Wearing the same dress

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

jenn1105 Posts : 2 Registered: 6/20/08
Wearing the same dress
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 1:45 AM

One of my friends recently got married - and I absolutely LOVED her wedding dress. I won't be married for another year but is it bad if I wear the same dress (style) for my own wedding? Would you mind if someone else wears the same style dress as you did?

Message was edited by: jenn1105

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Wearing the same dress
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

So many dresses are the same style.  I mean really, how many brides out there are married in a strapless a-line gown?  I think if you had the exact same dress, your friend might feel weird about that, but as long as it's not identical I can't see where it would make a bit of difference.  Just keep in mind that the style that looked great on your friend may or may not look as great on you.

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

It's probably wrong to feel this way, but personally I'd be a little offended if I went to my friend's wedding and she was wearing the EXACT same dress as me. I think because my dress choice was a big one, and it represented who I was as a person, so if someone wore the same one, it would feel like they cheated. I don't know why, but that's my honest opinion of what my reaction would be. 

Maybe you could go to dress stores and find something similar to it? Sorry if this bursts your bubble... just trying to be honest.

:) 

When is my wedding
SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://www.josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer/

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

Wow, maybe it's just me but I think it'd be GREAT if a friend of mine wore my dress! Of course I say that though, I wore my husband's cousin's dress. So I really DID wear someone else's EXACT dress. But I think it's not only flattering but almost honoring!

But of course this is just my opinion. I'd say look around first because although you fell in love with the dress on HER, you might not fall in love with it on YOU. Or you might even find a better one!!! Just give other dresses a chance, there are sooooo many out there for everyone!

Good luck and congrats!

Mrs. Pinky

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

I got married November last year, and I LOVE my dress.  I know that everyone says that, but I really love my dress.  It was incredibly simple, with easy details that just brought out ME.  I've seen no other dress like it, although I've seen other similar dresses worn by brides that look completely unique to them.

If my friend wantetd to wear my same dress, I'd love it.  Now, at first it would seem weird, but the truth is, the bride should make the dress, not the other way around.  I don't think that any dress should look the same on two people, and if they do, then it's because it's the wrong dress for both of them (in my opinion).  I wouldn't assume that you love that dress until you try it on, because it might not have the effect that you think it will.  However, if you do try it on, and it looks fantastic, then I wouldn't worry about it.  If my friend wanted to wear my dress, and it looked beautiful on her, then I would want her to have it.  In fact, she could have mine (at a reduced price, of course).

Good luck. 

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I'm with mrspinky and MrsD on this one.  I wouldn't mind AT ALL if someone wore the exact dress as mine.  It would make me feel good knowing that someone thought my dress was so beautiful that they wanted to wear one just like it.  I truly don't understand the whole "she copied me" thing.  That line of thinking is so sophomoric in my opinion.
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Married 4/21/08 at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

luvualways02 Posts : 308 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

I was talking to one of my aunts the other day and she asked what my dress was going to look like, so I showed her a picture. Her daughter (my cousin) is getting married 6 months before me and she said that she is going to get a dress that looks almost identical to mine. We have a huge family and everyone is invited of course, but it doesnt bother either one of us that they will see similar dresses because most likely they wont remember what her dress looked like. Our dresses look great on us and we are very excited about wearing them on our wedding day.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

I would go similar, not exactly the same. Unless, of course, you could borrow your friend's dress and she would be thrilled to lend/sell it to you.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I have to agree with IHeartWeddings -it's probably small and churlish of me, but I'd rather my friend didn't wear the exact same dress as me. I also think that it's quite a personal thing that I put a lot of myself into. I know it sounds mean, because really the friend is paying you a huge compliment! But while I'd love for her to copy the STYLE, I would feel a bit weird if it was the exact same dress. Also, won't the guests make comments?

My mom gave her gown to my aunt, who got married in it not long after, and this didn't bother her! But then she bought it second hand and sold it on after my aunt was done with it. She didn't really care about that dress much! Of course, this is the same woman who favours practicality over romance to the extent that she asked my Dad to buy her an engagement record player instead of an engagement ring. I kid you not. (They still use it, too!)

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

That's nothing, one of my bridesmaids was in a wedding and the bride choose to have her husband buy her a VERY expensive Vera Wang wedding dress instead of a wedding ring!!!

Mrs. Pinky

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Haha! Well, at least it was wedding-related!

I wonder if she wishes now that she had a ring, though.

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

I doubt it. I'll have to ask though. I know I'd rather wear I dress I owned than not have a wedding ring!!!

Mrs. Pinky

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: jenn1105

I would not mind because I bought my dress in a boutique and it was not custom made.  The whole "she is wearing my dress" thing is played.  Just make sure the dress has that WOW factor on you!  Good luck and congrats!!

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I agree with a PP. You loved it on her, you might not love it on you. Shop around and if you still come back to that dress then it's meant to be. I'd definately talk to your friend, and go for similar if you can vs. identical.

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: kroberts

One of my BMs got married last year, and our dresses are very similar in style, but they are also very different. I bought mine right before her wedding, and given that we're in different states, I had no idea what her dress looked like. So I didn't find out until the wedding, but it's all good--they're different enought that it doesn't matter.

Our Wedding Website: www.mywedding.com/chrisandryanne

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine