Quitting Smoking & I soooo need support!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Quitting Smoking & I soooo need support!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 7:36 PM

Hello all! I finally did it. I couldn't take smoking anymore. I have gotten to where I hate it. I think I only kept on as long as I have because FH still smokes.

Soooo, since he's still smoking & I am not, I need you guys help. I'm using the patch & feel fine not smoking but I'm like super crazy bitchy. Any ideas for keeping myself sane? Day 1 is done. Can't get worse than today.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Abc12345678 Posts : 272 Registered: 2/25/07
Re: Quitting Smoking & I soooo need support!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

10042008Bride Posts : 82 Registered: 9/11/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I just wanted to say I love your little picture!  Boo Bear is my nickname for FH.  :)  I wish you best of luck in quitting smoking.  I'm a smoker and I think all the time about quitting.  Maybe after the wedding I can do it.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: 10042008Bride

Kacie--Thank you!  That's amazing that your dad quit after so long.  I don't even smoke inside my house...(well a few times because I got freaked out by a bug or something outside at night), but I've started to notice everything smells funny. 

FH wants to quit, but he's kind of like your FH....the whole stress thing.  He manages/bartends at a very nice (and very busy) Italian place...so you know how the restaurant industry works!  I'm not gonna tell him he has to quit, but I have asked that he reduce his intake around me. 

S2BMPotter-  Too cute that's your nickname for your FH.  I call him BooBear or Rupert (like Stewie's bear in Family Guy) and well, I'm Mushaboo or just Boo.  I love nicknames!  :-)

The reason I'm quitting now is because I don't want any wedding day photos of me sneaking outside for a smoke holding my flowers.  LOL  Plus, I'm sure I will gain 5 or 10 lbs from the withdrawal of having nothing to do and I want to have time to take that weight back off. 

I just want to be healthy.  With the pollen everywhere, I've noticed that my allergies are MUCH worse as a smoker.  But trust me, I am so hating life right now. lol  I have nervous twitches and I just keep walking around the house like a lunatic.

I did put a funny sticker on my driver's license (only 26 so I always get carded).  It's right beside my DOB and it says "Trying to quit!  Don't sell me sh*t!  lmao 

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Good luck!!! I am a smoker (look down in shame). And FH is a smoker. I had quit for over 4 months last year while I was staying with my grandparents (had a hip replacement and needed someone to be around and help me 24/7). Once I moved back in with FH it took about 2 weeks for me to start back up!! My best advice is to stay away from smokers, and situations in which you smoke. And try to stay busy, I smoke a lot because I'm bored. Again, good luck!!
The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 6:08 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Some of the tips which will help you quit smoking are • Deep Breathing is the first and foremost important technique. Inhale the deepest lung-full of air you can, and then, very slowly, exhale. Every time you feel like smoking, do this three to four times. Following this consistently would surely have a good effect. • Drink lots of water and fluids which will help flush out the nicotine from your body. • Avoid fatty foods, sugar and coffee. Try having cup of mint tea or a peppermint candy after dinner.
Smile

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Congratulations on reaching this decision! I know how hard it is. I smoked for 15 years and it took me a total of five years to quit and have been smoke free for three years. I used the patch at first, quit for 3 months, slipped. Never, ever let yourself believe you can have just one. Nobody who is addicted can have just one. I also wrote a contract to myself that I put on the fridge, told my buddy who always lent my ciggies not to give me anymore no matter what, used nicorette when I drank because I had a very strong association between smoking and drinking. I didn't drink every time I smoked, but I sure smoked every time I drank. Another idea I saw from a Dr. on the Oprah show is instead of saying "quitting smoking" use a phrase like "breathe easier" because the brain sees "quitting smoking and drops the quitting. I would urge you to go to her website and just type in smoking. She has lots of articles about the emotional aspects of becoming smoke free such as feeling like cigarettes are friends and what to do once your friend is gone. They recommend using multiple techniques to ensure success. Good luck, it is worth it.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Steph- The deep breathing thing is helping a lot.  I found this article on WebMD that gave little exercises to do at work (almost like yoga but built for a cubicle).  I'm listening to a lot more of relaxing music at work too....like Michael Buble & DMB. 

I am GREAT when I am alone!  Just perfect.  FH promises to be good about not smoking around me.

Tanis- I'll check out the website!  Thanks!!!!

Lovefest08 Posts : 34 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Well, I'm proud of you for quitting smoking! It is sooooo hard, especially during a stressful time like planning a wedding.

My FH and I quit about 3 and a half years ago. But, it was ONLY because he had a spontaneous collapsed lung and had to spend 5 days in the hospital with a tube shoved into his chest. I guess you could call this a "silver lining"?!

Trust me, you will be so glad that you quit eventually. I won't lie to you and tell you that it gets any easier, because it doesn't. Our friends still smoke and it's hard for us to be around it, and to be in smokey bars.. but, ah well. You can do it!

Hopefully your FH can quit, it makes it so much easier. And healthier!

Good luck!

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: Lovefest08

Well, so far I have made it through 4 days.  I have been in a bar.  The guy beside me wouldn't stop smoking.  Honestly, I found it easier to ignore him and focus on having a good time.

FH has been great about not smoking in his or my car.  He walked away at the bar on Friday to go smoke.  He's carrying gum with him.  Just being really cute.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 8:20 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Good work! Research says it takes three days to get the nicotine out of your system so you are through the worst of the physical part. Remember - no such thing as just one. Good luck and send me a message any time you need backup :)

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Thank you thank you!  My saving grace has actually been yoga and sunflower seeds.  Let's face it.  You smoke most of the time out of stress or boredom.  At work, I have a pile of sunflower seeds in the shell.  Opening them and eating them works my hands so that takes away from the craving at work.  If I get too pissy (since I do medical claims pricing) I just get up, close my eyes and just stretch for like 10 minutes.  My supervisor is a huge health freak so she's cool with me acting a bit odd for a while. 

Posted: May 21, 2008 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Just checking in on you. Are you still hanging in there?

Posted: May 21, 2008 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Yeah, I'm still good!  Thanks for checking in.  I slipped a couple of times the second week, but I don't count that as too much of a loss.  I mean going from a pack a day to 3 in one weekend.  Also, it was a bad weekend.  FH told me he was moving because his job transferred him.  (Ah, moment of weakness.) 

LaughingThanks for checking in on me. 

Posted: May 21, 2008 4:26 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

You are very welcome! I know when it comes to health it definitely helps to know someone is keeping an eye on you (I say as I nibble on my hint of lime tostitos.lol)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine