Southern Bridal Registry - wtf?

Online Users: 1,304 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

futuremrsmason Posts : 239 Registered: 3/21/08
Southern Bridal Registry - wtf?
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 11:54 AM

Has anyone received a call from them? I had one yesterday, which went to my voicemail because I chronically screen calls, especially when I am at work.
The woman left her name, a number (888-267-7918 ), and said someone had registered me and I had one two toasting flutes and another gift. I was told to call back between the hours of 9-5, and was also given her extension.

I looked the number up online, and it just so happens its Southern Bridal registry, out of TN. Pretty much, from what I can ascertain, half the people think its a scam, the other half think its wonderful. From what I can tell (before calling, that is, trying to decide if I am going to...) They give you a shpeel, and to get the two "gifts" you have to attend their conference of kitchen gadgets and such, and then you receive them, whether you buy anything or not...
So, its like a Timeshare. Sort of.

Have any of you ladies heard of this? What do YOU think? I honestly don't have a huge preference, because if I call, I'm not out of anything, if I don't call, I'm still not out of anything...

Wedding Tickers and More From LifeTicker.com

AdorablePlanet.com AdorablePlanet.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Southern Bridal Registry - wtf?
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

It sounds like a scam to me. I've never gotten calls from anyone with that name, but I got a couple calls from a company called Simplicity Bridal that also identified themselves as Simplicity Cookware. They called the day after I had attended a bridal show and left a voicemail saying that I'd won a prize. Thinking it was a doorprize from one of the vendors, I called back. When I asked a few questions, however, I found out that I had not 'won' anything and that they had not even attended the bridal show. Again, it was a cookware demonstration...they told me that we both had to attend the demonstration and we'd 'win' a free weekend at a timeshare or something. If we bought something, we'd 'win' another vacation. Like many telemarketers, the lady spoke very quickly so that I couldn't hear the details (and was obviously reading from a script). When I started asking questions about the language she was using, she got flustered. I politely told her that I was not interested.

Later, I googled the company and got some mixed results. Some people had attended the seminar, bought the cookware and LOVED it...others ranted about it being a scam and told AWFUL stories about how they lost money or how they attended the seminar and did NOT get the 'free vacation.' The final straw (for me) with this company was when they called me again about a month later AT WORK. Now, I don't give out my work phone number often and I certainly hadn't written it on the bridal show signup sheet. They must have gotten my work number from one of the vendors that I was speaking to seriously. I did not let that one go easily - I demanded to know where they found my number, threatened the company with legal action if they contacted me again at ANY number, and then called the vendors at the bridal show (the ones I had given my work number to) and yelled at them for giving out my number. Of course, they all denied it, but how else would they have gotten my work number? Anyway, I never heard from the company again.

Personally, I'd avoid any 'come see our demonstration and we'll give you free stuff' presentations, since many are scams and you rarely get anything decent out of it. I might call and ask about the claim that 'someone had registered you' though...

DaisypathWedding Ticker

futuremrsmason Posts : 239 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

See, that is what I am unsure of. The only place that has my personal phone number is my venue and davids bridal (because I am meeting with them for a consultation in a few weeks). So, I want to know how they got my CELL PHONE number.

I think I'm going to call, and find out about who "registered" me... its a bit disturbing...
Wedding Tickers and More From LifeTicker.com

AdorablePlanet.com AdorablePlanet.com

crystalizeddreams Posts : 321 Registered: 10/18/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

I know for a FACT Davids Bridal gives or sells your information to other vendors. Im constantly getting calls from Tuxedo Junction and other places, that say they got my information from them. Im very pissed about it

I MARRY THE LOVE OF MY LIFE OCTOBER 4TH 2008!!

DANNY & LISA 10/04/08

crystalizeddreams Posts : 321 Registered: 10/18/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

I know for a FACT Davids Bridal gives or sells your information to other vendors. Im constantly getting calls from Tuxedo Junction and other places, that say they got my information from them. Im very pissed about it

I MARRY THE LOVE OF MY LIFE OCTOBER 4TH 2008!!

DANNY & LISA 10/04/08

Lorilee Posts : 437 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I got something similiar, Art. Only my fiance and I were told that we needed to pick up our trip, and weren't told it was even a demonstration. And then, then, once we were there, we had to sit through the demo, before leaving. We thought we were going to go on a trip; I'd read good things about the travel agency.

Guess again!

We never even went, or got anything.

And, yes, David's Bridal does sell your information. They've stopped with mine after I threatened legal action, and after I screamed at them for staining my gown, and then trying to say that I had done it, even though it was still in the bag, and hadn't been worn since the last time I was in their shop.

Lori & Bob
October 11, 2008

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

TheNewMrsTLC Posts : 84 Registered: 6/9/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

The seminar for Simplicy Gourmet isn't as terrible as it sounds, we didnt' purchase anything to get our 3day 2 night package. We're still deciding on whether or not to use it for part of our honeymoon..esp when we'd only have to pay $50 for the taxes from the place(s) they had for options..Cookware seemed pretty cool but WAY overpriced..Just thought I'd give my input :)
Future Mrs. TLC

takenotelady Posts : 2 Registered: 7/15/08
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsTLC

Is this the same as Southern Bridal Registry? I didn't buy anything, and I have the paperwork for the free vacation, but I am afraid to book my honeymoon with them if it is a scam. Does anyone else have any information, or has anyone else actually had a successful honeymoon using the Southern Bridal Registry's vacation package?

Thanks!! Laughing

takenotelady Posts : 2 Registered: 7/15/08
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

I received a call from them, went to the show, and did not buy anything. I  have the paperwork for the honeymoon, but there are no phone numbers provided. There is only an address you are supposed to send some things in to. I don't want to bank on this working, and then have no honeymoon plans. Have you recieved any information other than what is posted on here?

Thanks!

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: takenotelady

It is HUGE on Ripoff.com boards. I get calls from them all the time and I know David's Bridal gave out my number (my cell number). I also get tons of junk mail now. I really regret registering on that website.

I also hate that they called twice a day for two weeks and never left a message. I picked up once and got the hard sell right away. 

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

nodoubtchick Posts : 1 Registered: 11/2/12
Posted: Nov 2, 2012 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsmason

I will just take a few moments to expalin what I know about their company. I did work for them a few years ago. They are a registry company. They do sell cookware and other kitchen items. I do know all their products are high quality, but that does come with a price. You get what you pay for. If you want high quality then you have to pay a little more for it. About the shows, you do not have to purchase anything to recieve what they say you have won. You will recieve that as long as you attend the whole show. They were giving away honeymoon accomidations when I worked there, I dont know what they are giving away now. You dont get anything for free....thats just life. You attend their show and check out their products, then you will recieve your free gifts. You get something and they get your attention for an hour. Its a win/win situation.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine