BC recommendations?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
BC recommendations?
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 2:15 PM

Hello Ladies,

I'm going to the Gyno for the first time next month (would have gone in recent months, however there was this whole deal with my insurance that prevented me from being able to go before).

Anyway, I'd like to get put on birth control, as FH and I don't want kids anytime soon - he'd like be more fiancially stable in his job (he's getting promoted to fulltime supervisor after the first of the year) and we'd prefer to have a house and be 'settled'. So we're talking at least 2-3 years probably.

I was originally thinking about getting the 3 month shot, but after reading on here about some of the side effects that some women have experienced with it, I'm not so sure I want to go that route. FH doesn't want me to get the shot either, as he knows at least 3 people at work who have gotten pregnant while on it. 

Neither one of us wants me taking the pill, as we don't trust I'll remember to take it the same time every day.

I'm not really fond of the ring, although I've heard mixed reviews on that one.

One of my bridesmaids had suggested a copper IUD. She said her sister had that put in before she got married and that there's no real side effects to it, and you get your period like normal and that you just check for the cord every month after your period to make sure it's still in place. She said it's outpatient surgery so they just put it in right there at the doctor's office and it's good for 10 years. She said if her sister decides to have kids, the doctor can take it out in 5 minutes.  This one sounds like a viable option, however they say if you haven't given birth before, it's more likely to fall out once or so during the first year.

What are you ladies thoughts? Would I best to get an IUD? 

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Re: BC recommendations?
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

TheFutureMrsJ - I reccomment the ring to EVERYONE I know. Even if you just TRY it. I was on pills for a good couple of years and had the most horrible time with it. I'm not a believer of NOT having a period so there's no way I would get a shot or anything like that. It's all preference though. Anything you want to know about the ring and how it affected me, feel free to ask!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

SoontobeMrsMorris Posts : 35 Registered: 8/16/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

TheFutureMrsJ

I recomend the IUD I dont have the copper one I have the Mederma or somthing like that. I love it you dont have to worry about taking a pill and it is good for 5 years and if you decide before that the Doctor can take it out and you can get pregnate the next day. They say that it is the most accurate form of bc on the market today. im not sure about the copper one though my doctor didnt reccomend it.

Hope that helps;)

NewMrsSass Posts : 722 Registered: 12/31/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

Hello ladies! I dont know a lot about BC because I dont like going to the doctor so I have always given up when one doesn't work well for me, but I thoguht I would join in hopes of also finding something I can use.

I was on the pill a couple times and the harmones made me feel (phsychologically) bad-anxious, emotional, etc. Your doc should let your try as many different options as you need until you find one you are comfortable with, she should want to monitor you anyways and if you are not repsonding well she will help you find one that "fits". Like I said I HATE going to the doc, so I never tried more than one type of BC, but many of friends have been back and forth on couple different hormonal BC's.

Right now I track my cycle and we use condoms since hormones dont agree with me. What are some of the side effects of IUD's? Cant IUD's cause cervical problems?  Also, someone mentioned something about IUD's not being a good choice for women who have never had a child, have those of you who use IUD's ever had a child?

Sorry to hyjack the thread, OP. Good luck at the Doc! 

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

-Dr Seuss

Joce Posts : 290 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: deansbride

I totally recommend the Ring!!!

I was a Pill girl for years, then FH and I had a scare when i forgot the pills while on vacation/condom broke.  Never again.

Have been using the Ring for about 2 years now, and would never ever go to anything else!!!

love4greys Posts : 396 Registered: 1/22/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I have been on the Patch for eight years and love it.  I've never had any side effects from it.  I hate taking pills and would forget all the time and didn't want the shot so my doc prescribed me the patch.  Now, after saying that, a friend of mine just went on the patch and had shortness of breath after a few days of having it on and had to stop. 

The important thing is to discuss with your doctor what you are looking for and the two of you to decide together what will be the best method for you.  Good Luck!

Brookitacita Posts : 59 Registered: 12/4/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I've decided that BC just sucks! One way or another, it has side effects.

DH and I just used condoms for a while -- and we did have some scares with breakages (plus generally only 89% effective), but also we both find it a little uncomfortable (we've tried many kinds).

I tried two different kinds of pills. I was on Yasmin for about a year. The first two weeks I cried EVERY night and I couldn't figure out why. It generally made me manic-depressive and much more emotional. Eventually I realized this and went off it for a few months (condom months). The first two weeks without it had the same effect on me. Then I switched to some generic brand. It was a lower dose of hormones, so I felt a little better, but I still had major mood swings. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with some of the weight I gained when I started the pill since that coincided with other life changes. I decided I wasn't willing to experiment with any more pills because the emotional side effects interfered too much.

I took a human sexuality class at school and learned all about BC. I decided the IUD seemed like the best option as well. However, my doctor told me that she thought chances were slim of me being approved since I had no children, was young, and unmarried -- though at the time I was only a few months away from getting married. The IUD puts you at increased risk for HPV I believe, which is why they want you to be married -- i.e. in a monogamous relationship. I was rather insulted by this since DH was my first, my last, my only and my doctor made me feel like some sort of whore. But I would like to try an IUD. I'm changing doctors so I think I will ask the new one about it -- after all, I'm married now! It seems unfair about the never had kids thing -- I want this thing so that I DON'T have kids!

Currently, I'm on the ring. Pros and cons. It's definitely better than the pill. I feel less emotional side effects (since the hormones are localized and don't travel through your entire body and have to pass through your liver like with the pill). It's easier to remember as well. Once ever 3 weeks is pretty simple. Cons: DH and I both notice its presence during intercourse, in a not-so-comfortable way. Sometimes it's more noticeable than others (I guess depending on where it ends up), but DH feels a little irritation and so do I. Just recently we decided to start taking it out for intercourse and that helped a lot. The drawback to that is making sure you remember to put it back if you are constantly spontaneously removing it. It can be left out safely for up to three hours a day.

As everyone has said, the side effects associated with the patch and the shot have now been shown to be so unhealthy that many doctors aren't even offering these methods anymore.

Talk to your doctor about an IUD or the ring. I would recommend at least trying to ring. My doctor told me that I shouldn't notice it and that most men either don't notice it or they find it pleasurable. So, I'm letting you know that we DO notice it and DH does NOT find it pleasurable, but it's not bad enough to stop us from doing it. Just some mild irritation. Obviously not everyone feels the same way, so it's worth a try. I'm currently finding it to be the least of the evils.

Good luck!

Belle1154 Posts : 235 Registered: 11/2/06
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I recommend the ring definitely.  I too would suck at taking something once a day and would probably be pregnant by now haha.  The ring is easy to insert (kinda like a tampon) and once it is in, you don't notice it is there.  Unlike pp, DH and I have never noticed it during sex, so it must depend on the couple's bodies.  I also havent noticed any side effects.  I just make sure to set a timer in my phone for when it needs to come out and when I need to put a new one in and life is good!

But I also agree with PPs in that you should talk to your doctor.  BC is so different for everyone.  My roommate was on one pill for a while and she was an emotional wreck and then she switch and was normal...depends on the person. 

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine..."

Happily married since April19, 2008

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: Belle1154

Got another ring girl here!  I love it!  I've been on it for over a year and it's great.  This may be TMI but I do get yeast infections now which I never did before.  I get one every month the week before my period.  It has something to do with the ph changing just before my period.  Now that I know that I take Diflucan (I think that's the name) that week before and I don't get one.  It's listed as a side effect and scared the crap out of me the the first time.  That being said I suck at remembering things and this seals the deal.

FH and I also both have some discomfort like PP said.  So I just take it out when we have sex and put it right back in after.  No issues, no scares.  My periods have never been lighter and more comfortable!

I think you can go to nuvaring.com and they have this nifty little timer thing that you can get for free.  It let's you know when to change it out.  The other nice thing is that you can arrange it so you skip periods.  For instance, I am supposed to have my period ON my wedding day.  But I'm just going to keep it in for the extra week and ta-da no period.  Maybe some spotting but I can deal.  You just cahnge it on the 4th week instead of the 3rd.

Good Luck!

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: MrsPaul

thanks for all the suggestions ladies!

one thing i should have mentioned, FH and I currently used condoms (or rather, we did - we're currently trying to abstain for the last 2 months before the big day). we use the thin trojens the with lub and spermicide in them, however we decided that once we're married we'd rather not use that form anymore, as we'd both prefer skin on skin, rather than latex between us.  

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Alright, I hate to burst anyone's bubble... and I'm not saying that people's opinions don't matter.  I think that getting someone's opinion (like how easy it is to use) is a great idea.  BUT I just don't think that anyone here should be giving medical advice. I just came from my regular ob-gyn exam and got some great information.  If you're having problems with health-insurance go to your health clinic in town or a free clinic.  But I say this in complete honesty, here is not the correct way to get medical advice. Talk to your doctor.  They will take blood pressure, past histories, all those things in to consideration.

Also, here's the other thing: there is NO such thing as a perfect method. They all have side effects for some people, and taking a poll isn't going to get you an accurate portrayal of how the drug might affect you. There is always going to be someone who stands up and says "That didn't work for me! IT sucked" and then someone who says "I love it! Go with this method!" about the same method.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be a lecture... i just thought it needed to be said...

Best of luck finding the perfect method! 

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Soon2BMrsPaul - I use the ring too. I'd recommend putting in a new ring the week you're supposed to have your period rather than leaving the ring in for an extra week. Or you can look it up and see what it says to say.

TheFutureMrsJ - Good luck on your switch. Sounds like you already have an idea on what you think you'll be doing.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I strongly suggest NOT going on the Depo shot if you've never used hormonal birth control.  It's a minimum 3-4 month commitment, and once you take it, if you have side effects, you just have to let it take its course.

IUDs (copper or the new hormonal one -talk to your doc about what might be best for you) are excellent methods of birth control for long term planning -say 3-5 years. 

Remember that every woman is different, and not every method is best for each person.

Extra points to your FH for being willing to sit down and TALK about your reproductive health and the various options.  It's truly something that many men don't -or won't- do.

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

DCTexan Posts : 170 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: Pamlin

Ok, there's been a lot of disinformation about the Depo shot on here.  First, it is absolutely safe for use.  Someone mentioned that doctors are not even using this method anymore.  Absolutely false.  I have been on Depo for over two years now and I LOVE it.

It is true that Depo can reduce your bone density.  That is why my doctor prescribed Viactiv chews for me.  I take two calcium and vitamin D enhanced chews a day and I am covered.  Every two years I do a bone density scan to make sure that my bones are ok.  So far so good.

Also, some people worry about the fact that you don't get your period on Depo.  This is not a medical concern.  Your period is only useful if you are trying to have a baby.  What happens is when you ovulate, your uterus responds by building a lining to make a nice home for a potential baby.  When you don't conceive that month, the lining is shed.  If you never ovulate (which is what Depo prevents), then your uterus never builds the lining, so there is nothing to shed.

Finally, in response to the IUD debate, it is not just that doctors don't want to give you an IUD if you haven't had a child.  It is that your uterus might not be able to handle it.  After you've had a baby your uterus is expanded.  Before then, it is difficult (but not impossible) for your uterus to hold the IUD comfortably and effectively.  It has nothing to do with a moral judgment about your life's goals.

Sorry for the long post.  I just had to clear a few things up.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine