So it didn't happen....

Online Users: 1,275 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 174

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
So it didn't happen....
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:42 AM

OK I have to start by saying that I think I am crazy!!!! I have been with my boyfriend now for 4 years. We have been talking about getting married a lot in the last 2 months. I mean he asked me the size ring I wear and even sent me pictures of rings he thought I would like. So I have been going crazy thinking he is going to pop the question any day now, especially today though because it was our anniversary. And it didn't happen. I am so bummed, but I know that I shouldn't be because he will do it when he wants to do it. I know he is ready because he has told me. But I am making myself crazy! I come on this website everyday and am completely obsessed!!!! Sorry guys! I just needed to vent I suppose!

krista210 Posts : 450 Registered: 7/14/07
Re: So it didn't happen....
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

before FH proposed to me I obsessed about it too and would get pouty every time a special day came and passed. He told me he didn't want to do it on a special day because it just wasnt his style (and now June24 has special meaning for me!!). So maybe your BF is just waiting for the right moment for HIM, not for you?? Don't worry - it sounds like its going to happen, let us know when it does!
DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thanks girl!!! I know ti is going to happen. i just wish I would stop obsessing about it! I have been trying so hard to NOT think about it, but that might last one day. Its so pathetic. I have thrown myself into so many other things in the last couple of months but nothing is helping! Whats worse is my BF KNOWS I am on this website every free moment! Even tonight he made comments about me coming on here! He just thinks it is so funny! Oh man I am such a nerd...

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Perhaps he is trying to wait for a time when you will least expect it so that you will be surprised?  I know the anticipation can be a killer.  My FH got my ring around christmas 2005 and didn't propose until v-day 2006-that was a long two months!  And even then I didn't think he was proposing, he knew I expected it so he waited until the end of the night, after I was given all my other surprises and I though he was done.

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:44 AM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

I know.... I just need to stop thinking about it. It is sooooo hard though!!!! I am sure you all know! I HATE surprises! I am the girl who has to be in control of everything. It is so hard to not be able to control this. And my BF knows this. He knows that I am expecting it. We celebrated our anniversary last night because I had to work late tonight. I told him a few weeks ago that I would be comptetly happy if he proposed over a dinner or in bed before we go to sleep. I am not high maintenance. (side note: I have FIVE sister who keep harassing him! So he feels like the proposal should be amazing.) I just want it to happen already!!!!

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 4:14 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I say enjoy the anticipation!  I know, that's easy to say when I'm already engaged, but I've been there too-me and FH were together for over 5 years before he popped the question, I know how it feels to wait!  And now we've been engaged for over two years- we'll get married just short of our eight year dating anniversary.  But well get there, and that is what matters, and you'll get there too!  All good things are worth the wait!!!

Oh yeah, and Happy Anniversary!!

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

Message was edited by: 2BBauer

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 4:26 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I know exactly what you are going through because when FH proposed I had already been with him to the jeweler to help design my ring (it is made with diamonds from his grandmother's wedding ring)  and he wanted to surprise me, so he waited until a day that had no special meaning and proposed when I was in my PJ's sitting at the computer (reading Brides.com message boards, no less).  It was wonderful, because it was a surprise and it was also very "us."  So don't worry, it will happen, and when it does, you will be extatic!!!

I marry the man of my dreams 5/2/09!

flowr Posts : 72 Registered: 3/27/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

i am in the same boat!!! my boyfried and i looked at rings and i picked out what i liked. he told me he didn't get me a big bday gift because he has a big "expense" coming up (meaning the ring) and that he hopes i understand... we have already discussed what the wedding will be like and when it will be. all day on my bday i expected it, and it didn't happen.. it was pretty funny actually now that i think about it. anyway, i was a bit dissapointed, so i feel you!! i am also getting venue prices and constantly looking on this site without a ring yet...

a friend told me it took her BF a few months to get the ring after he ordered it bc he was getting the right size and design. maybe that is what is happening with our BF's?? i hope SO!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

I feel a lot better now!!! Thank you all. I really thought it was going to happen yesterday because we celebrated our anniversary a day early early, so he gave me my gift on sunday morning. Then on sunday night he left a card and a huge bottle of champagne on my side of the bed, but then didnt want to drink the champagne. SO last night when I got home he popped open the champagne. I swear when I heard that pop I kept thinking ok this is it. I even checked in the mirror to see if I looked ok incase it was on film or pictures were taken (I am out of control!). But when I walked out into the living room he handed me the glass said "happy anniversary", gave me a kiss and asked me to watch a basket ball game with him. I am pretty sure you all are right. He knows I am waiting for it. He knows I stalk brides.com every day! I just hate the anticipation!

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

This is exactly why I LOVE it here!  I never feel like a complete idiot.  I have been doing the same thing.  I don't know how many times I have thought...this is going to be the day (Christmas, birthday, Halloween, Groundhog's Day).  Last weekend, we had 'the talk' again.  He was like, "I know you don't want me to tell you, it's going to happen next week."  Well, I don't but I kinda do at the same time.  We have looked at rings...the more time goes by the more I change my mind about what I want.  So, I'm like do it already, I'll be happy...I promise.  lol!  So, I'm so happy to know that I'm not in the boat of anticipation all by myself...drifting.
Kiss 

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Anticipation can be a good thing - it'll make it all the more exciting when he finally does!  I know how you feel, though... FH and I had been talking about marriage for a while, and had actually already put a deposit on the location and date (just hadn't told anyone).  He had me convinced he wasn't going to propose until after Christmas.  Then, one night we were out to eat at "our" restaurant, and after the dessert came he got down on one knee.  He was so sweet - he had even grabbed my cell phone from the house before we left so I could call everyone afterwards. 

I know it's hard, but just be patient!  It's all worth it in the end. 

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have no doubt that we are getting married.  He asked me in November - then got me a promise ring until we picked out what we wanted. 

Three months of working with a jeweler and our rings are completed and sitting in his drawer for the last month.  He wants to "do it the right way".  So here I am waiting............. for 'the right moment', when I least expect it.............. hehehehe

Anticipation is fun.... but driving me crazy!  I told FH that I swear that the whole wedding will be planned by the time he asks...  hehehehe

Enjoy the journey....   Laughing

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

AutumnWedding Posts : 27 Registered: 3/6/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: KPM

I, too had to wait.  I thought the anticipation was going to kill me!  My FH and I have been together for 9 years.  I knew that he went shopping in November... he didn't want to do it on a holiday.  He wanted it to be it's own special day.  HE wanted to be unique.  I don't know if "leap day"  feb. 29th is considered a holiday, but it is definitely unique.  So there I was, laying in my bed falling asleep and he started getting all sappy with me!  It finally happened and I was totally surprised. 

Just remember the saying,  "Good things come to those who wait". 

He will propose and it will be perfect!  :)

Message was edited by: AutumnWedding

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I am so, so happy I read this thread!  I'm in exactly the same boat.  We've talked about the ring, he's asked what kind of proposal I might like, we've even mentioned dates we might like to hold the wedding on.  But no official proposal yet.

We have a bunch of fun things planned for the spring and summer -- like a weekend at our favorite B&B and a camping trip.  I keep wondering if he'll propose at the B&B, or if he'll pop the question on the camping trip, or if he'll find some other way to do it.  And in the meantime I can't seem to stay away from Brides.com -- he's even caught me looking!  (He hugged me and said that was adorable.  I still felt embarrassed.) 

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: XYZ1

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Victorian way of settling situations like yours:  the girl's father would sit the guy down and "ask him his intentions."  In this man-to-man conversation, the boyfriend was given a choice: either ask Dad for his daughter's hand or hit the road, Jack.

What do you think would happen if fathers tried this in our day & age?

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine