So it didn't happen....

Online Users: 1,351 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 174

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Re: So it didn't happen....
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

My mother and I talk about it all the time, Eve.  I know that things in my relationship would be quite different if my father were alive (he died long b4 I started dating).  He was the kind of man who would indeed ask just that.  Put up or shut up...buddy!!!
Kiss 

BlushingBride03 Posts : 220 Registered: 7/15/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

aw don't worry! the same thing happened to me! I was anticipating for like, a year! I was seriously going nuts and picked out like everything I wanted in a wedding already... hahaha. And then on April 19 he finally did (the day before his birthday!)

and now that it happened, I'm kind of like, o crap, I actually have to seriously start planning now! lol!

I've been there so I know it's tough, but try to enjoy the excitement!

Soon-to-be Mrs. S.Daisypath Ticker

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

lol, Eve, don't give my dad any ideas! 

Actually, if my dad did that, my boyfriend would likely throw away whatever proposal he'd been planning and propose the next day.  He is a confident, charming man, but for some reason he seems to be really intimidated by my dad.  It's actually kind of cute :-)

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I totally know how you feel.  My FH and I started seriously  talking about getting married in early 2007.  Then in April he told me to get my finger sized and show him so pics of styles I like.  So I was all psyched up for it!  After that every trip we went on, every special day that came, I was SURE he was going to do it.  And then I'd just end up pissed off when it wouldn't happen (we'd be driving home from a great trip and he'd wonder why I was so quiet- in my mind I'd be thinking "because you didn't propose dammit!!!")

Well, he ended up proposing in December (8months after the ring talk!!!).   Let me tell you, it was definitely worth the wait! He proposed to me in front of the big Christmas tree while we were ice skating in Rockafellar Center. 

So while I know this is killing you, it will happen.  (and let us all know when it does!!)

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Trust me, if you think you are crazy, then don't fret, there are hundreds of other crazy out there with you including me.  (Before the proposal)

My then boyfriend made me wait a while before he popped the question.  Evereytime we went out of town, or a holiday or special ocassion would come and he wouldn't propose, I thought I would choke his ass to death!!! 

But he finally did on New Year's Eve and it was so sweet.  My advice is to be as patient as possible, it will come when you least expect it!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I would have laughed myself silly if my dad had told FH to marry or hit the road. XD That's what my mom did to him - he got cold feet about five different times (one time RIGHT OUTSIDE THE COURTHOUSE!) and finally my mom was like "look, either marry me, or hit the road."

I think guys would think a lot more seriously about it, that's for sure.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

He wants to surprise you so stop talking about it!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

I am so glad that I am not the freak I thought I was!!!! I have become so consumed with the whole idea of being engaged. It is driving me crazy. I really wish that I would just stop thinking about it! So it has been about 2 months since he sent me pictures of rings and I sent him pictures. I am sure once I am actually engaged, I will look back at these days and say how amazing they were, but right now this SUCKS!!! I am driving myself crazy!! I am so glad there are other girls in my boat. Well I am not glad because I do not wish this upon anyone!!!Thanks ladies for all the support. I will for sure keep you all posted if and when this engagement ever happens!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 11:39 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Dear Meagan, I'm sorry for your loss.  I can imagine how you and your mother must miss your father. 

The first time I got married, my mom (the one who raised me . . . complicated story, I have 2 mothers) had died of ovarian cancer about a year earlier.  My then-boyfriend had been keeping me on pins & needles about when I would get my E-ring -- so I can relate to the suspense you ladies are suffering through! -- but he managed to give it to me while Mom was still alive. 

I know in retrospect that getting through the wedding was really hard for my dad and for my mom's mother.  If I had it to do over again, I think I would have asked my dad not to bring his new girlfriend to the wedding as his "date," because I know that really offended my grandmother.  But since he was paying for everything, it really was up to him.  I just don't know if he thought ahead of time how my grandmother would feel about that.

Anyway, sorry, I'm getting off the subject.  I hope each of you will not be in suspense too much longer!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 8:06 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

my DH mentioned marriage around new years of '07.  i was thrilled,  we had only been dating a year but i knew from early on that he was the one and i was waiting for it!!!  i am also the type of person that has to be in control of everything!!!  i get obsessed, overwhelmed, when i want something it is all encompassing.  

fast forward to only 3 weeks later.  he proposes!!!  even though that was in retrospect a short wait, it was excruciating at the time!!! i am so glad he asked me when he did because i would have turned MORE crazy!!  i was thinking about it every second of every day.  i bought a bridal magazine and then stashed it, refusing to let myself indulge until i had the ring!  i wanted it there so i could tear in the second i got my ring!!!!

i think i was testy, tense, and irritable every single say i waited!  afterwards i was in a glow for days.  it was the best ever!  being engaged is the best thing.  being married is the best thing!  everything after he asked me to be his wife was worth those days of longing!

go easy on yourself!  relax if you can, these days are going to be part of the memories!!

*hugs* 

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Ahhh... Engagementnoia -that quality that you read into every little trip/evening out/run to the grocery store and expect a proposal.  It's like paranoia, but with far crankier results.  It happened to me for about six months.  We went to SC on vacation I expected a proposal -it didn't happen.  We did a show together -it didn't happen.  He would suggest going to the store, and I'd think that it was a code to get me to go somewhere else.  He also started this horrible habit (which went away after he proposed!) of suggesting we "take a walk" in different picturesque locations (or even nonpicturesque locations!)  and I'd get all excited.... and nothing would happen.  And then I'd turn into a royal bitch on wheels at the end of the evening, because I was SO let down, and I couldn't say anything about it!  It's not like you can say "I'm angry because I expected you to propose, and you didn't!!!"

Don't worry, you're not alone -it happens to us all.

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

FALL everything you said is exactly how I feel and have been actin. But I have been waiting more then 2 weeks and the frustration keeps growing! I try not to let him see me get upset because I don't want him to make me wait any longer! But I get completely let down and I go into the bedroom to check out brides.com. I too have bought magazines, but I read them. I wouldn't be able to put them away and wait for something that I have no idea when it will come. We are going to Hawaii at the end of June and I do NOT want to wait that long. I told him if we are engaged before Hawaii it could be our celebration trip. Hopefully he takes my advice. We are also going to be going to dinner on June 15 with my family and his mom to celebrate his and my younger sisters graduation. He is not the kind of guy that would do something like that in front of everyone. I dont think I would want him to! My family is huge!!! Oh well.... Ill just have to keep waiting...

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thanks Eve.  We do miss him terribly, right before he died my maternal grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer...so it was a really rough time for us.  But hopefully, paternal grandfather will be able to walk me down the aisle (he recently beat prostate cancer, himself).

I hosted a dinner party in the fall of 06, and a friend of mine bought me a bottle of wine.  We didn't get around to opening it.  So, it has been sitting on my wine rack since then.  I wonder if it's flat by now?
Kiss 

Message was edited by: meaganpw98

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

awe!  i hope it is soon for you!  i agree that the trip to hawaii will be so much better with a ring on your finger!!!  

keep trying to stay positive! 

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 1:14 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

OK so I have a little update. My boyfriend asked me if I would make him dinner tonight and I told him I would if he bought me a ring. So he said we would talk about it while he was eating dinner. SO I frantically threw something together for him and while he was eating I asked him when I got my ring. He said when it comes. So I asked him what he ment and he said that he finally ordered it a few nights ago and once it gets here I wont have to wait very long for it. I am so horrible!!! I jst can't go on without knowing things. I have to know everything. He wouldn't tell me which ring he got or which website he got it from. But who cares!!!! I just hope he is not pulling my leg.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine