Wedding gown styles

Online Users: 1,258 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

weddingfan Posts : 3 Registered: 3/28/06
Wedding gown styles
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 11:02 PM

I've been a reader and subscriber of Brides and Modern Bride for over 20 years as well as having been a wedding photographer.   In the 70's  and early 80's  bridal gowns were really beautiful with very full circle skirts of tiered lace or organza or tulle.  They were really ornate and made very nice photos.   But in the last few years both in the magazines and in real life the gowns most brides wear are more like sheaths  or if they have a full skirt the gowns are just plain looking.   I miss the older styles and would like to see them return. A woman, as a bride, is more beautiful in a way they cannot be at any other  time.   Those styles of  the prior decades really enhanced that.  Will those styles ever return?

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Re: Wedding gown styles
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

So basically you're telling us that our dresses are plain or that we aren't dressing up enough? That we don't look as good as we could if we wore our mothers' gowns? You're asking me to dress up in some big gown with organza and tulle rather than be the beautiful simple self that my DH fell in love with? I think the bride and groom should be the showcase at a wedding, not the bride's dress. Same for the pictures. Sorry, this just rubbed me wrong. I loved my sheath and the gorgeous mermaid style my cousin picked for her wedding.

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

Weddingfan, elements of the styles you are yearning for are already here; they're infused in today's bridal designs.  Remember that fashion is a revolving door and nothing is ever really out.  I just had to say though.  I don't think bridal gowns of the early 80s are anything to rave about.  I think today's gowns are just as ornate and fancy, but without all the extra "fuss."  Besides, while it is true that a lot of the dress photos found in today's wedding magazines are slimmer, it isn't necessarily the case that brides are actually wearing them.  There are a good number of brides that are still wearing the fancy, full-skirted attire.  Like any fashion magazine, the fashion in bridal magazines are usually runway inspired and often don't find its way to someone's wedding day (I'm talking about all those fancy coutour dresses...typically towards the middle and end of the mags).  I myself wore an intricately beaded mermaid style gown, but it is by no means a plain gown.  Besides, I thought it photographed just divinely.  Why wear a busy gown that will only suffocate the photos...isn't the bride supposed to be the star??? 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

In the 70's  and early 80's  bridal gowns were really beautiful with very full circle skirts of tiered lace or organza or tulle.  They were really ornate .  . . Will those styles ever return?

Good Lord, I hope not!!

weddingfan Posts : 3 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

LinzZ:   It only rubbed you the wrong way because you wanted it to and you missed the main point entirely.

Whittington1979 Posts : 52 Registered: 6/13/06
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

I Hope NOT!!!!!!!!!

The 1970's

1970's pattern w/ the high neck

Need i say more?

062808 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

Hello.  I am new here and was wondering if anyone could answer my question.  Why is the most recent season on this website's wedding dresses fall 2007?  It also lists 2006.  Am  I missing something here?  Anyway, to reply to this post......I agree with the majority here, it's not about the gown, it's all about the celebration and I think my fiance would only appreciate his bride as "me" not a powder puff ....no offense weddingfan xoxo.

Smile

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: Whittington1979

I'll add to the chaos. 

Oh God no

And the mother of all friggin dresses!  The BM DRESSES!!!!  Who wants to go back to the 80s now?

Here are some of those "darling" ruffles

For the rest of this HOT MESS 80s flashback click here  http://www.peopleweddings.org/bridesmaids/index.html  I almost peed myself.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Mushaboo, I almost died from laughter...these poor women...thank goodness for poof-free, ruffle-free dresses.  Dear goodness, you can go camping in those sleeves :D 

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:40 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

Yepo, I think we hijacked the thread by posting pics but seriously!!!!!  Camping in the sleeves????  LMAO!  That's a good one. 

No thank you, OP.  I'm sure that the era represents something wonderful to you.  I respect that.  I'm glad to have my plain dress.  I think FH and I would elope if I had to wear an 80s gown.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

You make it sound as if I'm looking to pick a fight. I am not. I just find it odd that someone would come onto a forum of modern day brides and talk about how plain dresses are today and how sad you are to see the sheaths that so many brides are wearing these days (guess, what? many of us here are wearing them, you're picking on our gowns). I really meant what I said that I don't understand how you can make comments about how the dresses with the fluff and ruffles and layers make a bride her most beautiful after just saying ours were plain. In effect, you said we don't look as beautiful.

My mother in 1982:

mom and dad

mom and bridesmaids

Me- 2006:

me

me

I had more lace than my mother. My aunt wore and all lace sheath in 1980 only hers came all the way up to her neck with a ruffle and long lace sleeves. So give me some sleeves and a turtle neck and we're looking at the same dress. I take that back. She had an oddly high, unflattering waist line. Kind of like my mom's bridesmaids.

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

Serena2013 Posts : 8 Registered: 10/27/13
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

I can't agree with you more. But time moves on and fashion changes. A long full skirt wedding dress is classical, but the look sometimes doesn't go together with modern wedding venues.I love vintage wedding dress styles because they are like an ancient dream to me, and don't see them often. Although I love them better, I won't choose an old wedding dress style. I would like to buy wedding dresses here.
http://www.andytailor.com/modern-wedding-dresses-c-71_82/

Lubluee Posts : 7 Registered: 10/27/13
Posted: Oct 28, 2013 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: weddingfan

In my opinion, they will not return. In the modern world, people are always looking for the fashionable dress which is sexy and popular.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine