to DO stuff, hes fine, he enjoys it. has fun etc. But getting him to do things is like pulling teeth, and him planning anything at all.... well, forget it. Wont happen.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Sorry, Kelley, I haven't checked this thread in a few days. We both made the picnic together. :) And the bottle of wine was from a winery that we toured last year in Niagara on the Lake. We bought it then for our anniversary.

The first time I wanted to take him to Shakespeare in the Park he thought it was going to be kind of gay. He enjoyed it so much, though, that we ended up going to the 2nd play that year as well, and we've gone every year since. I think he looks forward to it as much as I do.

Your conversation with DH about the jazz concert cracked me up, and DPN I LOVE your 2 flowers in a vase. HA! Men can be so literal sometimes, can't they?

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Now that we are married, I officially have an un-romantic husband. We don't do anything unless I plan it or bug him until he plans it. I have not gotten flowers since we got engaged (3 years ago!). I planned our wedding night (hotel, made dinner reservations). I wish DH was just unromantic, but I had to bug him for a month to even trim the cat's nails because he was scratching me by accident because they were so long. I do all of the housework (he can't even unload the dishwasher unless I ask him to at least 2 times or just get up to do it- THEN he's like "I was gonna do it"- When? Next week?).

Oh and I do drop hints. I'll casually mention something more than once and he still doesn't get it. "Oh, look, the paper says that blank is playing at the playhouse. That sounds great." "Wow, I saw an ad for same blank on TV today, It looks really good." Nada.

But I wouldn't trade my DH for anyone.

A Note: He did write the most romantic card to me for our wedding.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Anyone have the problem where you will spend hours getting ready to go out and look like a million bucks and you say to hubby "How do I look" and he says "good" Good? are you effing serious? I started with getting the hair lasered off my legs and bikini which the pain is compairable to getting snapped by a million rubber bands and someone pouring scalding water on you at the same time, I had the hairs plucked out of my eyebrows....slaved over a flat iron, painted my face with the same professionalism Van Gogh used, put on your favorite perume and I look "good"? At that point it makes you just want to go to bed!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

DPN, usally when I get all gussied up, I will get either Honey you smell nice, or You look nice honey.

Kelley, if I ever asked DH to go listen to music/movie/play at one of our local parks, I would get similiar answers or actually excuses, they would consist of: it's too muggy, buggy, late, etc;
me suggest taking food with us..excuse....the food will go bad (he's a germophobic) & he doesn't like vendor food!

Posted: Jul 17, 2009 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

DPN: I was actually watching The View this morning (dont ask why, I normally hate that show lol) and Joy Behar was talking about that exact same thing ---she worded it soooo funny I actually laughed out loud. She was saying that she will get all ready and dressed up and take time to do so, and she will say to her husband How do I look? And his answer is always the same, "you look fine." She said "Him telling me I look fine is the WORST thing he could possibly say. Fine? Its like saying, you look acceptable, its sufficient. " Then she talked about how when a BLACK man says " you look FINE!!!!" its totally different and awesome and has that tone to it, like, you look SEXXXYY...but when her white hubby says it its just "you look fine." lol.

My husband actualyl does say "you look beautiful" when I DO dress up for a wedding or something like that, its just rarely that we go out and do things like that!!! So Im hardly ever dressed up because we never do much that requires it.

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

so since noone read my last message ill reply to myself lol. So we ended up going to that free movie/live music Fridays across the street at the park, and heres what happened:

We get there, lay out a blanket and sit on it, and get comfy, a bit romantic maybe, arms around each other, etc...
Live music is playing, its a jazz type band, pretty good...

About 15minutes go by. Silence, then.....

Him: Im hot. Its hot out here. Is that long enough? Can we go now?
Me: Seriously?
Him:Yeah, its hot, and we are missing the Yankee game. We could be comfortable inside with the AC on.
Me: We have been out here for FIFTEEN minutes!
Him: I know. And now Im done. Please?
Me: Sigh. Alright.

And we left. Really romantic huh? lol.

But on the way inside there was an ice cream truck and he bought us ice cream cones which was sort of cute. lol. He said "you want ice cream? Ill get us ice cream okay? " I think that was his way of trying to make up for not staying outside. bribing me with food. hell, it worked.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, was he bitching and complaing while getting ready to go & getting there? I know mine would...and he would be bitchng & complaining for those 15 minutes too!

We did something somewhat romantic Saturday night. We went for our "after dinner walk" and I had mentioned earlier in the day that I wanted ice cream (the stand is right up the street from us). So we get into our walk and the conversation goes like this:

him: Which way to do you want to go.
me: Let's take a left
him: But you want to go for ice cream and you really should have it earlier than later
me: but if take the right, then we're really not getting a walk in and I can walk up the street when we got done with our walk
him But, it's not good for you to have ice cream late....and we headed for the ice cream stand.

So we're standing in line and I decided that I would get nofat frozen yougart...

Me: This is good do you want to try it....
him: wellllll....okay and he takes a taste.
Me: We c an share this one (he didn't want one)
him: well....it's yours....maybe I will get one, but I don't want a cone
Me: well get it in a dish....

Now we get ready go home..

him: lets cross the street and avoid the stinky house (there is a house near us that smells like cat pee)
Me: okay.....and since it was only a short distance to the icream stand, I wanted to linger our walk & eat our ice cream.....so I had him walking longer than normal.

Eating ice cream on a humid night with my UNromantic husband was kinda romantic (for us anyways).

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

lol Yeah me too Linnben, thats abotu as romantic as it gets with us, eatign ice cream on a humid night when I know DH would rather be inside watchin the Yankees. So thats why when he said lets get ice cream, it was kind of cute for him. We did stay outside and sat ona bench eating it before going back in. It was funny cuz he said "I think I did pretty good... I didnt think Id last that long out there" and he was serious. I just gave him a dry stare and again said "it was 15minutes." he said "yeah I know...15minutes. thats pretty good." lol.

No, he didnt complain or whine while out there, or while getting ready to go really. Thats what made it funny. It was like he was doing all he could to stay silent and TRY to humor me, but at the 15min mark, he simply coudnt take it anymore and HAD to start the whining lol.

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

DoesntPlayNice - How about this? I shave, I moisturize, I get my hair just right, pile on the make up, squeeze my butt in to hosery, wear the most uncomfortable fundies, put pasties on, squeeze in that ultra hot dress, and stagger out of the room in those heels only to see hubby sitting on the couch and waiting. What's he wearing? A black t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a pair of flip flops.

I love him but geez he doesn't get it sometimes!

Happily married since 8.18.06!

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Here ye,here ye, it is time for another meeting of the UNROMANTIC husbands club. If you would like to be a member, please read my opening / first post in this thread to see if you qualify.

Well, Valentines Day just passed,and its the perfect time for all us girls with unromantics in our lives to vent about what he didnt do lol.

This year, my hubs and I actually took part in the marriage proposal of my best friend John. We all wrote a little play and the end of the play was John proposing.... it was so cute. So we spent our Vday with 6 close friends congrtulating and celebrating the new engagement of our dear freinds....

I got dh a nice card and some of his favorite candy,and in the card wrote that I would plan our next romantic date and surrpise him (how is this different than any other day,you ask? It isnt...I ALWAYS do the planning lol)

What did he give me/? NOthing. Nada. Cliamed he didnt have time to go to the store. in his defense, yesterday he did run up to store and got me a card and some truffles. nice card too. but no flowers. he said "they didnt look good." I said "thats because you waited ...they are all old now. "

God forbif he ORDER flowers for me ever lol. I think id faint if THAT ever happened.

Anyone else have a nonromantic Vday?

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Oh Kelley, your hubby really really needs to suck up to you now!!!

We went out to dinner Saturday night, I tried to make to romantic, but just annoyed with him, and just enjoyed my dinner, then we went home to watch a movie, I ended up falling asleep, and guess what he did while I was sleeping.....he went on the computer......sigh......then when we went to bed we went on our sides of the bed and that was it, no cuddling, snuggling, etc!!

Oh yeah, I watched the proposal on your FB page, that was really super sweet, congrats to your friends.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine