decorating the head,cake,guest sign in and gift table

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

fantasybride Posts : 16 Registered: 4/20/08
decorating the head,cake,guest sign in and gift table
Posted: May 4, 2008 7:43 PM

I'm a bride on a budget and I have been planning this wedding without the help of a planner. Since this is my second wedding I know how to cut certain costs and so far I'm doing a great job. However there is one area that I haven't taken care of and my wedding is in July. My MIL has taken care of making the centerpieces for the guests tables, however need to decorate four more tables that include the head, cake, gift and sign in table. I need some decorating ideas that are elegant, beautiful and affordable for the do it yourself bride. My colors are ivory, light blue and silver and I'm using roses and calla lilies for my theme.Im also having an outside wedding with a reception in an all white tent.  please help 
"Life is a journey, not a destination"

MrsBiery Posts : 56 Registered: 6/8/07
Re: decorating the head,cake,guest sign in and gift table
Posted: May 4, 2008 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

Here is a good place to go...Oriental Trading, http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=home.jsp&event=catalog&categoryId=377344&tabId=PartySupplies

I am ordering a lot of things from there.  You can also get a free catalog and it has great ideas on how to arrange things that you buy.  The prices are low cost but they don't look it at all.  Also you can find a lot of things at various craft stores.   

MrsBiery2b

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 4, 2008 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

If you are having bridemaids, you could use their bouquets on the tables.  And as the PP said, oriental trading company has some great things on their site.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: May 4, 2008 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

Well, for the gift table, I don't really know that it will need any decoration other than a tablecloth...anything else you put on it will most likely end up obscurred as gifts are placed on the table anyway. 

The sign-in table is much the same, IMO.  Keep it a small table, again with a table cloth and then just just have the sign-in book and pen.  You could also have a photo of you and FH in a silver frame. 

For the cake table, let the cake be the center of attention, and maybe scatter some rose petals or single callas around the base of it.  If your reception is at night, never underestimate the power of a few well placed tealights. 

For the head table, I'd need some more information. Is it a sweetheart table, or will your bridal party be seated there as well?  What are you doing for centerpieces on the guest tables?

Hope this helped!

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: May 6, 2008 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

Thank you so much for the great ideas, I will use them. I like having a picture of us at the sign in table along with our guest book and pen. As for the cake table I have seen a lot of tables decorated with the petals surrounding it, this must be a sign that  I should follow the trend, I really want the focus to be on the cake. My reception is at night so the tea lights would work, Im thinking of placing an order for them from the oriental trading catalog, I had a chance to check that out, and I love what they have.My headtable willl have my bridal party and I was already using our bouquets, I just thought it needed something more but maybe it does't. I don't want to place to much so I will stick with simple. Thanks again everyone.

Posted: May 6, 2008 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: MrsBiery

Thanks MrsBiery2b looks like I will be placing an order from oriental trading as well. Saw there website love what they have to offer. Thanks a bunch.

MrsBiery Posts : 56 Registered: 6/8/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

No problem, I'm glad you liked the site.  I have ordered things from there before, and the quality is good for the price.  I know what it's like to be on a tight budget, so I try to help others when I can.  
MrsBiery2b

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2008 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

I'll be happy to send you pictures of ideas for simple decor for these areas. It's nice to use your centerpieces for inspiration and coordinate with those (e.g. same flowers, colors, petals, etc.) Candles always give you lots of bang for the buck, anywhere you use them. My only hesitation with tea lights is that they do not burn for a very long time (certainly not four hours, the length of most receptions). I recommend using votives instead--most will give you 8-12 hours.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: May 11, 2008 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: myra

I was wandering how long an led light would last, thanks for the heads up myra.

ZLTsaros Posts : 11 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

I am having a sweetheart table.  My bouquet is a cascade, and the florist will provide a table clip.  When we arrive at the reception, my bouquet will be clipped to the table and cascade down the front so I am getting more bang for my floral buck. I have three bridemaids and they will have handheld bouquets.  The florist is providing vases for them and I bought matching glass stones for the bottom (for weighting purposes).  My plan is to have them arranged on the gift table to provide a little color and not be in the way at their table.  For the place card table, I am buying an oversized champagne or martini glass (not sure which) and that will have the leftover jordan almonds (greek wedding) and M&Ms FH used in his proposal (they are in our colors and say "will you marry me").  If more filler is needed, I will probably use hershey kisses.  I will place a couple of clear plastic spoons around the glass so people don't stick their fingers in there. This will provide a bit of color, look elegant and the tallness of the vase leaves plenty of room on the 2x2 table for the placecards.  For the cake table, I have a sheer silver scroll-like overlay over the white cloth, and I will add a few votives for sparkle but other than that, the cake IS the decoration.  Hope these help!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:29 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

Here is what I did.

Guest book table: We used one of our altar flower arrangements. The church didn't require we donate them (as I've heard some do), so we used one there and the other at the appetizer table. I also had two candles.

Gift table: I was irked that there even was one. We got married 9 days before Christmas, so I set up a 1950's retro aluminum Christmas tree that I wanted the gifts to be placed under. The reception hall set one up without consulting us and the guests used that. I was disappointed. The tree pictures would have been cute. I would leave it as just a table cloth. Whatever you put on there will just be moved around by guests as they try to fit their gift on the table.

Head table- We had 6 of us at the table. We had three of the same centerpieces as the guest tables. The only reason I did this instead of using my and my MOH's bouquets is because the centerpieces used candles and I liked the soft glow it gave our table.

The cake table- kept it fairly simple. No candles, but we threw down some clear, sparkly confetti that was made to look like snow, added some of those stones you use in vases in our color, and then we had two Mercury glass Christmas trees i our color next to the cake. I had an all white cake so I wanted to add some color, and the trees gave it some height (instead of just color on the table).

cake

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: fantasybride

The battery operated tealights and votives are an awesome choice. I found some that had been used for four hours online at craigslist.com (I got 80 candles for 40 bucks). And there should be about 8 hours minimum left. And I certainly don't need them for 8 hours! :) So I will be selling them after our wedding. If you could find someone ELSE selling their used battery operated candles, it would be a smart investment. Even if they have been used more than once, you can buy the replacement batteries online cheap!!!
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine